Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2009 6:08:30 PM EDT
Well I bought my first 1911 a Kimber Desert Warrior when they came out a few years ago.
I put about 50 rounds through when I got it and then it sat in the safe until last week. I bought a Crossbreed holster and started carrying around the house to break in the holster..

Well I just got back from the range and I absolutly  love this fucking thing!!!
I think this gun just replaced BOTH of my Glocks that I have carried for the last 8 years!!!

Now I just need to buy some more magazines and I am good to go!!

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
What ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Well I bought my first 1911 a Kimber Desert Warrior when they came out a few years ago.

I put about 50 rounds through when I got it and then it sat in the safe until last week. I bought a Crossbreed holster and started carrying around the house to break in the holster..

I think this gun just replaced BOTH of my Glocks that I have carried for the last 8 years!!!

Yeah, you glock people just don't realize until you shoot a well-built 1911.

They are wonderful aren't they.
Disclaimer: For all of my fellow 1911 enthusiasts, I make no claim one way or another as to the quality of the pistol used to convert OP from a possibly deadly situation, AKA hand grenade, to pure bliss, AKA 1911.
ETA: you carried 2, TWO, Hand grenades? That's just asking for it.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you glock people just don't realize until you shoot a well-built 1911.  They are wonderful aren't they.

Disclaimer: For all of my fellow 1911 enthusiasts, I make no claim one way or another as to the quality of the pistol used to convert OP from a possibly deadly situation, AKA hand grenade, to pure bliss, AKA 1911.

a wilson combat it's not ... but whats wrong with a kimber ?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Give me a fucking break.  I grew up with 1911s.  I shot my first one, my Fathers WWII Colt, at age 8, that was in 1965.  I've owned quite a few since then, worked on them and competed with them.  Now I only own one, that same Colt my Dad carried as a radioman during WWII.  I've shot 1911s that cost $50 and ones that cost $3000 and I'd still pick an out of the box Glock over any 1911 as a carry gun any day of the week.

But yes, a well made 1911 is a wonderful gun.  But let's give a Glock it's due.  For it what it was built for, and what it costs, and how well they do that job, straight out of the box, they're fucking hard to beat.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, you glock people just don't realize until you shoot a well-built 1911.   They are wonderful aren't they.

Give me a fucking break. I grew up with 1911s. I shot my first one, my Fathers WWII Colt, at age 8, that was in 1965. I've owned quite a few since then, worked on them and competed with them. Now I only own one, that same Colt my Dad carried as a radioman during WWII. I've shot 1911s that cost $50 and ones that cost $3000 and I'd still pick an out of the box Glock over any 1911 as a carry gun any day of the week.

But yes, a well made 1911 is a wonderful gun. But let's give a Glock it's due. For it what it was built for, and what it costs, and how well they do that job, straight out of the box, they're fucking hard to beat.

==============

Until it blows up..........
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you glock people just don't realize until you shoot a well-built 1911.  They are wonderful aren't they.

Looks to me like Kimber's attempt at a Glock.

ETA: BTW, copying is the sincerest form of flattery.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I bought a Crossbreed holster and started carrying around the house to break in the holster..

Did it rust yet?

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks to me like Kimber's attempt at a Glock.

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww96/joebiden4sale/kpd_kpd.jpg

That looks like a Sigma skullfucked a M&P.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd love your 1911 too.

Congrats on a fine purchase.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd love your 1911 too.

Congrats on a fine purchase.

Whoops!
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell me how it feeds 200gr. Gold Dots. My 1911 will not feed them worth a shit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The 1911 is sort of the model T of the handgun world.  Come to think of it, it is one of the few designs still in production from the model T era.

It is my choice.  Now Glock is fine.  For general issue, I understand why pds go with Glock.  

Even Jeff Cooper admitted that much, years ago.

There is a small company in Connecticutt making high quality 1911 type pistols at a good price.  Their name is Colt, and you should check them out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Kimber 1911 FTW

"9mm might expand, but a 45 will never shrink."

Think about it
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish I could afford a 1911

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#15]
The OP is good to go with his 1911. Who gives a fuck what the rest of y'all tote. Its his thread.
Its always this OR that. Howabout this AND that. Theres room for the 1911 and the drastic plastic in the armory.
How many here are proficient with a variety of weapons? You should be, life has a way of throwing a curve.I prefer the Colt Lightweight Commander for CCW but I wouldn't turn down a quality firearm from most of the major manufacturers. Hell, I've owned an example or two of most over the last thirty+ years.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Think about it

2.25mm difference. Think about it.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The OP is good to go with his 1911. Who gives a fuck what the rest of y'all tote. Its his thread.
Its always this OR that. Howabout this AND that. Theres room for the 1911 and the drastic plastic in the armory.
How many here are proficient with a variety of weapons? You should be, life has a way of throwing a curve.I prefer the Colt Lightweight Commander for CCW but I wouldn't turn down a quality firearm from most of the major manufacturers. Hell, I've owned an example or two of most over the last thirty+ years.

i could'nt agree with you more ... i do have both, and enjoy everything from a flintlock to an EBR. like i said i cary a kimber ultra. which is kind of funny, my first CW was a springfield 1911 compact, then i switched to a glock 23, after years of that i went back to the 1911 platform, it's what i feel the most comfortable with.

EDIT - ya know after a while, all the fanboy gloating / "mine is better then yours" / tier 1 or go home crap gets old ... (thick skinned and flame suit on )

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats on a fine 1911. Glad you like it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]

I was shooting 1911s WAY before I began shooting Glocks, matter of fact I shot one of the first batch of Glock pistols that ever came into the country courtesy of Major George C, Nonte., wasn't impressed with them then because I was shooting 1911s.
It took me another fifteen years to start shooting Glocks but I never, in all that time. stopped shooting 1911s!

A good design will always remain a good design and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Since manufacturers have gone out of their way to copy the 1911 AND the Glock, I would have to say BOTH are very, very good designs.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats, welcome to the dark side. I love my Kimber Custom II. I can even load up empty casings in the mag and it will feed them.

Erick Z
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Real men use a 1911
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#23]
+1...........I like my Custom II as well..............accurate and feeds most anything I shoot in it............now it needs a backup

Quoted:
Congrats, welcome to the dark side. I love my Kimber Custom II. I can even load up empty casings in the mag and it will feed them.

Erick Z

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a fucking break.

*snip*

But yes, a well made 1911 is a wonderful gun.  But let's give a Glock it's due.  For it what it was built for, and what it costs, and how well they do that job, straight out of the box, they're fucking hard to beat.

What he said!
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:43:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a fucking break.  I grew up with 1911s.  I shot my first one, my Fathers WWII Colt, at age 8, that was in 1965.  I've owned quite a few since then, worked on them and competed with them.  Now I only own one, that same Colt my Dad carried as a radioman during WWII.  I've shot 1911s that cost $50 and ones that cost $3000 and I'd still pick an out of the box Glock over any 1911 as a carry gun any day of the week.

I bet you mostly did that

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Nevermind.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

Just a few weeks ago, I went shooting with a friend of mine who is one of the irrational Glockies. We went through a pretty broad variety of drills and exercises in the course of the afternoon and we each went through about 200 rounds. My Kimber did not, and to date (8 years and about 7500 rounds), has not had one single malfunction. My friends Glock 19 had something on the order of ten malfunctions. Afterward, we cleaned and inspected it and found no problems with it. He bought all new magazines and went shooting with it again with the same result. I fired it myself to eliminate the possibility that he was limp wristing it and the issues  continued. All of this was using ball ammo by the way. He gave my Kimber a try, fell in love with it, and promptly went a bought one. He is currently looking for a sucker to unload the Austrian toy on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a wilson combat it's not ... but whats wrong with a kimber ?

Nothing wrong with a Kimber, they make some pretty good pistols, my disclaimer was in case a "snob" came along and started in.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have nothing against Glocks, I just started shooting 1911s when I was 8YO, so I have a definite bias.

ETA I have shot some 1911s that had various malfunctions, but NONE of them BLEW UP IN MY HAND.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

Just a few weeks ago, I went shooting with a friend of mine who is one of the irrational Glockies. We went through a pretty broad variety of drills and exercises in the course of the afternoon and we each went through about 200 rounds. My Kimber did not, and to date (8 years and about 7500 rounds), has not had one single malfunction. My friends Glock 19 had something on the order of ten malfunctions. Afterward, we cleaned and inspected it and found no problems with it. He bought all new magazines and went shooting with it again with the same result. I fired it myself to eliminate the possibility that he was limp wristing it and the issues  continued. All of this was using ball ammo by the way. He gave my Kimber a try, fell in love with it, and promptly went a bought one. He is currently looking for a sucker to unload the Austrian toy on.

IM me with a price.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA I have shot some 1911s that had various malfunctions but none of them BLEW UP IN MY HAND

Neither did a Glock unless it was .40 caliber and you shot lots of reloaded lead bullets against the manufacturers express warnings not to do so.

I blew up a 10mm EAA Witness with jacketed bullets and AA#5 powder. sheet happens.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#32]
No it didnt rust yet..

I was shooting cheap ball practice ammo.. Going to get some 230gr gold dot this week..
We will see what happens..
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Going to get some 230gr gold dot this week..

My personal preference as well. 7+1 rounds of 230gr GDHP on my hip right now, in fact (mag in the gun for carry is a flush-fit Colt; reload is a 8-round Tripp).
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I love my 1911.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love 1911's.  But low capacity, manual safety, and heavy weight arent something I look for in a carry gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If that gun just replaced two Glocks, you better get "a lot" of magazines.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Only carried 1 Glock at a time..  
I have a 19 and a 27 that I carry..  
Been carrying the 27 everyday for the last 8 months anyway. So capacity is the same..
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that gun just replaced two Glocks, you better get "a lot" of magazines.

Why?

My 1911's hold 8+1 and I've never needed more than that for anything I've done.
Yes, I do have spare mag pouches and magazines - just like everyone else (probably even yourself)....

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Think about it

2.25mm difference. Think about it.

61% greater cross-sectional area.  You know the rest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top