Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 8:05:33 PM EDT
I played Halo a while ago on my friends Xbox.  I saw it for PC for $20 so I picked it up for fun.

FX5200 video card choked big time.  If I turn all the video setting to the lowest settings, then I can play it without to much dificulty, but still some choppynes.

The graphics don't seem any better than Half Life 2, and HL2 runs fine with my video card.

So a $20 game turned into a $160 game.  Cause I went and ordered a Geforce 6800XT 128MB
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121206&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=14-121-206

It is just nuts how badly the game runs, when other games of equal or better graphics run fine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Half Life 2's Source engine is an incredibly efficient engine.   It scales incredibly well to lower end hardware like no game I've ever seen before.  The people that coded it deserve a medal IMO.  There's too much inefficient shit out there these days in terms of software, that it's amazing that a company spent the time and money to do it RIGHT.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Half Life 2's Source engine is an incredibly efficient engine.   It scales incredibly well to lower end hardware like no game I've ever seen before.  The people that coded it deserve a medal IMO.  There's too much inefficient shit out there these days in terms of software, that it's amazing that a company spent the time and money to do it RIGHT.

The last thing they deserve is a medal, because they also worked on STEAMingpileofdonkeyshit.  There should be prison sentences for that horrible piece of malware/spyware.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I played Halo a while ago on my friends Xbox.  I saw it for PC for $20 so I picked it up for fun.

FX5200 video card choked big time.  If I turn all the video setting to the lowest settings, then I can play it without to much dificulty, but still some choppynes.

The graphics don't seem any better than Half Life 2, and HL2 runs fine with my video card.

So a $20 game turned into a $160 game.  Cause I went and ordered a Geforce 6800XT 128MB
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121206&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=14-121-206

It is just nuts how badly the game runs, when other games of equal or better graphics run fine.

Horrible coding by the studio that converted it for the PC, thats what it boils down to.  The coding is so bad you would almost think that EA would have been responsible.  Halo was meant for the xbox anyways.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Horrible coding by the studio that converted it for the PC, thats what it boils down to.  The coding is so bad you would almost think that EA would have been responsible.  Halo was meant for the xbox anyways.

When Halo was originally being written by Bungie (pre MS), they were working it up on a 450 MHz G4 Mac, and it ran smooth and fast. MS bought Bungie specifically to obtain Halo, through out the original code, and worked it up FROM SCRATCH for the X-Box. The current PC and Mac builds of Halo are ports of the console game, and poorly done at that.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
GeForce 6800XT Kicks ASS!!!!!

Turned everything I could all the way up on Halo's graphics.  No problems at all.  Smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last thing they deserve is a medal, because they also worked on STEAMingpileofdonkeyshit.  There should be prison sentences for that horrible piece of malware/spyware.

When you mean Steam you mean Battlefield 2 right?

I've never had any problems with Steam as long as your on your DSL or faster.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:04:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is going to sound weird, since it looks like I'm replying to myself, but it was actually EladEflow on my account.

I think he means just the fact that Half-Life 2 is a Steam game - updates through Steam, verifies through Steam, etc.

I think EA made Battlefield 2, didn't they? While Sierra/Valve (whichever it is) made Half-Life 2.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is going to sound weird, since it looks like I'm replying to myself, but it was actually EladEflow on my account.

I think he means just the fact that Half-Life 2 is a Steam game - updates through Steam, verifies through Steam, etc.

I think EA made Battlefield 2, didn't they? While Sierra/Valve (whichever it is) made Half-Life 2.

Yes, Half Life 2 is a steam game.

Battlefield 2 is an EA game.  EA isnt much better than steam, but it still isnt steam.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont like steam anymore. After a update that happened a long while back, everything that has to do with the source engine crashes hard. Its really unstable now. I use to be able to play it all just fine and then after an update it became ustable during map changes and when the C4 would explode. I miss playin it. But oh well, at least BF2 plays fine

PLUS, Ill be building a new gaming rig here soon and I seriously doubt it will be crashing for any reasons then.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Halo was meant for the xbox anyways.

having played both versions, I much prefer the PC. KB/mouse combo blows that x-box game pad away
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top