Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/31/2005 7:17:17 PM EDT
Okay guys, Im thinking about getting a Guard Dog/Family Dog, We already have a PUG, he's not much of a Guard Dog though... Any opinions? Im thinking Doberman, Malinou or American BullDog..
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:18:58 PM EDT
any "kick me" breed of small yapping dog which will alert you and scare off burglars

an attack dog (AST, pitbull, chow, doberman, rot) is asking for trouble, they see small children as food
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:19:00 PM EDT

No better friend, no worse enemy!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:19:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ixy:
any "kick me" breed of small yapping dog which will alert you and scare off burglars

an attack dog (AST, pitbull, chow, doberman, rot) is asking for trouble, they see small children as food

You obviously know nothing about said breeds.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:20:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

more than you think
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:20:40 PM EDT
I would say german shep or Belgium Malimar (spelling??) very loyal very smart.

But really any of the working dogs are good I am just partial to shepards, they are outstanding dogs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:20:57 PM EDT
Gorillas and tarantulas!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:21:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 7:25:20 PM EDT by Leisure_Shoot]
What kind of children are in the house, if any?

Seriously, a small, yappy dog will be great with children, and will be one hell of a hyperactive barker if anyone comes near the property.
It probably won't accomplish any sort of physical protection, however, if that is your desire.

This is my lab/shepherd (maybe some rotty) mix. Don't be fooled by the illusion that he is small. That is a queen sized bed he is laying on. He is great with kids, and ferocious around strangers.

But he is not the alert one. Our Dachshund is the one who gets him crazy with barking when there is an unusual sound.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:21:38 PM EDT
I thought about the small barkers, but they won't do me any good if im not at home.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:22:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

Seriously, a small, yappy dog will be great with children, and will be one hell of a hyperactive barker if anyone comes near the property.
It probably won't accomplish any sort of physical protection, however, if that is your desire.

11 yr old daughter
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 7:32:35 PM EDT by Cavu]
I am a die hard American Bulldog lover. I can't say enough about that breed. Great family dog, protective, low maintenance, and just about indestructable.

Here she is on child duty. The dog always keeps an eye on the kids and is never more than a few feet away from them when they are outside. I would pity the poor sap that tried to get to my girls.

Cavu

ETA: Oh, I don't have to worry about my Bulldog eating my kids, I feed her the neighbor's children. Just thought I would throw that in for all the Bull breed haters that will be along to inform you that you might as well just shoot your family before you get one of those "killer" dogs. Oh, I see they have already showed up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:24:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 7:25:18 PM EDT by protozo1]
I've got great danes. The insurance companies don't get their underwear in a twist over them like some other breeds (rots, shepards, pits,:all great breeds with bad advertising). The great danes I have are excellent friends and will not tolerate unwanted guests. One's 150 #s and the other is 190#'s and I can tell you even people who know us don't come in the house without supervision.

PS Vet bills are triple per dog because of size and they don't live as long as some breeds.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:25:30 PM EDT
Dobermans are a noble breed, very loyal and protective dogs
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:25:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:26:58 PM EDT

more than you think

Doubt it.....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:27:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BillC:

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

11 yr old daughter

Mine is a clumsy-assed SOB. What I mean by that is he tramples the unsuspecting. He is absolutely well tempered around kids, but he almost always hurts them by scratching or knocking them down (inadvertantly).
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:27:34 PM EDT
German shepherd dogs or Belgian Malinois. I did animal rescue for years specializing in these 2 breeds. If you need any info, IM me and I can put you in touch with some rescue groups or breeders.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:31:56 PM EDT
A monkey with a gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:32:13 PM EDT

more than you think

Doubt it.....

that is your opinion, and you are entitled to it

I have seen with my own eyes what these breeds do to small children, it is not pretty,
most of these breeds are not trained or socialized to small chidlren, adults yes, children no
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:34:08 PM EDT
well if your looking for a breed the scares people, go for a husky, i cant tell you how many people think he is a wolf

outside of that i say go with a wolf hybred as they have incredidably strong jaws and are fiercly protective of the pack

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:34:39 PM EDT

more than you think

Doubt it.....

I have seen with my own eyes what these breeds do to small children, it is not pretty,
most of these breeds are not trained or socialized to small chidlren, adults yes, children no

You don't train or socialize a breed. You train and socialize a dog. APBT'S are EXCELLENT with kids when trained and socialized well, and STILL make horrible guard dogs. You very obviously don't know fuck all about the breeds. Stop trying to give advice about subjects that you have no business doing so in.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:36:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By m4hk33:
well if your looking for a breed the scares people, go for a husky, i cant tell you how many people think he is a wolf

outside of that i say go with a wolf hybred as they have incredidably strong jaws and are fiercly protective of the pack

For a home guard dog you want something territorial first. Male GSD's fit this role to a T. Bitches tend to be more protective of a pack first, den second. It's a trade off though. What is greater, the chance your dog will see your kids playing with friends and perceive it as a threat and bite, or the chance your dog will see someone trying to come in the yard that's ok to be there and perceive them as a threat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:37:16 PM EDT
Ultimate dog for home protection........pit bull hands down, you can say what you like, but when someone see's a pit they know he means business

I'm not a big fan of them either, except to use as a catch dog for hogs......but I can say that they instill fear in the hearts of all......
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:37:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

more than you think

Doubt it.....

You don't train or socialize a breed. You train and socialize a dog. APBT'S are EXCELLENT with kids when trained and socialized well, and STILL make horrible guard dogs. You very obviously don't know fuck all about the breeds. Stop trying to give advice about subjects that you have no business doing so in.

must've struck a nerve
ok will do
however, this I do know, APBT & ASTs do a fine job of ripping the faces off of the small children they are suppose to be protecting

perhaps you should take your own advice, or at least calm down, take a stress pill and think things over
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:42:24 PM EDT

more than you think

Doubt it.....

must've struck a nerve
ok will do
however, this I do know, APBT & ASTs do a fine job of ripping the faces off of the small children they are suppose to be protecting

Prove it.

If so, its the owners fault, not the dog.

ANY owner who lets ANY dog UNSUPERVISED with ANY kid is asking for trouble.

Oh, and:

Bloodthirsty rotties eating kids...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:45:49 PM EDT

more than you think

Doubt it.....

must've struck a nerve
ok will do

perhaps you should take your own advice, or at least calm down, take a stress pill and think things over

NO, improperly socialized and trained dogs of all breeds do. The lab breeds are responsible for hospitializing more children than pits. Your as bad as a gun grabber. Spouting shit without knowing what the hell your talking about.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:46:01 PM EDT
A pit bull hopped up on meth!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:46:03 PM EDT
Rottweiler
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:52:55 PM EDT
I have a well armed GSD. Haven't had a break-in yet

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:53:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sydney7629:

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/96718500.jpg

Gorgeous dog, American of German?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:53:58 PM EDT

more than you think

Doubt it.....

I am sorry but I have to step in and say that the above is a load of crap. ixy, I don't doubt what you have seen, but to say this, "most of these breeds are not trained or socialized to small chidlren, adults yes, children no.", is just pure and utter nonsense. Are you a dog expert? Have you had any first hand experience in raising or training these dogs? Or are you just putting forth your opinion because you have seen the damage these dogs can do? Because if it is just the latter, then you have absolutely no credible way to make a statement that these breeds are not socialized to small children.

The fact of the matter is all research done to date (that I can find) shows that there is no breed that is more inclined to bite than any other. The problem lies in the fact that the bull breeds can inflict great damage when they do bite. This is why you should chose a dog from a reputable breeder and not some friend of a friend who thought it would be neat to cross his red nosed pit with his buddies Staffordshire.

There is a responsibility of being a dog owner and that responsibility is even more important as a Bully Breed owner. You must take the time to properly obedience train your dog and socialize your dog. You must also be vigilant when you have guests over that the dog is not familiar with. Dogs are driven by instincts. A dog views humans of the family as members of the pack. The dog will strive to do nothing but please those that are ABOVE it in the pack hierarchy. When you have a dog, any dog, and have kids in the house, you must be sure that the dog understands exactly what position it has in the pack.

If you invest the time and train your Bulldog well, you will be rewarded with a life long friend and family protector that no other breed can match.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:02:23 PM EDT

]NO, improperly socialized and trained dogs of all breeds do. The lab breeds are responsible for hospitializing more children than pits. Your as bad as a gun grabber. Spouting shit without knowing what the hell your talking about.

no, a firearm is an inanimate object, devoid of free will

a dog is not
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:04:23 PM EDT

]NO, improperly socialized and trained dogs of all breeds do. The lab breeds are responsible for hospitializing more children than pits. Your as bad as a gun grabber. Spouting shit without knowing what the hell your talking about.

a dog is not

That makes the inaccuracies your spewing better in what way?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:07:38 PM EDT
First, you can look up information on all kinds of breeds at www.dogbreedinfo.com

I researched a lot of them. For a family/guard dog that was seriously good at both, the best choices for me came down to Shiloh Shepherd or Black Russian Terrier. I would vote for the German Shepherd but I wanted something bigger than the standard GSD and I had real questions about the health of many of them I found.

A Shiloh Shepherd is a well-bred German Shepherd times two. The GSD breed standard tops out at 90 pounds. Shiloh males start at 120 pounds. Mine is 160 pounds.

The Black Russian Terrier is the breed the Russians created when they realized they didn't have any dogs for use as guard dogs. BRTs top out at 120 pounds.

Both breeds are noted for very good family characteristics. My Shiloh will literally let a two-year-old lead him around by the collar. BRTs are supposed to be excellent family dogs, as well. Both breeds are extremely intelligent. My Shiloh has picked up a lot of new commands with only one training session. Very obedient. Both breeds are noted for being very attentive. They will sit around watching you, just waiting for you to give them a command. Very attached to people. If you have kids, you want a dog that is very attached to the people in the family.

Both breeds also have general good health. (There are bad breeders around anywhere, though) both can be expected to live more than ten years.

Both are noted for good protective qualities. For a Shiloh, imagine a pissed off German Shepherd that weighs as much as the average man. My Shiloh is very mild tempered generally, but still hugely protective. Don't come up behind me, don't run at me, don't corner me in a room, if I let you into the living room, don't try to go down the hall, etc. Let me assure you that a GSD that big can be scary.

BRTs were trained to have a very specific defensive tactic. They are jet black, so they can't be seen at night. They don't bark much. They will let the person approach to a certain point and then charge them head on, hit them square in the chest, knock them down and stand over them until their master arrives. I imagine that would be a scary experience if it happened to you.

You can see some info on my Shiloh at www.druglibrary.org/chopper My breeder (whom I can recommend) is Majestic Knights Shilohs. There is another litter from the same mother in the works right now.

If you get a dog that is larger than average, look carefully at health issues. Lots of big dogs live ten years or less on average and I can't tell you how many people I have met with big German Shepherds who said they had to put their dogs down at five years or so because of hip problems. A good breeder should be able to show you the health records, including hip tests, on the parents, as well as the other pups from previous litters.

My Shiloh at about one year old and 110 pounds. Still fairly small.

My Shiloh at about one year old - obviously comfortable with kids

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:15:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cavu:

I am sorry but I have to step in and say that the above is a load of crap. ixy, I don't doubt what you have seen, but to say this, "most of these breeds are not trained or socialized to small chidlren, adults yes, children no.", is just pure and utter nonsense. Are you a dog expert? Have you had any first hand experience in raising or training these dogs? Or are you just putting forth your opinion because you have seen the damage these dogs can do? Because if it is just the latter, then you have absolutely no credible way to make a statement that these breeds are not socialized to small children.

The fact of the matter is all research done to date (that I can find) shows that there is no breed that is more inclined to bite than any other. The problem lies in the fact that the bull breeds can inflict great damage when they do bite. This is why you should chose a dog from a reputable breeder and not some friend of a friend who thought it would be neat to cross his red nosed pit with his buddies Staffordshire.

There is a responsibility of being a dog owner and that responsibility is even more important as a Bully Breed owner. You must take the time to properly obedience train your dog and socialize your dog. You must also be vigilant when you have guests over that the dog is not familiar with. Dogs are driven by instincts. A dog views humans of the family as members of the pack. The dog will strive to do nothing but please those that are ABOVE it in the pack hierarchy. When you have a dog, any dog, and have kids in the house, you must be sure that the dog understands exactly what position it has in the pack.

If you invest the time and train your Bulldog well, you will be rewarded with a life long friend and family protector that no other breed can match.

true, I have seen some horrible things

APBT and AST came from baiting and fighting dogs, the popularity of dog fighting from the mid 1800s on, ensured selective breeding of agressive dogs.

The APBT and AST are also recognized as being late to mature, with latent agressiveness not becoming apparent until 7 months or older.

The dominant disposition of the breed also requires, CONSTANT SUPERVISION, especially around children

The genetic predisposition to attack, combined with the strength and agility inherent in the breed results in a potentially devestating animal that requires constant supervision.

so the argument that, they are great family dogs, as long as I never let it out my sight, negates any benefit I can see.

I do not support the banning of the breed or confiscation or destruction
however,
whenever I see one on the street, I put my hand on my pistol, until they leave, for I do not trust the breeds or their owners
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:16:57 PM EDT

true, I have seen some horrible things

APBT and AST came from baiting and fighting dogs, the popularity of dog fighting from the mid 1800s on, ensured selective breeding of agressive dogs.

The APBT and AST are also recognized as being late to mature, with latent agressiveness not becoming apparent until 7 months or older.

The dominant disposition of the breed also requires, CONSTANT SUPERVISION, especially around children

The genetic predisposition to attack, combined with the strength and agility inherent in the breed results in a potentially devestating animal that requires constant supervision.

so the argument that, they are great family dogs, as long as I never let it out my sight, negates any benefit I can see.

I do not support the banning of the breed or confiscation or destruction
however,
whenever I see one on the street, I put my hand on my pistol, until they leave, for I do not trust the breeds or their owners

Little hint. It is a scientifically recognized fact that animal aggression and people aggression are two totally different traits in animals. Again, your spouting stuff that is inaccurate and makes you look bad.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:18:18 PM EDT

a dog is not

ixy, click on this link Reliability with Children and check out the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bull Dog, or any of the other "killer" breeds and then get back to us. Of course we could just all say that the folks that run the site don't know squat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:19:19 PM EDT

a dog is not

my point is that you only have the illusion of control over a deadly thing

and

Statistically, APBT are responsible for more fatal dog attacks than any other breed
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:22:56 PM EDT

a dog is not

and

Statistically, APBT are responsible for more fatal dog attacks than any other breed

Statisically labs are responsible for more hospitial visits than anyother breed. You get a bunch of dumbasses with dogs that don't know shit about them and train them to be human aggressive and you get bad results. Mix that with people that don't give a shit about the breed and think it fit's their cool "thug" lifestyle and you get some bad shit. And just like guns, when stupid people get ahold of them, the dog, or gun, that's not at fault is what's demonized. No matter how improper the training, you can't fault a dog for following it's training.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:23:02 PM EDT
+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:23:26 PM EDT

a dog is not

ixy, click on this link Reliability with Children and check out the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bull Dog, or any of the other "killer" breeds and then get back to us. Of course we could just all say that the folks that run the site don't know squat.

always consider the source
this looks like a mom and pop gateway for advertising
all about dog breed info
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:25:46 PM EDT

a dog is not

and

Statisically labs are responsible for more hospitial visits than anyother breed. You get a bunch of dumbasses with dogs that don't know shit about them and train them to be human aggressive and you get bad results. Mix that with people that don't give a shit about the breed and think it fit's their cool "thug" lifestyle and you get some bad shit. And just like guns, when stupid people get ahold of them, the dog, or gun, that's not at fault is what's demonized. No matter how improper the training, you can't fault a dog for following it's training.

prolly b/c there are more labs in the US

and

my firearms all have a safety
your dog doesn't
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:31:53 PM EDT

a dog is not

and

Its the LACK of training dusty.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:32:47 PM EDT

a dog is not

and

and

your dog doesn't

My dogs are smarter than you apparently, they don't need safeties. They are all very well trained and if a child gets ahold of my dogs they will not bite it to protect themselves no matter how bad the child hurts them, god forbid a child gets ahold of one of my firearms it can't stop itself.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:34:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:

a dog is not

and

I'm talking about our ghetto friends intentionally training them to be human aggressive.

www.showstopperkennelsga.com/ the "training" videos here are a good example.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:35:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:38:27 PM EDT

a dog is not

and

and

your dog doesn't

My dogs are smarter than you apparently, they don't need safeties. They are all very well trained and if a child gets ahold of my dogs they will not bite it to protect themselves no matter how bad the child hurts them, god forbid a child gets ahold of one of my firearms it can't stop itself.

gambling with the life of your child

a child can be educated (Eddie Eagle)
one can only hope that a dog is trained

so you have small children, a large dog and firearms in the open without locks?

you sound like a very responsible parent
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:38:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wolfpack:

Originally Posted By sydney7629:

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/96718500.jpg

Wait a few years until he is crippled with bad hips and gets cancer...every GS does. Beautiful dog, they just don't last.

Go people don't know fuck all about dogs. GSD's do have a higher rate of displaysia than some other dogs yes. This is due to backyard breeders. NOT every GSD gets them. No where near it. Good breeders give you certified and guaranteed hips and shoulders on your dogs and have x-rays of AT LEAST the previous 4 generations of it's lines to back it up. Responsible breeders do not breed ANY dog of ANY breed with bad hips or shoulders.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:39:46 PM EDT

[ SNIP

gambling with the life of your child

a child can be educated (Eddie Eagle)
one can only hope that a dog is trained

so you have small children, a large dog and firearms in the open without locks?

you sound like a very responsible parent

Your making a lot of assumptions in a failed attempt at taking the spotlight off your ignorance.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:40:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:

a dog is not

and

I'm talking about our ghetto friends intentionally training them to be human aggressive.

www.showstopperkennelsga.com/ the "training" videos here are a good example.

I know i see it every day. Chaining a dog up in a backyard with no food,water and shelter tends to make them mean.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:40:42 PM EDT
what about dobermans and the occurances of small craniums (due to selective breeding) leading to intractable pain and agression?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top