Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 12/15/2006 6:38:30 AM EST
Yes, I am type 2.

This is AWESOME.

In a discovery that has stunned even those behind it, scientists at a Toronto hospital say they have proof the body's nervous system helps trigger diabetes, opening the door to a potential near-cure of the disease that affects millions of Canadians.

Diabetic mice became healthy virtually overnight after researchers injected a substance to counteract the effect of malfunctioning pain neurons in the pancreas.

"I couldn't believe it," said Dr. Michael Salter, a pain expert at the Hospital for Sick Children and one of the scientists. "Mice with diabetes suddenly didn't have diabetes any more."

www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=a042812e-492c-4f07-8245-8a598ab5d1bf&k=63970

TXL
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:39:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2006 6:46:35 AM EST by Curare]
Not bad from the nation that invented insulin.

If this pans out, it will help the small percentage of diabetics who are type 1, with a decreased production of insulin.

However, it does NOT address insulin resistance, the main problem in the millions, upon millions, who are affected with diabetes mellitus type 2 (some of those patients also are insulin deficient, so it well help those, however).
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:40:28 AM EST
If this pans out, this is HUGE news. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:40:53 AM EST
That's awesome, I have a family member, and a friend, with Diabetes. I hope this makes the jump to a human treatment!
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:41:20 AM EST
Great news! I have it on both sides of my family, so...well, great news!
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:46:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Curare:

If this pans out, it will help the small percentage of diabetics who are type 1, with a decreased production of insulin.

However, it does NOT address insulin resistance, the main problem in the millions who are affected with diabetes mellitus type 2.

Invented insulin? God invented insulin.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:46:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By Peak_Oil:

However, it does NOT address insulin resistance, the main problem in the millions who are affected with diabetes mellitus type 2.

Synthetic insulin asshat.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:53:20 AM EST

Doc, you might want to read page 2 of the article, containing this line:

"They also discovered that their treatments curbed the insulin resistance that is the hallmark of Type 2 diabetes, and that insulin resistance is a major factor in Type 1 diabetes, suggesting the two illnesses are quite similar."
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:56:10 AM EST

The discover of rDNA insulin is Genentech
Recombinant DNA human insulin secreted by a genetically modified E Coli bacteria. Previously, porcine derived insulin was the standard and that is what the Canucks Banting and Macleod "discovered" in their isolation of the hormone(actually, discovery is credited to someone else)
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:58:05 AM EST
I know diabetes is in my future so I hope this works.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:00:15 AM EST
That's great news, but sadly, it is too late for many.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:18:56 AM EST
I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:27:12 AM EST
Great. My wife might be able to grow old with me now.

Gestational diabetes turned into type 2 diabetes for her.

Rare case, but real for us (her).
Daily injections with Lantus at night, and Novalog (Humalog) Pen type injections with every meal.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:34:49 AM EST
As a type 1 this sounds good to me. It may help my claim with the VA concerning my diabetes since I have no family history. This makes a good argument for nerve-related disorder being the cause.

Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:39:45 AM EST
Gestational diabete progressing into DM Type 2 is actually very common, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:41:06 AM EST
They pepper spray the pancrease. Who'da thunk it?

Is this going to make capsaicin a controlled substance?
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:56:34 AM EST
excellent...

I can beat family genes...
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:59:55 AM EST

Link Posted: 12/15/2006 4:06:07 PM EST
bigsapper,

I friend of mine has diabetes and receives a disablilty from the army for it. Diabetes can result from exposure to agent orange. He told me the army considers anyone that served in Vietnam to have been exposed to agent orange. Certain areas in Korea also were exposed.

Link Posted: 12/15/2006 4:11:43 PM EST
My 30 year old son who is diabetic just left my house two minutes ago.

I wish I read this thread before he left.

Good news if true.

GM
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 4:11:53 PM EST
more like great new for diabetic mice

height=8
The researchers caution they have yet to confirm their findings in people,
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:21:59 PM EST
Awesome if it jumps the species barrier from mice to humans...
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 6:59:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By Keith_J:

The discover of rDNA insulin is Genentech
Recombinant DNA human insulin secreted by a genetically modified E Coli bacteria. Previously, porcine derived insulin was the standard and that is what the Canucks Banting and Macleod "discovered" in their isolation of the hormone(actually, discovery is credited to someone else)

Synthetic insulin, indeed. However.......(from Wikipedia)........

"However, the Nobel prizes committee in 1923 credited the practical extraction of insulin to a team at the University of Toronto. In October 1920, Frederick Banting......."

Banting is generally credited with the first purification and therapeutic administration of insulin in medicine. And his work was done in Canada.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:18:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By pyro6988:
I know diabetes is in my future so I hope this works.

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:20:02 PM EST
Great news, i hope it works out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:23:29 PM EST
wow
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:25:04 PM EST
very interesting. My dad has type II and I'm a virtual clone of my dad
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:32:08 PM EST

can you get synthetic asshat that is not insulin asshat? I just want me some asshat.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:42:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2006 7:43:23 PM EST by AyeGuy]

Originally Posted By twonami:

Are you Boba Fett?
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:43:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2006 7:43:58 PM EST by twonami]

Originally Posted By AyeGuy:

Originally Posted By twonami:

Are you Boba Fett?

Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:50:58 PM EST
Oh boy, I will be able to eat all the Chocolate I want.

Birng it on.

Russell Stover, I'm coming for you!
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:54:01 PM EST
I would give my left nut not to have to take my daily insulin.

Really, I would!
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 5:04:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By FordGuy:

can you get synthetic asshat that is not insulin asshat? I just want me some asshat.

Quoting for posterity. Eventually the booze will wear off and FordGuy will deny trying this and suggesting "arfcom" be replaced with "The Com"

Remember boys and girls, this is what happens when posting while drinking and its bad, m'kay?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:43:18 AM EST

However, it does NOT address insulin resistance, the main problem in the millions, upon millions, who are affected with diabetes mellitus type 2 (some of those patients also are insulin deficient, so it well help those, however).

Actually, the test showed that it did remove the resistance that is type 2 diabetes.

I have this, and am very excited.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:58:26 AM EST
At the Science Center in Toronto they had a mock up of the lab that Banting and Best worked in. Not quite like the lab in CSI. More like a workbench in the shed out back.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:45:20 AM EST
Sure would be welcome news to my wife. She has heredity type 2 diabetes and is really having a tough time controlling it. Just started Byetta injections which is a protein discovered in Gila Monster spit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:48:26 AM EST
My mom is type 2.

Thanks for sharing this story TxLewis.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:57:19 AM EST
Emailing story to older brother.
Thanks TxLewis.
And happy New Year to ya!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:13:56 AM EST
And a Happy New Year to you as well gorgeous.

And to everyone.

TXL
Top Top