Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2001 1:36:26 PM EDT
I went to my FFL today to have him send Shawn ([url]www.cavalryarms.com[/url]) a FFL copy to do a transfer,

when what before my wonderous eyes did appear,

but a GYROJET PISTOL,
IN THE BOX,
ALL PAPERWORK,
AND IT EVEN CONTAINS A LETTER FROM RONALD REGAN, A FELLOW GYROJET PISTOL OWNER, THANKING IT'S PREVIOUS OWNER FOR SENDING HIM AMMO FOR HIS (Regan's) GYROJET PISTOL!!!

For those of you who don't know what a Gyrojet is,
it is a pistol that fires a 12.7MM (?) Stabalized rocket.
Thier production was choked out by the 1968 GCA, which was drafted in part because of the Gyrojet series, and it's scary projectile.
They are kinda rare today.

I AM [red]SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/red] stoked about getting this.

Down side is, rounds for it are like $20.00 a pop, if you can find them. [:(]

What sucks the most is that this technology was never allowed to fully develop.
Could you imagine if Gyrojets had been evolving all this time, into the "computer age?"??
"Smart-Bullets" would be a reality today.

McUZI
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
NICE!!!!!

Post a picture when you get it!
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Those things are bad ass. You can catch a bullet in your hand up to a couple feet in front of the end of the barrel before it has time to speed up.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
NICE!!!!!

Post a picture when you get it!
View Quote

[img]http://www.classicfirearms.org/images/Gyrojet.jpg[/img]

is this it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
How much is it? I want one.

Also inaccurate, but with computer chip technology...
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a pic of the carbine...
[img]http://www.gunsamerica.com/upload/22380264.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear you can stop the projectile by putting your finger over the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Those are fugly
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personal experience???
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Captain Obvious:
Quoted:
View Quote

Personal experience???
View Quote

I wish!  History Channel!
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#11]
What kind of ammo does that thing shoot?

Six

Link Posted: 5/26/2001 2:14:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Beagles) Yup. Dat b da one.

The whole thing about being able to "catch a bullet" is totally true, if you can believe it.

Being a "rocket", it needs sufficient time to gain velocity, so, it has no real "point blank range"-

This lack of close range power, coupled with the technologys inherent inaccuracy at long range, makes this more a novelty than anything.

BUT, god forbid you are on the recieveing end of a gyrojet-rocket at full-speed. It would V_A_P_O_R_I_Z_E anything it hit.

Another kewl fact is that these were designed for the space program to provide cold-war era astronauts a viable weapon in space should we have ever had to fight commies on the moon.

These things are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool! [:D]

Wilson) Dude. If you have A_N_Y info on that dude in WI who makes rockets, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

Best-

McSpacely
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#15]
The state museum in Carson City,Nevada has one in the firearms collection. Very Cool!
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Cost?
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cost?
View Quote

I'll say this.
I'm eatin Ramen for a couple of months.
But there are absolutley [red]NO![/red] other Gyro's out there as nics as this one, with such impeccable provanonce (S?)-

Have wanted one forever, and I have never even SEEN one b4.
Needless 2 say, when I saw it sittin in my dealers case, I had to pounce, no matter what it costed me.
It came from a Butterfields Auction too!
Even comes with all the bid history!

[green]SPACE GUNS RULE!!!!!!!!!![/green]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#19]
McGyro,
Here is a link and a small selection from the web page.
[url]http://www.classicfirearms.org/feb2000mbaGyr.html[/url]

Thanks to David Kirschbaum, who actually used a Gyrojet in a combat situation, for this information:

Okay, here it is, from the horse's mouth. I carried one in combat, so this is personal first-hand experience, and from an SF [Special Forces] Weapons Man at that.

I was issued one, a 13mm Bensen Gyrojet, in Vietnam, SOA (CCC), in February or March 1969, right out of the supply room, along with a couple dozen rockets. I used it as my "belly gun", on a lanyard around my neck and tucked into a claymore bag across my chest. It was very light, even fully loaded, so the weight wasn't a problem. A little big and bulky, but no worse than a .45, and shorter than the .22 silenced Hi-standards that were also available.

Military testers were first intrigued and then disappointed by the Gyrojet. Under certain humidity conditions, the Gyrojet round often left a temporary but noticeable vapor trail leading back to the shooter! The feature could prove fatal to the firer in a combat situation.

NOTE: The Gyrojet 'round', 13mm in diameter and 38mm long, was composed of two parts—a solid 'warhead' and a tubular body containing a propellant charge.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Miss Cleo says "Ooohh, raydeeohmaann, you be needin' one of those too!"

radioman
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Bottom of the page!
[url]http://collectiblefirearms.com/RiflesModernMilitary.html[/url]

MBA Gyrojet Rocket Carbine
Cal. 13 mm

[img]http://collectiblefirearms.com/Pictures/mlr_0003a.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#22]
[url]http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/seven_misc.txt[/url]

You have to read the entire case and ruling.

Last finding of the ruling:
"Government Exhibits 6 and 7, the gyrojet pistols, have not been shown to be destructive devices or any other weapons as the Government contends.  Accordingly, they are not firearms requiring registration."
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice collector piece. Interesting piece of gun trivia. But totally impractical. Remember reading about these in Guns & Ammo when they first came out. Problem with them, besides being wildly inaccurate, it that it takes the "projectile" a good bit of time to build up steam before it reaches terminal velocity. Like it wasn't something to have a shoot out with in a bar room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top