Or some shit like that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really?
you must be single. Its how you send flowers 
View Quote

I've been with my wife 18 years and didn't know what it meant, nor have I ever sent flowers.  If you give them the good dick, flowers never cross their mind.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is FTD?
View Quote

Curious how old you are? Under 35?

Not because "oh you dumb kids!!" just wondering if this is one of those things younger people less likely to know. I'm surprised FTD still around and popular.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#7]
All the online places do that too.  "19.99 for roses and chocolates, 39.99 for shipping handling".  

Tried Proflowers, discovered that they just ship the flowers in an uninsulated box via UPS, which works very poorly when the area you delivering to has single digit temps this time of year.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, don't fall for that "$19.99 for a dozen roses!" ad. They add about $17.50 for basic shipping and handling (if I recall correctly) and another $8 or some such for the vase to hold them.

Last time I did that I think it ran me about $45 for those 19 dollar roses.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Highway robbery.  And 1-800 flowers seems to just broker with participating local florists so what you actually get may or may not resemble the photo on the website.

I've had decent luck looking up a local shop and working with them directly, but it isn't always an option in some locations.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#10]
"Service Charge" It's the rage. Luckily, we're doing V day on Saturday so I'm sure I'll save big.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Dick in a box would have been a whole lot cheaper...and classier
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Save some money and just make this and give it to her.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#13]
should have done the groupon deal
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the reminder.
I shall pick up a Coffee Crisp for the Mrs on my way home from work tomorrow.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. If you want to send flowers on those days, pay up sucka.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I told my wife I don't do valentines BS when we meet.  Been working for years. I recommend that to any new couple. I can take my wife on a date any day of the year, don't need BS holiday to do that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fat tasty dick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is FTD?

Fat tasty dick.
That's the first thing that comes to mind for you huh?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Spending money on Valentine's day is for fools

Hey honey, I don't care to do anything special for you the other 364 days of the year, so here's some overpriced flowers and chocolate. Hope you like it. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a damn shame what it cost for a few flowers.....  like this proves your love....  

the whole wedding ring concept needs to go as well......

Women  want equal rights, equal pay, woman marches, gender names removed...........  then  stop expecting flowers and diamond engagement rings
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#20]
One of the advantages of being poor is that your wife doesn't expect shit like that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d9/a6/d3/d9a6d32087258d3398d50a6bdac607ca.jpg
View Quote
Cue "You might be a redneck, if'n you've made a bouquet from Pabst Blue Ribbon (or Hamm's) cans."

No offense to my Brother Rednecks, off course.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I convinced my wife that Valentines day is an international conspiracy between confectionery manufacturers, jewelers, and florists to rape your wallet. I also told her she can buy herself flowers anytime she wants because I won't be on Valentine's day. She hasn't left me yet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, don't fall for that "$19.99 for a dozen roses!" ad. They add about $17.50 for basic shipping and handling (if I recall correctly) and another $8 or some such for the vase to hold them.

Last time I did that I think it ran me about $45 for those 19 dollar roses.
View Quote

You got off light.  My son in law ordered some for my daughter and they charged him $79.99.  When SIL tried to get charges reversed they upped the ante to $799.99.  Took almost 3 months to get it taken care of.

I just buy mine at Wally's or the grocery store and take them home.  $9 to $19 a dozen depending but no extra charges.  Also buy the mixed flowers for as little as 4.95 a dozen, includes antique roses and smell better longer than just roses.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hey honey, I don't care to do anything special for you the other 364 days of the year, so here's some overpriced flowers and chocolate. Hope you like it. 
View Quote

This right here!

My wife has explicitly said she doesn't want flowers, candy, or jewelry on days it's "expected" like Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. When the "Every kiss begins with Kay" commercials come on, she rolls here eyes and comments on the "poor suckers" that are getting taken to the cleaners by the advertising machine. I usually send flowers around dates that are important to us (anniversaries, special memories, etc..) and sometimes she gets flowers on random days just because she's an awesome wife.

I found a local florist that sends much nicer arrangements, often for a lower price, than the big flower sellers like FTD, etc. I go in and talk with the florist about what stock he'll have coming in and pretty much pick the flowers that I want for the arrangement.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Im cheap. I'll show up at my best girls place tomorrow with roses from Costco and a six pack of her favorite beer. if thats not good enough, okay...next!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Just call a local florist.

Skip FTD middleman.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Flowers
To
Day

Or some shit like that.
View Quote

Florists' Telegraph Delivery
(Yeah, that's how old it is.)

It's a huge waste of money.  You have actual florists near you.  Find who they are and call them.  You will get a better product for less money.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#28]
60 bucks for flowers? Just so you can get laid?

I though the six bucks I spent on a rag and a can of ether was steep.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Stop by the grocery store on your way home from work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Just get her a teddy bear.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just call a local florist.

Skip FTD middleman.
View Quote

isn't there a member here who works at 1800-flowers?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
I just want that box.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Flowers
To
Day
Or some shit like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is FTD?

Flowers
To
Day
Or some shit like that.

Floral Trans-world Delivery (originally Florists' Telegraph Delivery).  I sent flowers to my wife in St. Louis from Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm using FTD.  I don't think I have used them since.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Florists' Telegraph Delivery
(Yeah, that's how old it is.)

It's a huge waste of money.  You have actual florists near you.  Find who they are and call them.  You will get a better product for less money.
View Quote
They call themselves Florists' Transworld Delivery now, but what do they know?  

If it's local, I buy flowers at the grocery store's floral shop. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This right here!

My wife has explicitly said she doesn't want flowers, candy, or jewelry on days it's "expected" like Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. When the "Every kiss begins with Kay" commercials come on, she rolls here eyes and comments on the "poor suckers" that are getting taken to the cleaners by the advertising machine. I usually send flowers around dates that are important to us (anniversaries, special memories, etc..) and sometimes she gets flowers on random days just because she's an awesome wife.

I found a local florist that sends much nicer arrangements, often for a lower price, than the big flower sellers like FTD, etc. I go in and talk with the florist about what stock he'll have coming in and pretty much pick the flowers that I want for the arrangement.
View Quote

Same experience here. I've gone into my local florist and said "she doesn't like roses, can you put something together for $50?" And what I got was an enormous bouquet of flowers. Take out the middle man and they'll treat you right.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Valentines Day should just be called what it is....Tax on Men Day.

1-800 Flowers hit me with a $25.98 Service Fee.... Not to mention the outrageous pricing on the flowers themselves. The flowers "have" to be delivered to their offices so all of the women can dick measure between themselves as to who's boyfriend/husband "loves" them the most. Then they get to pity the women who didn't get flowers.....awwwww.... Then we get buy presents and pay for dinner.....

I hate this fucking holiday......
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine likes the chocolate I spend like $12 on a card and a box of chocolates. And she likes to buy the sheer panties and other sexy lace clothing and we have a good time feeling like teenagers again. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Online ordering prices are ridiculous.  Flower arrangements that are $20 any other day are $60 on Valentine's day.  I just go by Safeway and get whatever they have for under 15 bucks.  If you go during the day when the floral department is staffed they will wrap it up and make it look good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Screw online delivery companies.

I picked up two dozen red roses with some Gerber daisies this morning from a bulk flower distributor this morning for under $40.  Dropped it off at my wife's office.

Now on to March 14th :)
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Aldi has roses for $5. Nice ones, too.

I just stop by there occasionally, and fuck Valentine's Day.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I told my wife I don't do valentines BS when we meet.  Been working for years. I recommend that to any new couple. I can take my wife on a date any day of the year, don't need BS holiday to do that.
View Quote

Yep.
Married 15 years. Have never done Valentine's Day anything.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Fucking Pro Flowers pulled the same shit on me.

I would have told the to fuck right off, but I'm STILL all screwed up with Sciatica and I'm drugged up and house-bound and can't go get them myself.

All I can say is the flowers better be dynosupreme or I'm SO going to trash the shit out of them on Yelp! Oh yeah! Take THAT, you bastards!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Flowers on Valentine's Day are a ripoff.  You're paging premium prices for flowers that sat in a refrigerator truck for a few days prior.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Holy shit! I'm SO getting one for next year!

If the wife kills me, you can't call dibs on my shit, although I WILL say you put a smile on my face!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What is FTD?
View Quote

Field Training Detachment.  Was assigned to one while stationed at Nellis in the early 90s.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
All the online places do that too.  "19.99 for roses and chocolates, 39.99 for shipping handling".  

Tried Proflowers, discovered that they just ship the flowers in an uninsulated box via UPS, which works very poorly when the area you delivering to has single digit temps this time of year.
View Quote

Fuck ProFlowers.

3 orders and all 3 times, the flowers were mangled/damaged as if some critters mistook the flower box, for a Prius, and had a soup kitchen in it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Cue "You might be a redneck, if'n you've made a bouquet from Pabst Blue Ribbon (or Hamm's) cans."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d9/a6/d3/d9a6d32087258d3398d50a6bdac607ca.jpg

I'm thinking cue Toby Kieth!

There's a whole new verse for his song, right there...
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#48]
lol victim of this today too.

the 20% coupon applied to the cost of the flowers, not to the 21.99$ delivery charge.

ETA they said it was 20% off yet it went from like $62.99 down to $54.00 so I'm not sure what kind of special common core math major they have working in the discount department
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#49]
They got me last year. Best part is I paid for AM delivery and they got there 5 min before she left at the end of the day.

They did offer me a $5 credit and I told them to get fucked.

Never again.

ETA
And they weren't what I fucking ordered.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Same experience here. I've gone into my local florist and said "she doesn't like roses, can you put something together for $50?" And what I got was an enormous bouquet of flowers. Take out the middle man and they'll treat you right.
View Quote

My go-to flowers for my wife is "a $50 presentation bouquet of fresh-cut flowers."  It's BIG and showy with plastic wrap around the stems.  She doesn't like roses or bouquets of roses.

Kinda like this except MUCH BIGGER and a wider variety of colors.  Makes her wild.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top