Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/12/2002 3:27:20 AM EDT
Sorry, had to vent.

This POS OS has frozen up more times in three days than my old system did running Win2000 Pro over the past year.

This is for the Windows XP team:[double finger]

This is for the dudes at Dell for not making a Win2000 video driver for this notebook:[double finger]

Thank you for listening, good night.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 3:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Wierd.  I tend to abuse computers, and I have noticed no real problems with XP.  IMHO, it's the best Window$ yet, once you gut the GUI.

Sorry it's not working out for you.

Quoted:
Sorry, had to vent.

This POS OS has frozen up more times in three days than my old system did running Win2000 Pro over the past year.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:30:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used Windows 2000 ADVANCED Server on my Dell at work for quite some time. Switched to Windows XP Pro and have had no real problems...

At home, I run Windows 2000 Pro, and Windows ME. Windows ME hangs all the time-- always have to reboot. When I first got the machine, it had SO MANY problems, which was due to McAfee Viruscanner. I disabled that, and at least I can bootup regularly now... However, it still hangs for no reason, and Explorer is usually the culprit.

I hope XP will fix the freezing up problems...

BTW: did you upgrade your previous OS or did you format & install fresh? that could be the problem...

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Strange, I have XP computers here that haven't been rebooted in months and there are being used daily.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Strange, I have XP computers here that haven't been rebooted in months and there are being used daily.
View Quote

Same here,

My XP box has been up and running for 5+ months without a single reboot.

Sounds like somebody did an upgrade [:(] rather than a "clean" install [:)].

-
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:11:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably 3rd party software and drivers, possibly the hardware...
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Why would you go from Win 2000 Pro to XP?  What kind of video card (the chipset) is in that laptop?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[rolleyes]

XP is, by far, the most stable and resilient platform in the NT family. It has some quirks, but nothing like 9x or even earlier NT iterations. Perhaps your issues are not OS based?
View Quote

Not so in our enterprise environment.  Windows 2000 has proven to be more stable than XP.  Especially on our developers systems.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a developer. No problems here.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wierd.  I tend to abuse computers, and I have noticed no real problems with XP.  IMHO, it's the best Window$ yet, once you gut the GUI.

Sorry it's not working out for you.

Quoted:
Sorry, had to vent.

View Quote
View Quote

Fiz,

My Wife and I are with you...XP is the best most stable OS We've used.

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm a developer. No problems here.
View Quote

I'm sure it works fine for many people.  However, in our extremely heterogenous network system here, XP didn't work as well for us as 2000 Pro.  Some of our programmers were having memory problems that went away after moving to 2000 Pro.  XP didn't like the Gig of RAM in some of their workstations.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
And keep in mind folks that there is a difference between XP Home editions and Professional editions.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree that basically across the board, XP or 2000 are far greater than anything else that MS has put out previously.  Especially over ME.  MS really screwed a lot of people with that one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#14]
It could be worse.

You could still be on 95, or even better 3.11 WFW
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#15]
OK so your SAME computer locked up when you had 2000. You install XP and it locks up even more now.

You then get on AR15.com and tell everyone XP sucks.

So do you usually tell everyone your an idiot?

I wonder if your having a hardware issue? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Could be a skills related issue :D
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Try XP PRO, much betta.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#19]
1) Dell does NOT make drivers. They don't even make computers (just little stickers that say 'DELL' with a crooked 'e')...

What video card does your laptop have? You can probably get drivers from the manufacturer's website.

2) Windows XP does indeed suck, and that includes all versions. Crashing is to be expected from Windows. However in terms of size and a lack of certian 'MS knows best' design features, 2000 or 98 are much more livable than the radioactive-glowing-blue monster (yes I know you can turn off the fugly color scheme, but...)... ME was worse, but XP is 'ME on the NT code-base'....

P.S. There is no real difference between versions of any NT product (except the here-any-day-now 'datacenter server') as far as program code is concerned. What separates XP Pro from XP Home is a series of registry settings that determine what Microsoft 'allows' you to do with that version (The same was true of NT 4 Workstation vs Server: 5 minor files and some registry tweaks separated them, that's all).

This has been demonstrated by a registry-patch that 'changes' XP Home into any other version (and releases SMP restrictions, et al).
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#20]
The Microsoft fanatics love to blame the hardware.  At work, we've bought about two dozen nice machines from people that "issues" with XP (or in the past, previous versions of NT), and Microsoft blamed the hardware.  With the vast majority of them, they work 100% with Linux.  Doesn't seem like a hardware problem to me.  The nice IBM server that's my web proxy (that I always access this site through) has just under 600 days of continuous uptime so far.  We bought it from our accountant who couldn't get it to run more than 24 hours without locking-up w/ XP.  Doesn't sound like it's likely it's always a hardware problem...z
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I have over 50 computers (home users) out there I've built for friends and family. All AMD type hardware.

I've built and supported over 250 XP computers at work over the last year and a half that were all Intel boards and processors.

I'VE HAD HARDLY ANY ISSUE'S WITH XP!!!

Out of these 300 machines I've GREAT success!

This range of people include light home users, heavy home users, light business users, heavy business users.

Straight up, XP is a great OS and if you consistantly have issue's with it, then your not doing something right cause it works fine for our business and for my friends and family.

Are you installing your drivers in correct order if you own intel?

Are you installing the latest 4 in 1 for via chipsets?

Have you flashed your BIOS lately?

How old is your computer?

I know my old BX6 version 2 ABIT motherboard has ACPI issue's with XP, but 2000 and below it works fine.

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I am currently supporting just over 2200 PC's in about a heterogeneous of an environment as you can get- Win2000AS, NT4, OPEN VMS, and SUN.

Since upgrading all of our clients from Win95 to XP, support issues have fallen off dramatically. Heck, I'm starting to feel like the "Maytag Repair Man".  [:)]

Don't let anybody kid ya, there is some skill required in designing, installing, and maintaining these systems.

Just because some pimple-faced kid "brain dumped" an MSCE, it doesn't mean he knows what he is doing.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just because some pimple-faced kid "brain dumped" an MSCE, it doesn't mean he knows what he is doing.
View Quote

Roger that!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#24]
What about all these Apple commercials trashing windows? Anyone use Mac.? [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Wierd. I tend to abuse computers, and I have noticed no real problems with XP. IMHO, it's the best Window$ yet, once you gut the GUI.

What you mean cleaning out the GUI? Is that when you go into system Info and start-up. Then uncheck what you don't want to run when you strt the computer?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd have to agree.  I support numerous users at my company that run all flavors on Windoze - 95,98,nt,2000 and xp.  I would have to say that XP is the best yet.  Next to no issues.  I know it's been mentioned before, but check your BIOS, and if it's a dell, check their website.  If you'd like some help, that is what I mainly support, so let me know.

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh, those users?  They are having problems connecting to the internet.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've used Windows 2000 ADVANCED Server on my Dell at work for quite some time. Switched to Windows XP Pro and have had no real problems...

At home, I run Windows 2000 Pro, and Windows ME. Windows ME hangs all the time-- always have to reboot. When I first got the machine, it had SO MANY problems, which was due to McAfee Viruscanner. I disabled that, and at least I can bootup regularly now... However, it still hangs for no reason, and Explorer is usually the culprit.

I hope XP will fix the freezing up problems...

BTW: did you upgrade your previous OS or did you format & install fresh? that could be the problem...

View Quote

It's a fresh install on a PIV 1.6ghz note.

While I didn't mind having to install a separate Sun JVM, I do mind when a phantom folder window appears on the taskbar.  When I move the mouse down there the screen turns white.  This phantom window doesn't even have a name on it.  Same effect if I right click on it in an attempt to close it.  Weird.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here,

My XP box has been up and running for 5+ months without a single reboot.

Sounds like somebody did an upgrade [:(] rather than a "clean" install [:)].

-
View Quote

Fresh install from a Dell factory XP disk.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[rolleyes]

XP is, by far, the most stable and resilient platform in the NT family. It has some quirks, but nothing like 9x or even earlier NT iterations. Perhaps your issues are not OS based?
View Quote

I really miss Win2000.  That thing hardly ever froze up or crashed on my old PIII notebook.  

I'll see if it settles down the next few days.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Probably 3rd party software and drivers, possibly the hardware...
View Quote

This is a notebook.  Every peripheral is 100% "Dude you're getting a Dell" certified.

This is what I loaded so far:

- Office XP ( Word only )
- Nero 5.5
- Sun JVM
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why would you go from Win 2000 Pro to XP?  What kind of video card (the chipset) is in that laptop?
View Quote

I did have Win2000 on this for a few hours but then I realized Dell didn't make the video driver for it.

Different notebook.  The dudes at Dell didn't make a Win2000 video driver for this model.  They want everyone to use XP.

There's an ATI 16mb something or other in here.

If I use Win2000 on this note the max res would be 800 x 600.  Maybe ATI makes a driver?  At this point I'd be happy with 800 x 600.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OK so your SAME computer locked up when you had 2000. You install XP and it locks up even more now.

You then get on AR15.com and tell everyone XP sucks.

So do you usually tell everyone your an idiot?

I wonder if your having a hardware issue? [rolleyes]
View Quote

No hardware issue here when it's a notebook and everything is 100% factory dude you got a Dell.  

How does this thread make me an idiot?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Try XP PRO, much betta.
View Quote

Is XP Pro and not a copy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

While I didn't mind having to install a separate Sun JVM,  
View Quote

Why install Sun JVM? [rolleyes]

Let me guess, you got Nutscrape on there too?

[:)]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1) Dell does NOT make drivers. They don't even make computers (just little stickers that say 'DELL' with a crooked 'e')...

What video card does your laptop have? You can probably get drivers from the manufacturer's website.

2) Windows XP does indeed suck, and that includes all versions. Crashing is to be expected from Windows. However in terms of size and a lack of certian 'MS knows best' design features, 2000 or 98 are much more livable than the radioactive-glowing-blue monster (yes I know you can turn off the fugly color scheme, but...)... ME was worse, but XP is 'ME on the NT code-base'....

P.S. There is no real difference between versions of any NT product (except the here-any-day-now 'datacenter server') as far as program code is concerned. What separates XP Pro from XP Home is a series of registry settings that determine what Microsoft 'allows' you to do with that version (The same was true of NT 4 Workstation vs Server: 5 minor files and some registry tweaks separated them, that's all).

This has been demonstrated by a registry-patch that 'changes' XP Home into any other version (and releases SMP restrictions, et al).
View Quote

Good idea, I'll see if the ATI site has a driver.

I'm SOL!

ATI Chips in Laptops and Notebooks  

NOTE - Display drivers and multimedia applications for Laptops and Notebooks are NOT available for download from ATI Customer Service.

The display driver supplied with a given laptop or notebook has been customized for:

the built-in flat panel display
any other graphics or video options installed in that specific computer.
As a result of these modifications, ATI Customer Service is unable to offer "generic" drivers for laptops and notebooks.
View Quote

Win2000 is going back on here no matter what.  800 x 600 res or not.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I didn't mind having to install a separate Sun JVM,  
View Quote

Why install Sun JVM? [rolleyes]

Let me guess, you got Nutscrape on there too?

[:)]
View Quote

IE 6.

It was a faster download.  Maybe it's cuz I didn't put SP1 on it yet?

I'll never use Nutscraper!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#38]
SeaDweller, go to [url]http://premiersupport.dell.com[/url], sign up, put in your notebooks support tag# (on a sticker underneath). Go to "downloads" and select language country and OS (xp). Download and install all the driver and bios upgrades they provide.

ATI Mobility M4 drivers are quite mature and I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have over 50 computers (home users) out there I've built for friends and family. All AMD type hardware.

I've built and supported over 250 XP computers at work over the last year and a half that were all Intel boards and processors.

I'VE HAD HARDLY ANY ISSUE'S WITH XP!!!

Out of these 300 machines I've GREAT success!

This range of people include light home users, heavy home users, light business users, heavy business users.

Straight up, XP is a great OS and if you consistantly have issue's with it, then your not doing something right cause it works fine for our business and for my friends and family.

Are you installing your drivers in correct order if you own intel?

Are you installing the latest 4 in 1 for via chipsets?

Have you flashed your BIOS lately?

How old is your computer?

I know my old BX6 version 2 ABIT motherboard has ACPI issue's with XP, but 2000 and below it works fine.

View Quote

Good idea on the chipset and bios.  I forgot about that.

Computer is a PIV 1.6ghz.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!  I know one guy that only has an MCSE and still working with no CS degree either.  Everyone else he used to work with and also only had an MCSE got canned.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just saw that a couple minutes ago.  The girl whose Window puter just started making noise and half her paper was gone.

I did try using Apple before but I couldn't hang with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maybe it's cuz I didn't put SP1 on it yet?

No need for SP1 just to install MS JVM.

Repeat after me: Google is my friend.. Google is my friend......

[url]www.softwarepatch.com/windows/javavm.html[/url]

Do yourself a favor. When installing components that "integrate with the OS", like browsers and JVMs, use MS products with MS OS's.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'd have to agree.  I support numerous users at my company that run all flavors on Windoze - 95,98,nt,2000 and xp.  I would have to say that XP is the best yet.  Next to no issues.  I know it's been mentioned before, but check your BIOS, and if it's a dell, check their website.  If you'd like some help, that is what I mainly support, so let me know.

View Quote

Thanks, I'm gonna chipset and bios it up later.  I'm pretty sure that could be the cause.

When I upgraded the bios on my other Dell the well documented blank screen memory problem disappeared.

Still current on the A01 bios.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
SeaDweller, go to [url]http://premiersupport.dell.com[/url], sign up, put in your notebooks support tag# (on a sticker underneath). Go to "downloads" and select language country and OS (xp). Download and install all the driver and bios upgrades they provide.

ATI Mobility M4 drivers are quite mature and I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
View Quote

Bios updates are my top priority.  I'm heading over there in a minute.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Outside of a couple of games my kids like and are no longer on my system I have never been happier.

Of course I purchased a new computer with XP installed and I have not installed XP on my old computers or laptop. That would not be wise.

THISISME

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Baeh.
Do a /really/ clean install from a XP Pro disk instead.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just saw that a couple minutes ago.  The girl whose Window puter just started making noise and half her paper was gone.
View Quote

Check Google for "Ellen Feiss".

Blip blip blip blip blip, like...duh! :)

Could it be that the video adapter supports max 800 by 600?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I had 95 up until three months ago I liked it because none of the new viruses woud go for it because most went using it anymore and it still ran most programs I bought. now I got a new Dell 4500 and have XP with no problems its a leap and a half ahead of 95 But now I run norton Anti-virus with auto updates. hopefully that will stop most things cause I cant afford a new comp
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe it's cuz I didn't put SP1 on it yet?

No need for SP1 just to install MS JVM.

Repeat after me: Google is my friend.. Google is my friend......

[url]www.softwarepatch.com/windows/javavm.html[/url]

Do yourself a favor. When installing components that "integrate with the OS", like browsers and JVMs, use MS products with MS OS's.
View Quote

You're right.  I dunno what I was thinking.  Sun probably juiced the code after they sued Microsoft.  I got enemy software on my system!

Another fresh reload and MS VM is in order.

Thanks for the tips XM777!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Baeh.
Do a /really/ clean install from a XP Pro disk instead.
View Quote

Ok, I can locate that.  If I don't log in later I my puter met it's fate with some Fed OO tactical load 9 pellet buck.

Later...maybe...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top