Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2005 1:57:53 AM EDT
People seem to bitch about how much this and that cost, if you don't like the price don't buy it.

I mean if you don't want a $160 cable bill don't get so much, if you don't want a $300 power bill stop using so much power, if you don't want a $3000 mortgage get a cheaper house or save up and pay cash, if you don't want a $50k Truck don't buy it. If you don't want a $3k rifle don't buy it.

But at the same time don't bitch about some one elses spending habits unless its your money.

Okay, done with that rant.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:59:27 AM EDT
[#1]
So this Sig I want has a $1,600 price tag on it....
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:00:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Well if you got the cash get it man, you only live this life once.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if you got the cash get it man, you only live this life once.

But it's soooooo expensive!

That satanic credit card company is going to love me, then I'm going to come here and bitch about how evil they are for their high rate on my unnecessary purchases. Sheesh. Savages.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:06:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes theres a very real right to bitch.
For example, houses. My house is right around 150k. Its nothing real special. Normal standard everyday 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage with a pretty good sized lot. Take that same house and move it out to Cali or Reston or somewhere and POW. Its worth 400k or more.

Now, if I lived out there I'd be bitching for sure. Some places prices are grossly overinflated for stuff.

But then again, thats why I dont live there.

So lets take gas prices. People also have a right to bitch there. Not only are the gas prices out of our direct control, but weening ourselves from gas is nearly impossible too. Lets say i dont like energy prices. What can I do? Hybrids arent practical for families, and my city isnt built for foot traffic. We dont HAVE light rail. If i want to go somewhere, I drive. That simple. No light rail, no bus stop where I liver, I'm simply screwed.

Yes, it gets old hearing people bitch, but sometimes they certainly have a right to bitch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:08:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Normal standard everyday 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage with a pretty good sized lot. Take that same house and move it out to Cali or Reston or somewhere and POW. Its worth 400k or more.

$650,000 in the Bay Area, CA. Minimum.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:13:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Normal standard everyday 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage with a pretty good sized lot. Take that same house and move it out to Cali or Reston or somewhere and POW. Its worth 400k or more.

$650,000 in the Bay Area, CA. Minimum.

For those so inclined, I found a pic of my subdivision while construction was still going on. I wont post it, its pretty big.

Click

You cant see my house however. If you look on the far left you'll see the row of houses. Then across the street you see whats the inside portion between the 2 streets on the left and right. Now, on the left side of this inside area you see a blue house. Mine is right beside that one (Behind in the pic). Actually, I guess you can kinda see my roof and my deck poking out from behind the ranch house.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
People seem to bitch about how much this and that cost, if you don't like the price don't buy it.

I mean if you don't want a $160 cable bill don't get so much, if you don't want a $300 power bill stop using so much power, if you don't want a $3000 mortgage get a cheaper house or save up and pay cash, if you don't want a $50k Truck don't buy it. If you don't want a $3k rifle don't buy it.

But at the same time don't bitch about some one elses spending habits unless its your money.

Well living in AZ, high power bills come with the territory. What I find funny out here in the desert is people that have a huge power bill during the summer. Often they turn the AC down to 72-75 so they can sleep under the covers in PJ's. I sturn it up to 82, sleep directly under the fan in boxers or running shorts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:23:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
For example, houses. My house is right around 150k. Its nothing real special. Normal standard everyday 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage with a pretty good sized lot. Take that same house and move it out to Cali or Reston or somewhere and POW. Its worth 400k or more.

Now, if I lived out there I'd be bitching for sure. Some places prices are grossly overinflated for stuff.

So lets take gas prices. People also have a right to bitch there. Not only are the gas prices out of our direct control, but weening ourselves from gas is nearly impossible too. Lets say i dont like energy prices. What can I do? Hybrids arent practical for families, and my city isnt built for foot traffic. We dont HAVE light rail. If i want to go somewhere, I drive. That simple. No light rail, no bus stop where I liver, I'm simply screwed.

Yes, it gets old hearing people bitch, but sometimes they certainly have a right to bitch.

VW Jetta TDI  station wagon gets about 45 mpg. Depending on how big your family is it would be fine, with enough room in the back to move decent size stuff around. Who cares if it is a station wagon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
For those so inclined, I found a pic of my subdivision while construction was still going on. I wont post it, its pretty big.

Click

You cant see my house however. If you look on the far left you'll see the row of houses. Then across the street you see whats the inside portion between the 2 streets on the left and right. Now, on the left side of this inside area you see a blue house. Mine is right beside that one (Behind in the pic). Actually, I guess you can kinda see my roof and my deck poking out from behind the ranch house.

I clicked on the link and thought WHERE THE HECK ARE THE HILLS!?!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:30:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well living in AZ, high power bills come with the territory. What I find funny out here in the desert is people that have a huge power bill during the summer. Often they turn the AC down to 72-75 so they can sleep under the covers in PJ's. I sturn it up to 82, sleep directly under the fan in boxers or running shorts.

When it gets 110 in june and july my ac goes to 68 sometimes

I can recall a few years ago when we hit 124+
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey, life is like a shit sandwich!  The more bread you have, the less shit you gotta eat!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:34:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

VW Jetta TDI  station wagon gets about 45 mpg. Depending on how big your family is it would be fine, with enough room in the back to move decent size stuff around. Who cares if it is a station wagon.

Try 38. But I drive it like I stole it.
<- 05 Jetta TDI (Non station wagon)

I dont believe the wagon is much bigger then the sedan in terms of seating space. in the front row and back (middle) row seats. With 3 kids, its cramped. Doable for long hauls, but the kids arent all that comfy.
But, compare the fuel savings vs taking the Expedition and, well, the kids just need to learn to be uncomfy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Click

I clicked on the link and thought WHERE THE HECK ARE THE HILLS!?!

I've conquered the only hill in Kansas man. And that picture is my proof.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Damn in Oakland co. Michigan my house is 150, and I only get 2 bed, 2 bath 1000 sq ft. No garage, and a small lot with a shed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn in Oakland co. Michigan my house is 150, and I only get 2 bed, 2 bath 1000 sq ft. No garage, and a small lot with a shed.

And that my friend is why I live in Kansas.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:04:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Is it OK to bitch about everyone bitching about high price crap! Your all starting to sound like old men... Sorry I couldn't resist and I can't think of anything new to bitch about!

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:06:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is it OK to bitch about everyone bitching about high price crap! Your all starting to sound like old men... Sorry I couldn't resist and I can't think of anything new to bitch about!

I suppose we could always start bitching about the uppity noobs.........

EDIT: How the hell does someone join in 2002 and only have 184 posts?!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I've lived since '92 in a trailer on a 4/10 acre lot on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. It wasn't even worth moving, so two years ago I demolished the trailer and started building a house in it's place. I'm still working on it. Anyway, before I tore down the trailer, it and the lot were appraised at $530,000.

Kali hasn't cornered the market on pricey real estate.

I can hardly wait to see my new tax assessment when the house is done...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yea,yeaaaaaaaaaaaa you tell'em oly!

That's whay I'm all about Century & like Bersa when it comes to my guns!~
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:45:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've lived since '92 in a trailer on a 4/10 acre lot on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. It wasn't even worth moving, so two years ago I demolished the trailer and started building a house in it's place. I'm still working on it. Anyway, before I tore down the trailer, it and the lot were appraised at $530,000.

Kali hasn't cornered the market on pricey real estate.

I can hardly wait to see my new tax assessment when the house is done...

I can't understand NH at all.  How can property possible be so expensive there?  I mean you guys have fast food joints, do the people working there make that much more for the cost of living?  How could you even have normal low paying jobs in a place like that?

I was considering moving to NH from upstate NY for about 1 day until I started looking at housing prices.  $150K and you get a trailer, 1976 vintage in a park that gets to tell you wether or not you can own a pet in your own home.  Sweet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:49:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Please spend that money on something other than a sig........
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll bitch about gas prices until they're back down to at least $1.50. There is absolutely no excuse for $2.50 a gallon. NONE. Drive less? Whatever dude. I don't know what society you live in but you pretty much need a car to do anything in today's society.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I have replaced EVERY Appliance in my house with energy efficient replacements. Use hasn't gone up, and we  dont heat our house wastefully in the winter ( no AC for summer, so cant comment there). Yet the monthly utility bill went up almost a third this last month.House prices are insane in my area because of the influx of downstaters who think a $400,000 house is a bargain compared to the $1,000,000 houses they left on Long Island...so up goes the prices.
I don't buy those expensive guns; can't  afford them myself.
I think some complaining is warranted.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:40:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

For once, I agree with you.

A co-worker of mine is in his mid fifties, kids gone, building this huge new home. ( I know what he earns)  I think he's nuts, but it's his life. We all have our pet things to spend our $$ on.  Who wants to die a rich man anyways?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If they did not buy but complained about the price, that should be okay with your logic, right? You are only complaining about folks who bitch and buy. Like those that complain about gas being $2.95 per gallon but pay it anyone. People.... well people probably like you.

You expect us to believe that you never complained about any price to your friends? You know, we all did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday. ARFCOM was started back in the nineties. How old are you? Mommy and Daddy been doing your buying?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#26]
goes for people who bitch about the price of gasoline.  WALK! if you don't like it!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
goes for people who bitch about the price of gasoline.  WALK! if you don't like it!

The only time I bitch about the price of gasoline is when there is a $.40 a gallon difference from the east side of town to the west side of town
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:56:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I hear ya, bro...I used to live in Northern VA.  You can't even buy a condo for $150K in Northern VA nowadays...$300K will get you a 40-50 year old 1600 sq ft townhouse with no garage in a bad neighborHOOD...if you want a decent house with a garage in a nice neighborhood, you're looking at $500K-$700K easy...it's just fucking insane...

...that's why we moved to Florida...got a brand new 2400 sq ft 4/2.5/2 right on a big lake in a great neighborhood only 15 minutes from downtown Tampa for about $200K...that was a year ago...house is worth $250-270K now...I love this place!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Money is the sniz of life and beats the piss out of whatever is second best.    
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I can't understand NH at all.  How can property possible be so expensive there?  I mean you guys have fast food joints, do the people working there make that much more for the cost of living?  How could you even have normal low paying jobs in a place like that?

I was considering moving to NH from upstate NY for about 1 day until I started looking at housing prices.  $150K and you get a trailer, 1976 vintage in a park that gets to tell you wether or not you can own a pet in your own home.  Sweet.

The answer to the mystery is: Massachusettes. The Massholes make their money in Boston, and then move up here to escape the taxes. The houses around my lake are literally 90% owned by out-of-staters.

The real problems begin when the Massholes move up here to escape Ted Kennedy's taxes, but then expect the same socialist services and vote for Kerry et. al. to get them.

The "real" NH/MA border keeps moving north. Southern NH is at this point just another province of MA.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Money represents Time and effort.  For instance it might take one person 10 days to earn $1000.  Another it might take a month and it only takes Bill Gates 4.8 minutes.  What most people don't realize is how much of their time and effort goes to the government.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Doesn't it tick you off when people bitch about the price of gas and they drive a 1 ton crew cab? A guy at work bought ane a couple of years back because gas was cheap and he got 0% APR on it. When I asked him why, he said he needed it so his daighter would be safe when he dropped her off at day care.
Daycare is 5 miles away work is 30+ each way, and his wife drives an SUV. I guess he was suprised that gas prices went up again like they do all the friggin time.
Saw an ad the other day where they claimed that if everyone in the US drove something that got 50 MPG we would not need to import gas, but how are you going to impress the neighbors with a hybrid? Better get the H2.
Now I know 50 MPG is pretty high but at 25 MPG we could cut imports in half and that's not too bad
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, I hear you on some things.  Personally, my $300 a month gas bill allows me to freeze my ass off in the winter, with the thermostat set at 58 18 hours a day.  

I wouldnt' be complaining if gas prices hadn't tripled in the last 5 years.  I was quite happy paying $150 a month to be comfortable.  

As for the cable, well, I plan on dropping mine back to basic/internet next week, after the season finale of 24 lol.  

Remember when *basic* cable got you ESPN, CNN, and all the other stuff we consider "cable"?  Well, now they've got all these different tiers, and to get the stuff that used to come with the basic $12 package, it's now $42 to get it all.  THAT'S what people are really bitching about, I think.  You just don't get what you used to, pretty much accross the board.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I don't know where yo ulive but even in the society of convenience I'm not walking 2+ miles while pushing a stroller for a gallon of milk, or better yet for a 2-week supply of groceries. Maybe you can hump 12 bags of groceries a few miles rather than drive to save a few buck on gas... if you can more power to you.

And I'm sure your job is right up the street from you, but most people who live in the MD VA DC area live at least a 20-30 minute drive from the place of work. And you can't walk or ride a bike on the freeways so that really cuts back on the routes you an take to get there...

Think McFly... think. Bitching about gas prices is legit. I bitch because it's partly the tree huggers fault for getting bills passed that prohibit the building of more oil refineries. I bitch because the politicians and oil companies refuse to use the oil that's sitting under US land but would rather import from the midle east and sinka few ships of it here and there getting to the US. I bithc because it's completely beyond my control to do anything about it... except to bitch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'll bitch about gas prices until they're back down to at least $1.50. There is absolutely no excuse for $2.50 a gallon. NONE. Drive less? Whatever dude. I don't know what society you live in but you pretty much need a car to do anything in today's society.

There is when you realize there isnt enough to go around.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is when you realize there isnt enough to go around.

Isn't enough what? Money or gas? There's plenty of oil to be made into gas but making it into gas is where the bottleneck is found and is why we're now buying it refined from overseas rather than bringing it over here by the barrels and refining it in our counrty.

IMHO Bush shoudl override whatever BS bills are preventing more refindering from being made in the name of energy crisis. F*ck the tree huggers and all the protesting they'd no doubt be doing. I don't care if they build them in a national frickin park... if it brings the price back down to $1.00 a gallon at the pumps I'll visit The Sunnoco Grand Canyon or the Exxon-Yellowstone park and take apicture of the family right in front of all the pipes and stacks...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Some people bitch about what they spent on a house or car just to show off.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But the 550 series is sooooo cooooooool!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it aint, nothing but hype...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh hush. My favorite in Counterstrike, Good enough reason to want to buy something I can't have.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I've never spent $3k on a rifle, honest!  
(In case wife sees post)

But I love my AUG.  

You don't have a right to bitch about gas if you bought a big honking 15 mpg truck or SUV in the past few years without a real need for it.  It was kinda obvious gas prices aren't gonna fall.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh hush. My favorite in Counterstrike, Good enough reason to want to buy something I can't have.

You would be better off with a 38 and a .22  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell I bitch about everything! Money, Nookie, Booze, Guns, you name it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top