Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 2:00:46 PM EDT
Waiting for Equalizer to start and VH1 ran a preview for some fucking inner city marching band shit.

When did VH1 become the cool, urban jams channel?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it saw a great target demographic when MTV cancelled Yo! MTV Raps and went reality/teener show format.  Then they added MTV2 with even more crap.

I haven't seen a music video in about a decade, I would presume one of the stations may carve out some time to play a couple.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it saw a great target demographic when MTV cancelled Yo! MTV Raps and went reality/teener show format.  Then they added MTV2 with even more crap.

I haven't seen a music video in about a decade, I would presume one of the stations may carve out some time to play a couple.
View Quote

YouTube killed the video star.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there was a good television channel that played music videos all day with a hint of random mixed work popular; I would leave the TV on the channel all day for some good background noise with visual stimulation when I choose to look at it.

I want my fucking MTV back.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Unlike MTV at least VH1 still airs programming related to music.

On the over-the-air stations I get something called "ZUUS"  It's nothing but modern country music videos playing nonstop..or at least every time I came across that channel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If there was a good television channel that played music videos all day with a hint of random mixed work popular; I would leave the TV on the channel all day for some good background noise with visual stimulation when I choose to look at it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not "music videos" in the conventional sense, but I have like 200 streaming music channels that I never listen to. Lots of people use that for background music.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Feces rolls down hill, MTV has gotten away from the Urban Youth demographic, which VH1 has felt obligated to pick up .
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
AFAIK VH1 has been dedicated to D-list celebrity reality TV shows for a long while now.

Oh well, only time I watch cable TV is while at friends houses.  Fucking waste of $50 a month...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The only music channel worth watching is VH1 Classic.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]

My cable company dropped all of Viacom's channels, which includes VH1

I also lost Comedy Central, so the replaced it with a channel called "Comedy.tv"

It fucking sucks. My cable company dropped Viacom stations because Viacom's ratings were down and wanted to charge more. Now I'm suck with a shitty comedy channel that's not worth watching. It's like watching public access television with people who have never done comedy before

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I also lost Comedy Central, so the replaced it with a channel called "Comedy.tv"

It fucking sucks. My cable company dropped Viacom stations because Viacom's ratings were down and wanted to charge more. Now I'm suck with a shitty comedy channel that's not worth watching. It's like watching public access television with people who have never done comedy before

View Quote

That has got to be a podunk cable company. They seriously dropped Comedy Central?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#12]
VH-1 at least played some videos when they ran their "Remember When?" type shows for the past decades.  Those were worth leaving the dial on VH-1 for a Sunday afternoons when there wasn't anything else worthwhile playing so there would be "enjoyable background noise" in place to a football game or race.  Now VH-1 is following MTV into the sewer and I don't expect much better from them.

These days I'd much rather set the dial to my cable system's CMC (Cable Music Channel) offerings which are like the Sirius channels with video to have something playing in the background while I read or surf Arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That has got to be a podunk cable company. They seriously dropped Comedy Central?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Comedy Central, CMT, VH1, MTV (meh), Nickoldeon and a bunch of other channels are all part of Viacom.

What sucks is that my cable company just added those channels to my line up...and now they are gone again.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suddenlink just did it here.  They are a pretty big company. Its all about money.  Lost CMT, Spike, Com Central, MTV, VH!, Nick, Nick at Nite BET and a bunch of others.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#15]
VH1 Classic or for live music they have Pallidium
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top