Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/3/2003 12:29:37 PM EDT
Before, I thought it didnt matter who wore it. Today driving to work I see this dude going to some salon wearing it and I really had to re-think my position on it. I was able to get this snap shot.

Like I said, maybe we should make it illegal for people like this to buy it;
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11998[/img]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree 100%.
Every time I see some non-Marine wearing MARPAT...

...they look mighty queer.
I guess that's the way it is.  
But then again wannabes who play dress-up usually do.

[:)]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't that Garandman????

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
MARPAT is a uniform designed by the Marine Corps for Marines, just like dress blues.

For those of you who don't have a problem with just anyone wearing MARPAT: would you wear a set of dress blues?
View Quote

It is no different than those schmucks that wear Navy Pea Coats.

Or the Dixie Cup covers.

(actually I used to like it when the strippers would wear my dixie cup.....)
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
MARPAT is a uniform designed by the Marine Corps for Marines, just like dress blues.

For those of you who don't have a problem with just anyone wearing MARPAT: would you wear a set of dress blues?
View Quote
Oh, f*** it, if a marine can't rely on his training and the rep of the marines to be proud, if he needs a special pair of shirt and pants to "feel" the pride I say let him have it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not fit into my dress uniform now so I would not wear it, and it was the dress greens of the Army. Would I wear the dress blue uniform of a marine, no because a dress uniform has Decorations and achivement ribbons on it, without the patches, decorations,and buttons, it is just  blue cloth, with the patches and the decorations it is a [b]Marines Uniform[/b] I see no big deal in a guy wanting to wear the BDU you reference, unless it is because it is the marine globe on it that bothers people, and I see that on bumper stickers, hats, cups, a lot of things.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]
No, I wouldn't wear the Dress Blues, but I do wear the BDU's

JH22, I know what it is, you just want to see the strippers taking off the MARPAT....[:D]

Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Isn't that Garandman????

Sgtar15
View Quote

....now that you mention it.   [BD]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do realize that MARPAT was designed in an [B]ARMY[/B] research labratory don't you?
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Wear a uniform you haven't earned, look like an ass.
It's up to you.

I say if you want to wear it, wear it.
But if you wear it, wear it with the knowledge that you're playing dress-up.  That you're a wannabe and a clown.

It's a free country.  You are free to choose to look like a complete ass.

Most people will know that you're not a Marine, because of the MULLET hanging over the collar.

Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You do realize that MARPAT was designed in an [B]ARMY[/B] research labratory don't you?
View Quote

That means nothing.  That's disingenuous and incomplete info.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I should never have stepped into this debate. People who don't give a shit about the Eagle, Globe and Anchor and what it represents can and will never understand what it means to Marines.
View Quote

Hey I thought we were talking about BDU's here, I would never wear the EGA, I am not a Marine, just like I would never wear the Trident, Dolphins, SW pin, Wings, etc... I have not earned them.

But it is sounding like you have a chip on your shoulder Marine. You know the truth, remain true to the Marines, and the Code. Who cares if some long haired pinko faggot commie peacenik is wearing the EGA? This Funk puke comes to mind.

Be true to who and what you are.

all the best

dave
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]
If you are an avid hunter and like the Marpat then no harm no foul In my opinion.But if your sporting it around town like you have earned the right to wear the EGA when you have never been a Marine then I think you should be Jack Slapped.I myself have both versions of the new Marpat.But then again I put my four years in the Corps,and wear my Boonie with EGA every chance I see fit.Just my $.02      
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#16]
The thing that many don't realize, is that the MARPAT uniform is not just a set of BDUs.
For now, they're special.
They're hard to get.
They're only sold to Marines, or at least originally.

Marines have always been particular about our uniforms.
We have standards that the other services don't seem to comprehend. (see as reference the polyesther green /mint green shirt, brass buttons and rainbow badges, etc.)

If you don't get it, fine.
You probably never will.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#17]
So, does this only cover Marine issue clothes or all branches?

When I was working outdoors, I wore BDUs all the time. They fit great to work in and have all the pockets I need.

In the summer, cut them off below the cargos and have shorts.

Does this mean I'm "playing dress up" and disrespecting those who served?

~ s0ulzer0

Edit: I would NEVER wear the EGA or any insignia on my clothes. That I do not agree with.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe a pattern functionally identical to MARPAT, but with a different micropattern... a happy-face, or a Nike swish, or something...

FEEPAT camo. [b]For Everybody Else [/b]Pattern[bow]

That way the rest of us can have ninja-sweet digital camo without Marines getting bent about it.

[angry][angry][marines][beathorse][angry]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a veteran and a tax payer, so I feel like I have earned the right to wear whatever BDU I want. I want a pair of MARPAT pants, but I will cut them off below the cargo pockets as soon as I get them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#21]
The Navy Pea Coat is not just another coat either, and there is hundreds of years of tradition in the Navy uniforms as well.

MARPAT is just a set of BDU's, nothing more, nothing less. It is cloth that has a cool pattern, and is cut and sewn.

It doesn't make or break the USMC

I think a lot of our Marines, and what they stand for. I think a lot of all of our Armed Services, and what they stand for.

But this is bordering on petty.

I will support you on the EGA, but not on a camo pattern.

dave
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Marines wore woodland camoflage for how long?  Who came up with that camoflage pattern? One thing I know, whoever it was SHARED!  It only makes sense to me that if something could SAVE LIVES, to let everyone have it, right?  But no, the marines, being the assholes they are, now consider their damn camo as being sacrid to the Corps, and nobody else is "worthy" to wear it. F*uck them.

BTW, I'm Army, currently deployed for Iraqi Freedom, and have trained with several marines, most of which were assholes.  I also have trained with Navy Seals, who, unlike the marines, had no chip on their shoulder, since they had nothing to prove.

Freak

Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Navy Pea Coat is not just another coat either, and there is hundreds of years of tradition in the Navy uniforms as well.

MARPAT is just a set of BDU's, nothing more, nothing less. It is cloth that has a cool pattern, and is cut and sewn.

It doesn't make or break the USMC

I think a lot of our Marines, and what they stand for. I think a lot of all of our Armed Services, and what they stand for.

But this is bordering on petty.

[red]I will support you on the EGA, but not on a camo pattern.[/red]

dave
View Quote

The Eagle, Globe, and Anchor along with the letters USMC [b]ARE[/b] a part of the cammo pattern.  There also happens to be an embroidered Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on the left breast pocket that replaces the iron on decal of previous utility uniforms.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Caveat to all my comments:
I have never served in the military (although I regret it now).

I would not wear Marpat out of respect to those who earned the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.  And I would not wear a Marine Utility cover either lest someone associate me as being or representing that I am a Marine (or ETS'd Marine).

BUT, correct me if I am mistaken, simple BUD's (woodland, desert etc), without name tapes, unit insignia, award tapes or tabs, etc. are NOT a uniform.  They are apparel.  Why should civilians be foreclosed from a whole class of camouflage type clothing just because the service uses it as well?  

I agree, if you are wearing full BDU's around town attempting to make someone think you are a Ranger, then you are a SUPER ASS.  

But I (and plenty of others) wear woodland (ususally without the coat or cover--perhaps someone would mistake me for a SF liason [;)] ) for hunting, going to the range,  playing paintball, humping throught the woods, etc. and don't think this is in the least inappropriate.    

Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I should never have stepped into this debate. People who don't give a shit about the Eagle, Globe and Anchor and what it represents can and will never understand what it means to Marines.
View Quote
Decorations/ ribbons are one thing, I saw a douchebag wearing a CIB, and it irked me cause I know (way to young) he never earned it, but the Go Army hat he wore did not bother me, get over it. Not a big deal jarhead.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Look, I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

(listen carefully this time)

[size=3]If you wear MARPAT and you're not a Marine, you in no way are showing "disrespect" for the Marine Corps.  Only Marines can damage the Corps' reputation.  

You do, however look like an idiot.  You make yourself look like a gunshow-Rambo, a wannabe who plays dress up.  You can deny this all you want, but it's true.  People who walk around in cammies look stupid enough, except that cammies are common.  People who go out of their way to track down MARPAT so that they have some to wear around town, only highlight what GEEKs they are by doing so.  

Feel free though.  Not everyone has class, and can be expected to know how to properly behave.[/size=3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Look, I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

(listen carefully this time)

[size=3]If you wear MARPAT and you're not a Marine, you in no way are showing "disrespect" for the Marine Corps.  Only Marines can damage the Corps' reputation.  

You do, however look like an idiot.  You make yourself look like a gunshow-Rambo, a wannabe who plays dress up.  You can deny this all you want, but it's true.  People who walk around in cammies look stupid enough, except that cammies are common.  People who go out of their way to track down MARPAT so that they have some to wear around town, only highlight what GEEKs they are by doing so.  

Feel free though.  Not everyone has class, and can be expected to know how to properly behave.[/size=3]
View Quote

I agree.  

But, do you make a distinction to your description as "geeks" for those who use BDU's (cammies) [i]functionally[/i] as opposed to just wearing them casually?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Of course.
Cammies are great field wear, they're great for work clothes.
AND they're a dime a dozen at the local surplus stores. ONLY non-service members can wear cammies as casual wear.  Not allowed if you're in.

MARPAT, on the other hand, is expensive and rare.
Big difference, and it goes to motive.
Why go to all the trouble for just a pair of work pants?
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Of course.
AND they're a dime a dozen at the local surplus stores. ONLY non-service members can wear cammies as casual wear.  Not allowed if you're in.

View Quote
Well hell, I will have to agree with that. I would never spend a lot of bucks for the BDU, but if it came on the market cheap, and easy to get, well I would get some then. EDIT cinc fix your avatar it looks like a pile of puke.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I always think some people take this crap too far.  It's a good camo pattern and there's lots of reason for civilians to wear camo:  hunting, police, camping, etc.

Would you ban surplus stores?  I mean, GEEZ. Pea coats for example are functional and cheap.  Same with field jackets.  If you're not intending to impersonate anyone, no one should get pissed.  (As for the EGA embedded, that's just life in the city.  The Army's likely to steal that pattern with mods pretty soon anyway, b/c it really does work great).  

I think the people that get pissed are a bit self-selecting.  My brother's a Marine, and could give a shit.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#31]
There are some idiots around here.
That's truly scary.

So what, if someone who never entered the services want's to wear a uniform. As long as they don't go around pretending to be a veteran, who cares!
It's just like everything else that is worn by teenagers and adults. If it has some cachet, people will buy it.
Are you so shallow as to judge a person by what he/she wears?

So all of you Dale Jarrett, HK, NY Yankee..... hat wearers put them away.
Because you never drove above 55mph nor shot an HK and are probably a sunshine Yankee fan to boot.

Get a life, worry about something else!

Wear whatever you like.
Just don't pretend you're a Marine.

I think it looks a little silly to wear the whole uniform around town unless you're on duty.
Even though I'm sure for many on this board it'll be a step up in their wardrobe.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#32]
The camo shorts are great for outdoors activities here (florida) in summer. Lots of pockets to store your crap, comfortable, and don't show dirt well. I go through a couple pair of rip stop shorts each summer just from wear and tear.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course.

View Quote
Well hell, I will have to agree with that. I would never spend a lot of bucks for the BDU, but if it came on the market cheap, and easy to get, well I would get some then.
View Quote

Exactly.
And when they do arrive cheap on the market, they will by then be common.  No longer as cherished by Marines for their "specialness".
No one will care then.

Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds to me, that Marines are trying to imitate Canadian soldiers. They developed digital camo in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course.

View Quote
Well hell, I will have to agree with that. I would never spend a lot of bucks for the BDU, but if it came on the market cheap, and easy to get, well I would get some then.
View Quote

Exactly.
And when they do arrive cheap on the market, they will by then be common.  No longer as cherished by Marines for their "specialness".
No one will care then.

View Quote
OK, semper fi, can I say that I was never a marine ?????
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Marines wore woodland camoflage for how long?  Who came up with that camoflage pattern? One thing I know, whoever it was SHARED!  It only makes sense to me that if something could SAVE LIVES, to let everyone have it, right?  But no, the marines, being the assholes they are, now consider their damn camo as being sacrid to the Corps, and nobody else is "worthy" to wear it. F*uck them.

BTW, I'm Army, currently deployed for Iraqi Freedom, and have trained with several marines, most of which were assholes.  I also have trained with Navy Seals, who, unlike the marines, had no chip on their shoulder, since they had nothing to prove.

Freak

View Quote

Freak, I'm going to overlook the "F*uck them" remark.  And I'll ask the mods to overlook it too.

You are right.  The technology was shared.  The Canadians developed CADPAT.  The Marine Corps embraced the technology, but wanted a distinctive uniform to distinguish a Marine from any other branch of service.  The Corps integrated the Marine Corps Emblem into the cammo pattern as a means to achieve that distinction and MARPAT was created.  If the Army, or any other branch of the military, has the desire to use CADPAT as a basis for a new uniform I'm sure they will be granted the same latitude given to the Marines.  I don't think it would be too hard to incorporate the US Army emblem into a CADPAT derived cammo pattern.  It would appear that the Army brass has not deemed it necessary to do so at this time.  However the Army brass has deemed it necessary to hand the most visible symbol of a Ranger to every swinging dick and bouncing boob in the Army, in order to make them feel special too.  I also remember the Rangers raising quite a fuss over having to hand over their hard earned symbol to those who have not earned it.  I think the Rangers were justified to bitch about it.  Marines have a justified bitch with MARPAT as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Man you guys shoulda seen all those "wannabes" at the Vietnam Vets Memorial dedication wearing pea coats marine corps covers green berets and camoflauge fatigue hats, coats, trousers..even a former Marine staff sargent a vet of Khe San wearing his dress blues over his blue jeans...course that silver star kinda set off his ensemble that and his pony tail and harley..
Me I just wore my old OD Jungle fatigue jacket with my CIB and CMB glad no one was around to call me names I mighta got my feelings hurt..
Bwahahahahaha
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Maybe[:)]

Just don't try to sound all rugged when you say it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sounds to me, that Marines are trying to imitate Canadian soldiers. They developed digital camo in the first place.
View Quote

I know, here we are, arguing about a camo pattern that was ripped off from the cannucks, because they had licensed it. All this false pride in something that was copied.

I found this out when I was looking to see the EGA imbedded in the camo pattern.

Yep, something to be proud of, and take offense over....
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe[:)]

Just don't try to sound all rugged when you say it.
View Quote
Good one guy [:D]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Man you guys shoulda seen all those "wannabes" at the Vietnam Vets Memorial dedication wearing pea coats marine corps covers green berets and camoflauge fatigue hats, coats, trousers..even a former Marine staff sargent a vet of Khe San wearing his dress blues over his blue jeans...course that silver star kinda set off his ensemble that and his pony tail and harley..
Me I just wore my old OD Jungle fatigue jacket with my CIB and CMB glad no one was around to call me names I mighta got my feelings hurt..
Bwahahahahaha
View Quote

...and you and they rated it.

Remember when the Army gave everyone the Ranger Beret?
If you recall, ALL of the Marines on this board came down on the side of the Rangers.  WE knew that what it was, was a degradation of STANDARDS.  Consistancy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Equally irritating is the number of people on a typical street who dare to wear baseball caps with embroidered team emblems.  These people look like idiot wanna-bes playing dress-up.  Why are they pretending to be professional MLB players?  

I haven't been to a professional sporting event in years without seeing stands filled with people wearing team jerseys.  Some even have numbers, and names on them.  Who are these people trying to fool?  “Everyone” knows that the players are on the ice, or on the field, and not cheering in the stands!  These people are really advertising their geekiness.  Some people wear these clothes on the street!  Not fooling anyone with that “Jordan” jersey, folks.

Did you know that it is possible to buy a university sweatshirt without proof of attendance?  Yes, it is true.  Why isn’t there a greater outrage?

Once, while in a 2nd hand store here in CO, I saw a shirt with writing that said “Los Angeles.”  Can you believe that?  Is the purchaser trying to pull a fast one?

I can barely resist the urge to type in a large attention-grabbing font.

IMHO
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow! This is starting to get as good as reading one of those religion/abortion threads!

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I would like some BDUs in the old WWII Marine design, wouldn't that be cool. [8D]

Link Posted: 4/3/2003 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#45]
How about a person who wears a Marine cover without the EGA on it is this wrong? Just asking!

P.S. I have all the respect in the world for all those who served and who have made this county what it is today.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#46]
...yeah, those camo wearing wannabees are just like those guys at my range that think they are in the military shooting those black ar-47's, or whatever you call them. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, well maybe I ought to be clear so that there's no misunderstanding:  I also have immense respect for all who serve our country, and don't want a thread about clothing to confuse the expression of that sentiment.
Sincerely,
IMHO
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The thing that many don't realize, is that the MARPAT uniform is not just a set of BDUs.
For now, they're special.
View Quote

Ding Ding Ding!!!!

Now we are getting somewhere!! Thats the problem. Marines think they are special!!
When in REALITY they are no better or worse than any other service member (thats a fact son). Other service members have a E or an O paygrade just like you. If a non-Marine wears MARPAT and you no longer "feel special" Gee ain't that just too bad. Get over it and be proud for what you do and not what kind of dress you wear.

Press on son!! Suck it up!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh, f*** it, if a marine can't rely on his training and the rep of the marines to be proud, if he needs a special pair of shirt and pants to "feel" the pride I say let him have it.
View Quote
You missed the point.  It's not about a Marine needing a uniform to feel proud, it's about someone who hasn't earned the pride wearing the uniform.  MARPAT IS A UNIFORM, just like the dress blues.  It is a uniform for work and dress blues are the uniform for...........dress up occasions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would like some BDUs in the old WWII Marine design, wouldn't that be cool. [8D]

View Quote

Ah...Herringbones...the most coveted of utility uniforms..
My best bud & business partner of many years is a United States Marine NCO a veteran of Con Tien 67-68 (If you know your corps history you know what that means)
A Picture of the base plate,tube & Pit of his 4 duece is on display at the pentagon a great big picture of it..it says "Jim Beam" on it..there is a hole in it where a Chinese 105 (lend lease) HE round impacted and didnt detonate..I have met some of the guys that were on that tube and heard tales of arty duels between them and the Chinese in the hills ..corraborated tales..truly amazing stuff..
Now my buddy covets his herringbone cover..he is pretty clean looking these days but it wasnt all that long ago he looked like one of those ZZ Top dudes...that cover means a lot to him...I seriously doubt you could make him part with it or take it off...only one guy ever has ...a federal judge...in his court room...lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top