Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/11/2002 5:44:17 PM EST
This is probably a simple question, but, I'd like more 'proof' before confronting a dealer that they are wrong. Info: Original permit obtained back in March 1997. Renewed this year 2002... exp date 2007. Since my original was obtained back in 97, I was 'grandfathered' and did not need the 'phonecall back ground check'. I've delt w/ this dealer a few tiems, but not since my renewal. I was informed that I have a 5 day waiting perido for my pistol?! WTF?! They were spouting some BS saying that since I renewed, my grandfathered status was gone. I assumed that 'granfathered status' only means I have a phone call, but as soon as it clears, it's okay to take the pistol. I thought that's the point of having a Carry permit in WA was so that you didn't have the 5 day waiting!! They were spouting some BS saying that since it was renewed, the 'new issue' permits have a 5 day wait. Here's the kicker..... I called the Sherrif office and told them. They're saying that my 'renewed' permit is still concidered 'grandfathered'? (SAY WHAT?) Any how, they confired what I thought.... if you have a permit you can walk out w/ your weopon. But the lady I was talking to on the phone said that 'new issued permits' (ie issued this year, had a wait?) I'm really confused now........ Does any one know what the real truth w/ the permit.... any web site...(haven't looked yet).... Thanks.... Kaliburz...the ticked.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:59:43 PM EST
Your original permit was "good", your renewed (new) permit is "evil". I had the same experience. I assume and expect that this is true since two of my dealers explained the same thing to me. Why would they jerk me around since I've been a customer of theirs for a LONG time. Strength and Honor...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:11:16 PM EST
[url]http://www.dol.wa.gov/ppu/firchart.htm[/url] I found this!!! I was right! Even though my permit was 'renewed' after 1998, all they had to do was make the NICS phone call. If it was cleared, off I go w/ my pistol!!! WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THIS DEALER....? They pissed I spent 640 outside of my town? Transfers are only $10.00.... while all else is $20 or $25. (My buddy is on vacation..... and I really didn't want him to know I bought this...)
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:18:20 PM EST
My understanding of the regs. was that if you had a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) that was issued before 11/30/1998, then that license is indeed "grandfathered" and you can walk out of the store with your purchase the same day WITHOUT the store calling for a NCIC background check. After the five-year year issue date (and after you renew) the license holder should be able take their purchase home WITHOUT the waiting period BUT pending a NCIC background check. Can someone confirm or deny? Kaliburz, where were you shopping?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:19:25 PM EST
Hey, that's pretty cool -- the DOL site links to www.packing.org for further information.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:29:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By Pave962: My understanding of the regs. was that if you had a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) that was issued before 11/30/1998, then that license is indeed "grandfathered" and you can walk out of the store with your purchase the same day WITHOUT the store calling for a NCIC background check. After the five-year year issue date (and after you renew) the license holder should be able take their purchase home WITHOUT the waiting period BUT pending a NCIC background check. Can someone confirm or deny? Kaliburz, where were you shopping?
View Quote
That's what I thought exactly. Before 11/30/1998, ya walk out w/ out the NCIC check. But permits after that date, you need a NCIC check and if you are cleared, off you go w/ your stuff..... To be fair (mighthave been a grave misunderstanding), all I shall say is, the dealer is located in Yakima County (central WA). I'm not going to name names since this dealer is fair....I've transfered 2 other 'firearms' before this one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:18:21 PM EST
I printed out that list for the WA permit info. Bascially, it's a table that lists what an FFL has to do w/ the different issue dated permits. Mine clearly falls under only needing the 'phone call'... no waiting perido. Plus I have the info from the local Sherriff....maybe I'll go ask them to double check again.... I'll be polite. Any other takes on my situation? Or did the law change over night?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:49:23 PM EST
I had a WA permit a long time ago (early 90s), does anyone know if it's going to be a pain to renew? Or will it just be treated like a new application? TIA.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:05:35 PM EST
I just renewed my CPL also and only had to do the NICS check thing for a handgun transfer. I did buy another handgun using the 5 day wait method, but that was because my CPL was at the cop shop for the 10 day renewal wait. pdxshooter, it appears that after 90 days of expiration you just have to get a "new" license.
[i]When can I renew my CPL?[/i] You may renew your CPL within 90 days before or after the expiration date of the current license. If you wait until after your license expires, it is considered a late renewal, and a $10.00 late penalty is assessed. If you wait beyond the 90 days after, your license expires, You cannot renew the license, and you must apply for a new license from: [url]http://www.dol.wa.gov/ppu/firfaq.htm[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:10:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By JAFO:... pdxshooter, it appears that after 90 days of expiration you just have to get a "new" license.
[i]When can I renew my CPL?[/i] You may renew your CPL within 90 days before or after the expiration date of the current license. If you wait until after your license expires, it is considered a late renewal, and a $10.00 late penalty is assessed. If you wait beyond the 90 days after, your license expires, You cannot renew the license, and you must apply for a new license from: [url]http://www.dol.wa.gov/ppu/firfaq.htm[/url]
View Quote
View Quote
JAFO: Thanks. It appears I'm [i]slightly[/i] outside the ninety day period... [:)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:25:28 PM EST
I got my CPL in November '01, and have purchased handguns since. I have had to submit to the NICS check, but walked out the door with my pistol the same day. Check out the yahoo email group wa-ccw [url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-ccw/[/url] This is probably the best source of information on the Washington State CPL process. Cheers, Chris
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:43:40 PM EST
You need to get yourself a copy of Dave Workman's book "Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities". It's $9.95 at the finer gun stores or directly from Dave himself. [url]http://www.defensetactics.com/washington_gun_rights.htm[/url] [img]http://www.defensetactics.com/wa_gun_rights.gif[/img] If your CLP is dated after Nov 30 1998 you still have to do a NCIS check, the 5 day handgun wait is waived.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:48:23 PM EST
USNJoe is right. The author Dave Workman is a regular contributer on the WA-CCW email list. I still need to order my autographed copy. ;-) Cheers, Chris
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:50:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/12/2002 4:51:56 AM EST by Kaliburz]
I'm on the that e-mail list. (I think it's that one..) Any how, I figured that guy was giving me some BS, but now that I have proof off the web site, more people that agree (and none that have stated it's changed) and most importantly, the local Sheriff's office said that I shouldn't be waiting. I'll have to look up that book....
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:55:08 PM EST
Figure I'd update this.... I didn't push the issue. I waited and they called. I'm guessing that instead of calling to do a Fed background check, they just had the local Sheriff's office do it. I filled out the State pistol form when I went originally, then when I went back, all I did was the 4473 and walked out. I noticed some papers w/ my 'pile/file' that were marked from the local Sheriff's office. Go figure.... I know I should have still walked out w/ the day I originally went for it.
Top Top