Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 5:54:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 5:54:34 AM EST by chrism101]
This is on our hospitals newsletter...

Mercy Begins System-wide Single-Use Device Reprocessing

According to Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, some medical devices that are labeled “single-use” can be safely reused if processed properly. As part of an ongoing effort to ensure patient safety and conserve resources, Mercy is standardizing its single-use device reprocessing procedures and using a single outside vendor, Ascent Healthcare Solutions, for reprocessing of certain devices labeled single use. The overall effort is expect to save $1.5 million.

An Ascent bin will be placed in all Mercy operating rooms. Clinicians are asked to place used items in the bins rather than the trash. Ascent will pick up the bins, sort through the items, and decontaminate and sterilize devices appropriate for re-use. The cleaned items will be returned to the facility.

Standardizing this practice provides Mercy an opportunity to safely reprocess more items than before, which reduces device replacement cost and frees resources to improve patient care. In addition, Mercy is preserving the environment by reducing the amount of medical waste added to landfills. Researching potential benefits of reprocessing has been selected by Mercy leadership to support a System-wide Savings and Growth Initiative.

ROi’s Director of Operational Support Services, Stacy Howard, currently is visiting Mercy facilities to establish the process and educate clinicians on reprocessing. For more information or to schedule a visit, call 314-302-3368.

Thats bullshit, i dont want a reused anything used on me, especially while I pay full price for it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:55:56 AM EST
I'd be real nervous about that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:56:00 AM EST
If I am paying for it, I want it to be reused on me as many time as possible.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:58:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 5:58:15 AM EST by surveyor3]
You would hope they'd change the "sheath" on the thermometers to prevent any ATM incidents.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:58:32 AM EST
And that savings is going to passed on to the patients, right?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:20:53 AM EST
The single use scissors ,tweezers, etc that they use at our hospital is stainless pakistan if that helps.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:30:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By myfakename:

Heck no. One of the high ups whats a new yacht, or has to buy some big fake tits.
If a few people get staph the yacht will still float. So will those tits.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:04:36 AM EST
Yeah, we woudn't want to figure out sensible ways to help keep overall costs down, because someone might get richer than me.

Some people DESERVE Obamacare.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:31:26 AM EST

Im not seeing any love from them on my pay check...

But i cannot believe there is a company to dig through the fucking trash in the OR / ER and pull shit out to reprocess...
I mean what the fuck, is it not gonna fail at some point, or not clean up well...

Im just
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:58:06 AM EST
meh ...

long as the sterilize it properly who cares ...

most of the people who will bitch have tattoos done with needles that they have no idea about the sterility of ...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:25:39 AM EST
It's all about controlling costs, kids.

We provide a lot more advanced care now than in years past, so technology has driven up the cost of care. Inflation is another. Torts are another... but the other big thing that's driven it up is cost-shifting.

Some hospitals are fat, but other hospitals are trying to stay in business by saving money any way they can. That means restricting/encouraging certain drugs (that they get a price break on), going with a single brand of prosthetic hardware for the OR (that they get a price break on), using a single brand/vendor of laparoscopy equipment and hardware, directly employing physicians and taking a cut from the doctors' billing (my favorite ), charging insured patients more, advertising to bring in more volume, employing social workers to get vagrants, homeless, and other non-payors out of the hospital faster, cutting back nursing shifts, cutting back overtime, and on and on.

Healthcare is a business... and a lousy one at that. Where else do you render the service first, and then get paid what some third-party person decides it's worth after-the-fact? "Single-use" stuff is going to become a luxury, except where it's cheaper to use single-use stuff. They'll re-sterilize and re-use everything they can (they tried to make me use disposable, plastic, single-use laryngoscope blades that they'd already used and resterilized... I put a stop to that sh*t after I broke two of them intubating patients. The sterilization process makes the plastic brittle )

Ever wonder why your insurance costs are going up-up-up? It ain't greed on the part of your doctor... in terms of inflation-adjusted dollars, he's making less than he's ever made.

The cost of doing business has gone nowhere but up. Taxes have gone up. Insurance rates have gone up. Rents, employee costs, electric, phone, cable, etc have also gone nowhere but up.

And what's the federal government doing? They're CUTTING what they pay doctors/hospitals and have been doing so for years. As the federal government cuts medicare payments, SO DOES EVERYBODY ELSE. You see, private insurers index their reimbursement rates off of medicare... so if medicare cuts back (like they're planning on doing Jan 1 2010, to the tune of 21%), everybody else ends up cutting their reimbursement too.

How many businesses do you know that can just suck up a 21% cut?

As less money comes in from the fedgov (and you can't charge medicare/tricare/medicaid patients more than what the fedgov allows... that's illegal), doctors and hospitals end up having to make it up elsewhere... and that means getting it from the insured patients... so up go your insurance premiums.

Look... hospitals barely break even (most lose money) on medicare... and they ALL lose money on medicaid. They make up the difference on the backs of the Blue Cross, Aetna, etc insured patients that are treated there.

There is no free lunch... EMTALA requires that anybody who shows up sick to the ER/hospital gets treated, the fedgov keeps cutting, our society keeps aging, and people keep demanding everything/anything under the sun be done to/for them, on pain of hordes of flesh-eating lawyers being unleashed to crawl into your rectum, and eat their way up to your ileocecal valve.

There's no way to stop the bleeding.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:28:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By surveyor3:
You would hope they'd change the "sheath" on the thermometers to prevent any ATM incidents.

BWAAAHAHAHAHA!!! LULS x 10000!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:29:55 AM EST
Thier just prepping for the coming healthcare fiasco.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:30:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By chrism101:

According to Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, some medical devices that are labeled “single-use” can be safely reused if processed properly. As part of an ongoing effort to ensure patient safety and conserve resources, Mercy is standardizing its single-use device reprocessing procedures and using a single outside vendor, Ascent Healthcare Solutions, for reprocessing of certain devices labeled single use. The overall effort is expect to save $1.5 million.

An Ascent bin will be placed in all Mercy operating rooms. Clinicians are asked to place used items in the bins rather than the trash. Ascent will pick up the bins, sort through the items, and decontaminate and sterilize devices appropriate for re-use. The cleaned items will be returned to the facility.

Standardizing this practice provides Mercy an opportunity to safely reprocess more items than before, which reduces device replacement cost and frees resources to improve patient care. In addition, Mercy is preserving the environment by reducing the amount of medical waste added to landfills. Researching potential benefits of reprocessing has been selected by Mercy leadership to support a System-wide Savings and Growth Initiative.

ROi’s Director of Operational Support Services, Stacy Howard, currently is visiting Mercy facilities to establish the process and educate clinicians on reprocessing. For more information or to schedule a visit, call 314-302-3368.

Thats bullshit, i dont want a reused anything used on me, especially while I pay full price for it.

They probably ought to rethink that math. $1.5 million is nothing compared to the cost of a settlement or award.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:35:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By ARLady:

They probably ought to rethink that math. $1.5 million is nothing compared to the cost of a settlement or award.

And here we see, perfectly demonstrated, how tort concerns drive up the price of healthcare.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:36:23 AM EST
grayman: what do you think of doctors / hospitals that only take cash (ie, no insurance)?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:38:02 AM EST
Many years back as a teenager, I had a job at a dialysis place flushing filters with formaldehyde. I always wondered if that was really safe. Anyone know if they still do that?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:39:18 AM EST
HA! yeah you didn't know about this?

This has been going on a LONG time but not something that gets advertised.

As an employee of a medical device manufacturer this causes us a lot of problems, especially when the reprocessed shit breaks off inside somebody but it has our name all over it.

Who do you think is going to be on the hook? the fly-by-night reprocessor or a top tier manufacturer?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:39:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By jhud:

Heck no. One of the high ups whats a new yacht, or has to buy some big fake tits.
If a few people get staph the yacht will still float. So will those tits.

Well said.

( make sure they charge the patient to treat the staph infection you gave him.)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:41:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Healthcare is a business... and a lousy one at that. Where else do you render the service first, and then get paid what some third-party person decides it's worth after-the-fact? "Single-use" stuff is going to become a luxury, except where it's cheaper to use single-use stuff. They'll re-sterilize and re-use everything they can (they tried to make me use disposable, plastic, single-use laryngoscope blades that they'd already used and resterilized... I put a stop to that sh*t after I broke two of them intubating patients. The sterilization process makes the plastic brittle )

I never really understood disposable laryngoscope blades. A set of good blades doesn't cost that much.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:48:18 AM EST

And here we see, perfectly demonstrated, how tort concerns drive up the price of healthcare.

Greyman, if a device that is marked single use isn't properly "reprocessed" and someone dies or gets daAids or some other ailment because of it, shouldn't it be expected that the Reprocessor and the Hospital be on the hook for it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:51:37 AM EST
It's all about controlling costs, kids.

We provide a lot more advanced care now than in years past, so technology has driven up the cost of care. Inflation is another. Torts are another... but the other big thing that's driven it up is cost-shifting.

Some hospitals are fat, but other hospitals are trying to stay in business by saving money any way they can. That means restricting/encouraging certain drugs (that they get a price break on), going with a single brand of prosthetic hardware for the OR (that they get a price break on), using a single brand/vendor of laparoscopy equipment and hardware, directly employing physicians and taking a cut from the doctors' billing (my favorite ), charging insured patients more, advertising to bring in more volume, employing social workers to get vagrants, homeless, and other non-payors out of the hospital faster, cutting back nursing shifts, cutting back overtime, and on and on.

Ever wonder why your insurance costs are going up-up-up? It ain't greed on the part of your doctor... in terms of inflation-adjusted dollars, he's making less than he's ever made.

The cost of doing business has gone nowhere but up. Taxes have gone up. Insurance rates have gone up. Rents, employee costs, electric, phone, cable, etc have also gone nowhere but up.

And what's the federal government doing? They're CUTTING what they pay doctors/hospitals and have been doing so for years. As the federal government cuts medicare payments, SO DOES EVERYBODY ELSE. You see, private insurers index their reimbursement rates off of medicare... so if medicare cuts back (like they're planning on doing Jan 1 2010, to the tune of 21%), everybody else ends up cutting their reimbursement too.

How many businesses do you know that can just suck up a 21% cut?

As less money comes in from the fedgov (and you can't charge medicare/tricare/medicaid patients more than what the fedgov allows... that's illegal), doctors and hospitals end up having to make it up elsewhere... and that means getting it from the insured patients... so up go your insurance premiums.

Look... hospitals barely break even (most lose money) on medicare... and they ALL lose money on medicaid. They make up the difference on the backs of the Blue Cross, Aetna, etc insured patients that are treated there.

There is no free lunch... EMTALA requires that anybody who shows up sick to the ER/hospital gets treated, the fedgov keeps cutting, our society keeps aging, and people keep demanding everything/anything under the sun be done to/for them, on pain of hordes of flesh-eating lawyers being unleashed to crawl into your rectum, and eat their way up to your ileocecal valve.

There's no way to stop the bleeding.

Blah, blah, blah. Does any of that drivel have to do with me getting my free health care? Cause if not then just shut yer yap-hole and get on board. I don't care what it takes or who it kills as long it never costs me a dime to walk into a waiting room and wait 10hrs to get my 5 minutes with the RN.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:56:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 8:56:53 AM EST by Grunteled]
Originally Posted By lostnswv:

Greyman, if a device that is marked single use isn't properly "reprocessed" and someone dies or gets daAids or some other ailment because of it, shouldn't it be expected that the Reprocessor and the Hospital be on the hook for it?

I think he's referring to the damned if ya do, damned if you don't situation.

- The glorious leaders of the American fatherland call you to reduce your costs at every oppertunity or they, in their glorious benevolence will legislatively guide you into such cuts.

- Do not reduce safety, quality, or quantity of care. Do so and the Fatherland will punish you and the populous will be stoked in their rage at your heartless ways.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:58:18 AM EST
Yeah and we dont even have universal healthcare yet...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:54:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By Grunteled:
Originally Posted By lostnswv:

I think he's referring to the damned if ya do, damned if you don't situation.

- The glorious leaders of the American fatherland call you to reduce your costs at every oppertunity or they, in their glorious benevolence will legislatively guide you into such cuts.

- Do not reduce safety, quality, or quantity of care. Do so and the Fatherland will punish you and the populous will be stoked in their rage at your heartless ways.

Precisely.

People want to have everything and anything at their beck-and-call, but they want it cheap, yet they still want the ability to sue for mega-bucks if there's any sort of bad outcome in their bargain-priced care.

Something has to give. We could cut a huge amount of "defensive medicine" out of medical care by simply using clinical judgment and clinical decision rules. Believe it or not, an experienced, well-trained physician is actually right, most of the time... like in pediatric head injuries, for instance. Clinical decision rules could save a lot of CT scans, but you'd have to indemnify providers for following those rules, otherwise they're going to do sh*tloads of extra CT scans on anything even resembling a questionable call, all in an attempt to catch the 1% or so of bleeds that the clinical decision rules miss. One head-injured kid who requires total care for the rest of his life (and won't go on to become an astrophysicist) will bankrupt you.

Everyone demands their right to rip their pound of flesh out of the medical system in court (and hand half of it to their attorney), but they don't like the increase in cost that option creates. Well... WTF?

There is no free lunch. Pick your poison.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:01:05 AM EST
Wasn't that many years ago that almost everything was reused. As long as stuff is properly sterilized and disposed of when it no longer meets specs, I don't have an issue with this.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:02:12 AM EST
It would be interesting to track the nosocomial infection rate at this place. You have to hope the vendor uses enough Chlorox.

On the other hand, that sip of water you just got out of the cooler has been around the track a time or two.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:16:17 AM EST
I used to QA and R&D for a Third-party Medical reprocessor. Think of it as a laundry service for medical devices (not implantables). Items like sequential compression devices or compression sleeves are sterilized or High Level disnifected (a 6-log reduction, greater than the requirements of sterility, but sterility is not claimed since there are distinct methods which such as autoclaving, gamma or glutaraldyhyde which must be done for sterility).

Items are all individually approved by the FDA, proving they are fully capable of meeting/exceeding the requirements of the original Single Use device. They still must go through the PreMarket Notificaiton and approval processes, clinical trials, et al.

Why would you do it? Because most hospitals incinerate their medical waste, which is very costly, you can reduce the patient cost of each device from say a Kendal SCD sleeve as a SUD (Single Use Device) runs approximately $37 (in 2000 or so) for one patient. With reprocessing and using it as a multiuse item, that price drops down to effectively $7 per use. Saving upwards of 75% of the cost of the device. AND it reduces waste, incineration time, etc.

Now there were certainly medical devices I personally wouldn't want reused, (laryngal tubes, catheters) but I would be uncomfortable with them being used the first time, because I'm aware of what the warnings are on the damn thing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:21:55 AM EST
Big deal. Have you seen the stuff they throw away at hospitals? Scissors, tweezers, hemostats, tissue pick-ups, scalpel handles, etc.....it is ridiculous. I reuse this stuff in my office HUNDREDS of times.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:24:37 AM EST
i agree, always use new!

since i sell them to the hospitals
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:27:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 1:14:43 PM EST by goodoleboy]
I bring home all type of stuff from the hospital..Those plastic bed pans make great cereal bowls, and urine catch container is great for making sun tea..I dont see the big deal just wash real good with soap and hot water and they are clean..
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:35:01 AM EST

...As they should.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:08:54 PM EST
How much do you want to bet that you will be charged full price for each item that is being reused. Can you say, "Fraud" Boys and Girls?

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:13:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 12:14:59 PM EST by EPOCH96]

if the ER nurse puts the red probe instead of the blue one in your mouth, you have successfully pissed him off

do not believe him when he tells you one is for Celsius and one is for Fahrenheit
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:21:43 PM EST
I have heard that less that 10 years ago hospitals in AUS were still taking pacemakers out of dead bodies and reusing them as long as they had enough battery.

Almost all surgical instruments are re sterilized for daily use.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:06:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By TAMUJeep:
I have heard that less that 10 years ago hospitals in AUS were still taking pacemakers out of dead bodies and reusing them as long as they had enough battery.

Almost all surgical instruments are re sterilized for daily use.

They use the explanted pacers as external temporary pacemakers until they can implant a new one. I've been to third-world countries where this is common. Of course, they are gas sterilized first.

The only nation that will actually explant a pacer, re-sterilize it and re-implant it into someone else permanently is Israel.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:09:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 4:11:37 AM EST by chrism101]
Well we all know the story of the VA failing to get their scopes clean now dont we....

I bet you cant wait to find out that having your tonsils out, gave you the AIDS, from some dirty single use instrument that was inadequately reprocessed.

Of course there are a lot of nasty stuff that probably never gets cleanded in a hospital... Blood pressure cuffs, ekg leads, etc. etc. etc. but what are the effects of that? Oh wait hospital acquired infections, like MRSA.

If the FDA marked it single use only, didnt they have a reason?

And i want to see the workers and where this stuff is reprocessed... Who the fuck is going to take a job digging through medical waste?

Im betting it goes over the border to mexico.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:12:17 AM EST
As long as it properly steralized I see no problem.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:23:07 AM EST
First, you have to ask "why is it single use only" to begin with?

There is a piece of equipment I have used for years. It was made by a small company that touted how cheap it was because it could be resterilized 40+ times instead of being thrown away. Then they were bought out by a big company. And the new packaging said......Single Use Only. And the price didn't change.

Now. Think about that and tell me why.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:32:41 AM EST

Joke:

What is the difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer?

The taste.
Top Top