Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/2/2011 10:26:26 AM EDT
The wife and I just went to Walmart to print some of our wedding pictures for framing, using the self print machines.

Printed 3 8x10s, an order total of about $14.

Take the photos to the checkout counter, and the Toothless Manatee in Spandex asks "Can I see your written permission from the photographer to print these?"

Me: Huh!?"

Manatee:"These appear to be professionally taken photographs, so I need to see a release from the photographer"

Wife: "If we didn't own these prints, they'd have watermarks all over them, wouldn't they?"

Me:"Sorry, don't have one. We bought the prints from the photographer, on a CD, to be printed as we please. Not only that, I already checked the release in the computer when I selected the prints, stating they were mine to use."

Manatee:"Then you can't have them. Walmart policy"

Me:"That's fine, we won't take them. Now I just like to see you put $14 worth of merchandise through the paper-shredder."

And there she went. Grunting and sweating as she had to reach over and feed every 8x10 into the shredder.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#1]
That was dumb on the control nazi's part. Are you going to go to another walmart or walgreens?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Call the district manager and tell them the hippo won't let you buy printed copies of your wedding pictures and instead took them and put them into the shredder.

I would like to know what he says to that.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Release should be on the CD.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why would he steal his own wedding pictures?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep going back and doing it
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Fucking retard.

Just like the "is this ammunition for a rifle or a pistol?"

I got asked that last week buying 12ga birdshot.

I said pistol,
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He bought the prints on CD from a photographer. They put the release on th CD so you can print the release at the store.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Great idea!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People copy the proofs.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So he didn't have to buy more prints from the photographer at a higher price than printing them from Wal-Mart? Just because it's a photo of you doesn't mean you have the right to print it.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fucking retard.

I said pistol,

Could have been for the new 12 ga SCOTUS JUDGE
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#12]
You will not touch my photo's
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#13]
You should have pointed your wife to the pressure washers while you ran interference.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Fucking retard.

I said pistol,

Should have said subgun.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

How on earth can you know what's on the CDs?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I seem to be missing the pics of said wife?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Why not just tell them you took the pics ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I want to test this out at my Wal Mart now!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Printed ours at walgreens, less Herp not as much Derp

Congrats BTW
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm most impressed with the "toothless manatee in spandex" descriptor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Look 8 post and read.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Of all the shit in the world Walmart needs to worry about, printed photos? Really!?

How about sweep the floors first or something...
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#23]
And now you know why my parents got out of the wedding photography business.

Digital photography changed the dynamic and expectations of the entire industry.   I suppose next time try a Kinkos rather than WalMart.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I hope the OP was at least bladed at 45 during the confrontation.  I'm not sure a 45 degree blade would be sufficient for this situation.  OP would need a minimum of a 53 degree blade.  I can't imagine going through this situation.  I would have had a massive adrenaline dump.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope the OP was at least bladed at 45 during the confrontation.  I'm not sure a 45 degree blade would be sufficient for this situation.  OP would need a minimum of a 53 degree blade.  I can't imagine going through this situation.  I would have had a massive adrenaline dump.

Mmmmm. Paging NorCal.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Our Walmart did the same. Costco too. I'm not surprised.

Companies don't want to get in trouble for copyright violations.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's an awesome idea. OP needs to go fire off a couple hundred dollars worth when he knows that same Wal-Bot is working.
Hell, I'd even keep the cd with me to do it on every trip from now on. But I'm more of an asshole than most people.

OP, Walgreens doesn't care about releases.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Walmart did that to me with a photo of my wife's great, great, great, grandparents taken in 1884. Several pictures I took were refused as well as several other family photos. Lady said, "looks like these were taken my a professional photographer". I said, thank you. No, she said, I can't let you have these. She picked out the ones she "thought" I could have and said I could pay for those. I said, No thanks and walked out. She gave me a copy of the store policy. What she did to me was a stretch of that policy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Damn it, beat!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Our Walmart did the same. Costco too. I'm not surprised.

Companies don't want to get in trouble for copyright violations.

This. OP, if you don't have a release from the photographer, get one. Blame the law, not the business...
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fucking retard.

I said pistol,

Should have said subgun.  

The last time I bought ammo at WalMart I picked up a bunch of ammo for my daughters Sig522 and the rimfire conversion for her G17. When I was asked rifle or pistol I answered truthfully and said "both".

I thought the poor checkout girls head was going to explode. She sputtered for a minute and paged her manager. The manager came over, and after being filled in by the hapless kid behind the register she asked me again. Once again I answered "both", and I thought her head was going to explode. She explained to me that it had to be one or the other, and that a single gun couldn't be both a pistol AND a rifle

At that point I thought MY head was going to explode. Once I realized what the problem was I said "Oh! I understand what you mean now. I'll just get ammo for the rifle today, and I'll come back for pistol ammo tomorrow...".

Everyone was happy with that answer so I finally swiped my debit card, took my bag and left

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#32]
you shouldve bought her a pudding cup to bury the hatchet and take your photos home.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Similar thing happened to a friend of mine. The next day he used their website to send an order to the store for several hundred prints of his middle finger.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Take your business else where if you do not like their policy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Similar thing happened to a friend of mine. The next day he used their website to send an order to the store for several hundred prints of his middle finger.

Sweet

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Check the shredder at Walmart

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I prefer to have them delivered. http://www.mpix.com/ is who I use.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

haha this

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The wife and I just went to Walmart to print some of our wedding pictures for framing, using the self print machines.

Take the photos to the checkout counter, and the Toothless Manatee in Spandex asks "Can I see your written permission from the photographer to print these?"

Manatee:"These appear to be professionally taken photographs, so I need to see a release from the photographer"

Wife: "If we didn't own these prints, they'd have watermarks all over them, wouldn't they?"

Me:"Sorry, don't have one. We bought the prints from the photographer, on a CD, to be printed as we please. Not only that, I already checked the release in the computer when I selected the prints, stating they were mine to use."

Me:"That's fine, we won't take them. Now I just like to see you put $14 worth of merchandise through the paper-shredder."

And there she went. Grunting and sweating as she had to reach over and feed every 8x10 into the shredder.

Go anywhere but Walmart and buy a decent printer and photo paper and do then yourself at home.. Or just get the photo paper and use a friends printer.. In this day and age there should be no reason to ever use Walmarts photo center..FUCK Walmart..
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

haha this

Yes, but next time make it 20 8x10's. If they cave and let you buy them, decline and say you don't like the prints after all. Wal Mart's policy also states that you're not obligated to buy photos you're not happy with.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look 8 post and read.

How you got into my garage, into my safe, and found all that info on the fucking DVDs is beyond me.
Walmart should worry about selling more Chinese garbage instead of playing copyright patrol.

When I clicked the "copyright notice disclaimer - I agree" button on the machine, I relieved Walmart of their responsibility by stating I own the fucking pictures.

"Your photos look professional. I need a release". Give me a fucking break.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

As if walmart cares about waste.

The amount of asshattery at walmart due to fucked up corporate "leadership" and "middle management" is legendary.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Walmart Manatee  someone needs to photoshop this

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Exactly what I was gonna say, I'd be printing them and making them shread them untill thier machine ran out of ink, but I'm stupid like that, I don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I believe the OP when he said they were his to print. Please don't be questioning

his integrity.

My wife has run into the same thing when getting Pictures printed that I took.

In my opinion they should only refuse pictures with watermarks or a logo

on them.

This whole thing shows how a law can run a muck and most of them do.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Check the shredder at Walmart

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#47]
We had some expensive famikly pictures taken last year. It was way cheaper to buy the cd than to have the photographer make our prints. But I'm pretty sure that I remember Costco making my wife give them a release as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I work in  photo lab for Walgreens  and we have the same rules.  Its a 10k fine and my job for copyright violations if the photographer finds out about it.  Normally we ask for a proof of release  or have you fill out a form saying you took it yourself.   You would be amazed at how many people don't understand what a copyright is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#49]
All-in-one scanner + printer at home = WIN!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We did.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top