Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 1:32:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#1]
cables don't just come loose unless the system has been dropped.  even then its rare.    

I was using my main system on friday night.   playing a music video, surfing the web, my harddrive started clicking  then  bamm  my mouse stopped moving and the whole system locked up.   that was my 2nd  WD SE  120GB hardrive that died 1 month out of warranty.  

i would say out of all components in a computer harddrive's crap out the most.
  most companies  have a diagnostic utility on thiieir web page.   you download it put it on a floppy or cd and run a full diag on your drive, to see if its failing.  

im doing that at work right now on a seagate drive as we speak

luckily i didn't need anything on my drive, sure their was stuff i'd like to have.   that is why you back up your  sh**
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It is very unlikely both drives failed at once.

It could be the cable I have seen it happen. Open the case reset the cables or better yet exchange them for known good cables.

It is possible the boot loader is messed up this is not uncommon on dual boot machines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top