Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/13/2006 10:39:35 PM EDT
Ok a few years back I was a Deputy sheriff. I was very proud to wear the uniform and always made sure that the creases were in the right place, all the brass was polished, boots were polished. In other words at top notch appearance. We had local tailors that would make everything fit and look the best. We did many duties ,jail, road, prisioner transpost, court, whatever, we always looked the best. I continued that when I became a "medic" that was harder but I tried.
Ok tonight I had to travel from Southern In. to Indy. about 140 miles. On the way back the wife has to stop for the "P" break. I happens to be in a county that I worked in EMS after leaving the LEO job. A officer that I recalled came into the stop and rob I had stopped at and I struck up a short conversation with him, He was on way in for the third shift and getting a cup of  joe. It being a college town  and early for his shift he was scoping out the early action. Smart Cop.
I remarked that he was In Cammo, complete with dept. Id's.
I asked him about the uniform, and his reply was "this is now our issue"
I know that county has the highest Meth. Lab problem in the state, but silent BDU's (no noise when he moved) boots matched the BDU's perfect.
WTF when did theses guys become UBER MILATARY?
Hell the only time we could wear BDU's was when we had to crawl in the mud for training.
My rant for the night
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a better duty uniform then the standard LEO uniforms I have seen.  I'd give it a thumbs up.  I've seen some wear black jumpsuit type BDU's also.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Florida wearing polyester every day.  My chief refused to allow cotton uniforms.  I would think I died and went to heaven if I could wear something that was comfortable and safer.    

Good for them.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish we could wear BDUs as a regular duty unifrom.  Much more resistant to rips and tears than what we have on now.  Also they have a tendency not to melt to your body should they catch on fire. I believe the prices of the BDUs are cheaper than standard polyster uniforms aswell.

Also, the police forces in the US have always been built on a paramilitary model.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok I'll give you that over poly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
rant it maybe but it was a dumb one. there are many agencys that use the bdu's. where have you been the last decade???? sleeping??

I wear 511's is that to sloppy for ya??
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Its possible that the Police are all wanna be military posers who want to step on your neck with their jack boots.

Its also possible the county is saying about $150.00 per uniform by issueing BDU's instead of the tradition Wool poly blend uniform, which was based on WW1 era military uniforms.

It's also possible with the USMC issueing MARPAT, and the US Army going to a new pattern that the county was able to get brand new woodland BDUs for free from DRMO and is saving the taxpayers a small fortune.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
BDUs are good for field work. It's fine with me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps most LEOs are so obese the only thing they can wear are GP-Medium BDUs?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#9]
One local city around here has an all black BDU uniform, black cars, and every one of their officers have a high-and-tight hair cut.  And with the reputation they have had for the last 50-70yrs...

Its like a police force made up of the rejects from the USMC, because of their jack-booted, intolerant and quick-to-temper ways and couldn't be reformed...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I dunno..

As a member of the public, I LIKE seeing the old fashioned police uniforms. A shirt, tie,  trousers, polished shoes, and a smoky the bear hat present a profesional appearance to the public. BDU's do not present the proper image. Sure the uniforms cost more, but some things are worth the cost.

Police uniforms are part of a tradition of profesionalism in civilian public service. LEO's should be proud of what a good looking uniform stands for.

If I am going to be out in public for any length of time, uncle sam frowns on me wearing my BDU's. Lunch at BK is OK, but not a trip to a shopping mall after work...
This is for good reason. BDU's are a utility uniform in the .mil. They do not present the most profesional appearance to the public.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

With 60% of Americans obese, I'm sure the percentange of LEO's is much less.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:44:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I dunno..

As a member of the public, I LIKE seeing the old fashioned police uniforms. A shirt, tie,  trousers, polished shoes, and a smoky the bear hat present a profesional appearance to the public. BDU's do not present the proper image. Sure the uniforms cost more, but some things are worth the cost.

Police uniforms are part of a tradition of profesionalism in civilian public service. LEO's should be proud of what a good looking uniform stands for.

If I am going to be out in public for any length of time, uncle sam frowns on me wearing my BDU's. Lunch at BK is OK, but not a trip to a shopping mall after work...
This is for good reason. BDU's are a utility uniform in the .mil. They do not present the most profesional appearance to the public.

If I just stood around doing nothing I might agree with you.  Since my job often involves running after people and then fighting with them, I prefer to have a more durable uniform to wear.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:55:43 AM EDT
[#13]
BDU, 511, etc are more practical. Same reason you don't see nurses in starched white uniforms with those little caps on their heads anymore.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:02:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm just waiting until they let us were BDU's on the motorcycles, instead of those spandex.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:11:53 AM EDT
[#15]
How the uniform looks is as much a function of the man wearing it.  Black or navy blue BDU trousers with an open collar shirt can look sharp if the man wearing it makes the effort.  One of our local PD's issues a gray shirt with black BDU trousers, worn bloused into boots.  The guys make an effort to look sharp and they do.  

the old style wool uniforms are fine for courtroom duty, and not the hot ticket for chasing down perps.  Warm weather uniforms should be cotton, even if it wrinkles.  Woodie cam belongs in the woods, not on the street.  OD trousers/tan shirt/open collar work for me too.  If I was the Police Commission I'd have some nice looking but PRACTICAL uniforms.

and a couple of Hemi Chargers for pursuit on the four lane....

Ops
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:22:57 AM EDT
[#16]
cops are mix'd in my 3 town AO.    its navy bdu bottoms, grey golf style shirts with police on them, OR black bdu's with  the same top.  sherrfis inthe AO have the old style uniforms or  OD bottoms, black  golf shirts or complete OD bdu's normally its the K9' units.   the bicycle cops where uniforms that look nothing like  a  uniform, black bdustyle shorts, black socks,shoes,black helmet and a white shirt polic eon the back, tight arms, with black striping going fromthe chest/shoulders down the sides.

Im all for cops being commfy while on the JOb. i hate wearing a uniform  thats not fitted right or just not practical for work(imnot leo) I do however agree that   like ops,  the bdu can be used  and still look sharp. one thing i do not like to see is the full blown, bdu clad LEO.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:56:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dunno..

If I just stood around doing nothing I might agree with you.  Since my job often involves running after people and then fighting with them, I prefer to have a more durable uniform to wear.

Ow!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:57:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I asked him about the uniform, and his reply was "this is now our issue"
I know that county has the highest Meth. Lab problem in the state, but silent BDU's (no noise when he moved) boots matched the BDU's perfect.
WTF when did theses guys become UBER MILATARY?
Hell the only time we could wear BDU's was when we had to crawl in the mud for training.
My rant for the night

Where you been, Bro? The militarization of America's police agencies didn't start last week! Didn't it seem a little wierd to you to be crawling around in that mud with a weapon, you know, like a soldier does?

If your department was worried about providing it's officers with rugged training wear, a $10 set of iron clad dollar store jeans, or a set of bib-overalls would have been cheaper than BDU's.

I suppose it's a natural progession on the path to self destruction as a nation. Everybody's looking to make a name for themselves, toys have to be bought to justify budgets etc. It needs to stop though as all it does it further separates those who control the populace from them.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:01:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't even get me started on all the felonies they are allowed to commit, with the chief's blessing...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:12:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dunno..

You can prefer all you want

I would prefer to be a millionaire...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:15:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't have a dog in this hunt but what about guys wearing shorts in the summer? Just your common citizen here but I think it makes most of the guys look like little boys playing dress up. Might be cool and all but any kind of scuffle has got to be hard on the knees.

Guys on bike patrol I can understand but for the common street officer, just looks funny to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rose colored glasses.......
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:25:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh wait.  I am fat!!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Wearing woodland camo pants in any place other than the woods is kinda pathetic. You can get "BDUs" in navy, OD green, gray, and khaki and they all look very sharp without screaming "I'm a fucking loser who wants to play Sgt. Rock."

Of course, if we are talking the military, then all bets are off.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:27:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Very practical however does encourage a negative public image.

I sometimes wonder encouraging the us vs them image is wise and definately know most law abiding citizens don't care for the image of being in a war zone.  

Our founding fathers wisely separated the military from police for a reason.  

Tj

Now wearing a comfortable and functional uniform as opposed to an uncomfortable and impractical one is creating a negative public image?  Perhaps the negativity seen in the image is the result of looking through a distorted lens.

Some of you guys seem to be bothered by the most trivial things when it comes to LEOs.  It's just clothing after all...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Wearing woodland camo pants in any place other than the woods is kinda pathetic.

'Zat go for the camo-underoos Ms. Goblin got ya for Valentines day?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:38:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Some of you guys seem to be bothered by the most trivial things when it comes to LEOs.  It's just clothing after all...

Blacks and latinos say that all the time when it comes to gang colors, too.

They're just as wrong as you are.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wearing woodland camo pants in any place other than the woods is kinda pathetic.

No, because there isn't much camo on a thong.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:45:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blacks and latinos say that all the time when it comes to gang colors, too.

They're just as wrong as you are.

So....it's not just clothing?  I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to imply.  What exactly am I wrong about?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:50:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, because there isn't much camo on a thong.

(visions of Paracord wedged up someone's butt crack)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:55:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I dunno..

I agree with this view.  The militarization of law enforcement has gone a bit too far in my opinion.  A bit too much SWAT and not enough peace officer.  The police...well a lot of the police I see on a daily basis now look as hard core as your average special operations troop in the military.  Shaved head, black boots, BDU's and an AR-15.  They look like they want to kill you as opposed to help you.  It is just an image thing, but heading in the wrong direction to my way of thinking.  I also doubt this trend will change anytime soon.  Just a sign of the times I guess.

dvo
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#34]
We could only wear the woodland pattern BDU's if we were literally out in the field or set up as surveillance on a location in the woods. It was a no go for regular patrol duties.

Black/dark blue BDU's could be worn on duty. But they were always pressed and neat. Boots polished etc.

The old polyester uniforms are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. They also melt when exposed to heat. They do not last long.

Many Judges will not allow an officer to wear his uniform to court anymore.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
So....it's not just clothing?  I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to imply.  What exactly am I wrong about?

No, it's not    "just clothing." If it was "just clothing," all clothing would look alike.

Like I said, try proving that gang colors are "just clothing."

Look, I wear "BDUs" to work. Not woodland or any other type of camo, mind you. Just the navy, OD, and khaki ones. Why? For the exact same reasons others have mentioned in this thread (cotton, breathes better, more comfortable, lots of pockets, etc). Instead of coming across as some yahoo wannabee, I can get all the benefits of good pants while still looking like I'm wearing Dickies or Dockers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to try and pass a law against wearing cammies in public by civilians, whether they be police officers or regular Joes. If they want to look like posers, that's their choice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:57:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
(visions of Paracord wedged up someone's butt crack)

Hey, you asked, bro.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
We could only wear the woodland pattern BDU's if we were literally out in the field or set up as surveillance on a location in the woods. It was a no go for regular patrol duties.

Black/dark blue BDU's could be worn on duty. But they were always pressed and neat. Boots polished etc.

The old polyester uniforms are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. They also melt when exposed to heat. They do not last long.

Good post. I agree 99%.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very practical however does encourage a negative public image.

I sometimes wonder encouraging the us vs them image is wise and definately know most law abiding citizens don't care for the image of being in a war zone.  

Our founding fathers wisely separated the military from police for a reason.  

Tj

Now wearing a comfortable and functional uniform as opposed to an uncomfortable and impractical one is creating a negative public image?  Perhaps the negativity seen in the image is the result of looking through a distorted lens.

LOL, I'm afraid its not just LEOs bud but anyone wearing camo bdus isn't going to project a "Hi, I'm a friendly nice guy that you can trust me image."

Like it or not, the job of the military is to kill the enemy and that is the image the battle dress they wear projects.  

The actual type of clothing is not as important in the regards to image as how similar it is to battle dress.  For example, a blue BDU outfit projects a totally different image than camo.  Its not like our LEOs spend 80% of their time in the woods.  Blue wears and functions the same and btw is readily available and not a special order.  Why then the camo if not to project an image?  I don't think and personaly hope our LEOs are not soldier wannabes.  If they aren't the image projection is an intent.

Like it or not as they put fear into the criminal by what they wear it has the same effect on the public.  This ultimately isolates the LEO even more from those they are charged to protect and btw employs them.  This natural distrust makes their job more difficult and more opportunities for less than favorable confrontations.  

Its the image I disagree with as being a good idea not the clothing.  Simply put I disagree with any concept that further distances our LEOs from the public.  It isn't a far cry from distancing our LEOs along with the militarization to why do we need them and let's just use the military.  This is the slippery slope we have been going since the advent of the car radio.  

As a sidebar, when SHTF its kind of nice to be able to tell the good guys from the bad guys.  Police uniforms have been traditionaly designed so one can do that easily.  A camo pseudo military appearance is not just favored by LEOs but every BillyBobJimJack military wannabe in the country.  If a badge is the only thing that distinquishes the good guy from the badguy then why screw around and let our LEOs wear whatever they want?  No a distinctive LEO uniform serves a very important role in society and to go away from it has many downfalls on many levels.

Tj

Well stated.  I had to go back and re-read the original post.  Woodland BDUs on a uniformed patrol cop does project a militaristic and unfriendly image.  I mistakenly thought the uproar was over the blue BDU-style uniform pants.  My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Now if anyone has a propblem with the blue BDU pants for LEO uniform wear, I'll continue to defend that.  I'm stuck wearing the uncomfortable polyester uniform pants and would love to make the switch.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I think the traditional uniforms are a bit restrictive but look great, but the BDU's are functional but for the most part look like crap... especially when coupled with a duty belt and worn by folks who just wash and wear the black or blue BDU's.

A perfect compromise is something like what some agencies near me have adopted:

Not as baggy as BDU's, the shirt tucks in for a sharp appearance and better fit and function when worn with a duty belt, but still as durable and comfortable as BDU's. And when worn with patches, badge and metal  name tag looks more traditional and quite frankly very sharp.

Cost? About 15-20% more than comperable quality BDU's, still much less than traditional uniforms. Worth the extra bit for the professional appearance and enhanced utility thay provide. Avaialable in black, blue and brown.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Now if anyone has a propblem with the blue BDU pants for LEO uniform wear, I'll continue to defend that.  

Couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
As casual wear, I wear BDUs for their practicality, comfort, durability, and cost.  I do only wear solid green or mainly Kahki.  

I personaly think LEOs wearing blue BDUs look sharp and still project a positive image still distinctly LEO.  Black is becoming more acceptable but has a taint of negativity about it besides black can be quite warm in summer and harder to look clean.

Good post, TJ.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I think the traditional uniforms are a bit restrictive but look great, but the BDU's are functional but for the most part look like crap... especially when coupled with a duty belt and worn by folks who just wash and wear the black or blue BDU's.

A perfect compromise is something like what some agencies near me have adopted:
images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001VRXVC.01-A33W5H2BXHFT6N._AA200_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/dtdistributors_1885_6939560]us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/dtdistributors_1885_6939560

Not as baggy as BDU's, the shirt tucks in for a sharp appearance and better fit and function when worn with a duty belt, but still as durable and comfortable as BDU's. And when worn with patches, badge and metal  name tag looks more traditional and quite frankly very sharp.

Cost? About 15-20% more than comperable quality BDU's, still much less than traditional uniforms. Worth the extra bit for the professional appearance and enhanced utility thay provide. Avaialable in black, blue and brown.

We used the tuck in BDU shirt similar to the pic.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I dunno..

Amen.  Though I agree with the LEO guys that they need more comfortable useful clothing, I think BDUs are the wrong way to go.  For instance, all of my friends on the Highway Patrol or in Local PDs look very proffessional, clean cut, and approachable by a normal law abiding citizen....however the Maricopa Coutny Sherriff's Dept wears brown BDUs and Ball Caps.  To the man, every single one of them dressed like this looks like a country bumpkin and a slob.  EXTREMELY unprofessional looking.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

i think that BDU's are probably better wear for patrol officers, but go with black or navy. the woodland is a little rediculous if your running around on the blacktop chasing down a crook, and it *does* go to further the militarization of our police forces at least image-wise. while that may seem insignificant (and it is), when you pile a mountain of "trivial things" into one area, it's still a mountain. it's not just this one little detail. it's LOTS of details that make the police look like a citizen suppression unit instead of public servents.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#48]
I think the old style uniforms need to be updated a bit.  I wear the stereotypical uniform described in the first post.  But, I think going full BDU is abit too much.  I think the 511 pants are about ideal, with a similar polo shirt to match.  All the items kept in the old style shirt pockets can be kept in the new style pants (paper pad, pens, etc.).  

I stongly believe that LEO should NOT blouse their duty pants.  it makes us/them look waaaay too much like military, and we're not.  We still need to look good and "approachable" by the average Joe.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I dunno..

We have a winner!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top