* 610 - Heraclius arrives by ship from Africa at Constantinople, overthrows Byzantine Emperor Phocas and becomes Emperor.
* 1535 - The first complete English-language Bible is printed, with translations by William Tyndale and Miles Coverdale.
* 1582 - Pope Gregory XIII implements the Gregorian Calendar. In Italy, Poland, Portugal, and Spain October 4 of this year is followed directly by October 15.
* 1777 - Battle of Germantown: Troops under George Washington are repelled by British troops under Sir William Howe
* 1824 - Mexico adopts a new constitution and becomes a federal republic.
* 1830 - Creation of the state of Belgium after separation from The Netherlands
* 1883 - First run of the Orient Express.
* 1883 - First meeting of the Boys' Brigade in Glasgow, Scotland.
* 1895 - The first U.S. Open Mens' Golf Championship run by the United States Golf Association was played on a nine-hole course in Newport, Rhode Island.
* 1957 - Launch of Sputnik I, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth.
* 1958 - Fifth Republic of France established.
* 1960 - An Eastern Airlines Lockheed L-188 Electra flying from Boston crashes, killing 62 people after a bird strike.
* 1966 - Basutoland becomes independent from the United Kingdom and is renamed Lesotho.
* 1983 - Hooters restaurant first opened in Clearwater, Florida, United States.
* 1983 - Richard Noble sets a new land speed record of 633.468 mph, driving Thrust 2 at the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, United States.
* 1988 - U.S. televangelist Jim Bakker indicted for fraud.
* 1991 - The Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty was opened for signature.
* 1992 - An El Al Boeing 747-200F crashes into two apartment buildings in Amsterdam, killing 43 including 38 on the ground. See Bijlmerramp
* 1993 - Doom press-release version is made available to journalists for review.
* 1993 - Russian constitutional crisis of 1993: Russian President Boris Yeltsin orders tanks to storm the Russian parliament building.
* 1998 - Leafie Mason of Hughes Springs, Texas, is murdered by Ángel Maturino Reséndiz. She is the serial killer's second victim in his second incident.
* 2001 - A Sibir Airlines Tupolev TU-154 crashes into the Black Sea after being struck by an errant Ukrainian S-200 missile. 78 people are killed.
* 2003 - Maxim restaurant suicide bombing in Haifa, Israel: 21 Israelis, Jews and Arabs, were killed, and 51 others were wounded.
* 2004 - SpaceShipOne wins Ansari X Prize for private spaceflight
other people who have the same BD
* 1289 - King Louis X of France (d. 1316)
* 1379 - King Henry III of Castile (d. 1406)
* 1515 - Lucas Cranach the Younger, German painter (d. 1586)
* 1542 - Robert Bellarmine, Italian saint (b. 1621)
* 1550 - King Charles IX of Sweden (d. 1611)
* 1562 - Christian Sørensen Longomontanus, Danish astronomer (d. 1647)
* 1570 - Peter Pazmany, Hungarian cardinal and statesman (d. 1637)
* 1625 - Jacqueline Pascal, French child prodigy and sister of Blaise Pascal (d. 1661)
* 1626 - Richard Cromwell, Lord Protector of England, Scotland, and Ireland (d. 1712)
* 1687 - Robert Simson, Scottish mathematician (d. 1768)
* 1814 - Jean-François Millet, French painter (d. 1875)
* 1822 - Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States (d. 1893)
* 1858 - Michael Pupin, Serbian-born telephone pioneer and author (d. 1935)
* 1861 - Frederic Remington, painter (d. 1909)
* 1862 - Edward Stratemeyer, American author (d. 1930)
* 1877 - Razor Smith, English cricketer (d. 1946)
* 1880 - Damon Runyon, writer (d. 1946)
* 1881 - Walther von Brauchitsch, German Commander-in-Chief (d. 1948)
* 1892 - Engelbert Dollfuss, Austrian politician (d. 1934)
* 1895 - Buster Keaton, American comedian, actor (d. 1966)
* 1903 - John Vincent Atanasoff, American computer pioneer (d. 1995)
* 1903 - Ernst Kaltenbrunner, German military officer (d. 1946)
* 1914 - Jim Cairns, Australian politician (d. 2003)
* 1916 - Vitaly Ginzburg, Russian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
* 1924 - Charlton Heston, American actor
* 1928 - Alvin Toffler, American author
* 1938 - Kurt Wüthrich, Swiss chemist, Nobel Prize laureate
* 1941 - Anne Rice, American writer
* 1942 - Karl W. Richter, American Aviator
* 1943 - H. Rap Brown, American civil rights activist
* 1946 - Susan Sarandon, American actress
* 1947 - Ann Widdecombe, British politician
* 1949 - Armand Assante, American actor
* 1953 - Tchéky Karyo, Turkish-born actor
* 1959 - Tony Meo, English snooker player
* 1960 - Afrika Bambaataa, American musician
* 1961 - Jon Secada, Cuban-born singer
* 1961 - Kazuki Takahashi, Japanese author and artist
* 1963 - A.C. Green, basketball star
* 1967 - Liev Schreiber, American actor
* 1967 - Marcus Bentley, British voice actor
* 1976 - Alicia Silverstone, American actress
* 1979 - Rachael Leigh Cook, American actress
* 1980 - Me'Lisa Barber, American track and field sprint athlete
* 1980 - Sarah Fisher, American race car driver
* 1984 - Lena, Russian musician (t.A.T.u.)
* 1226 - Saint Francis of Assisi (b. 1181)
* 1250 - Herman VI, Margrave of Baden
* 1305 - Emperor Kameyama, emperor of Japan (b. 1249)
* 1542 - Robert Bellarmine, Italian saint (b. 1542)
* 1582 - Teresa of Avila, Spanish saint and poet (b. 1515)
* 1597 - Sarsa Dengel, Emperor of Ethiopia (b. 1550)
* 1646 - Thomas Howard, 21st Earl of Arundel, English statesman (b. 1586)
* 1660 - Francesco Albani, Italian painter (b. 1578)
* 1669 - Rembrandt, Dutch painter (b. 1606)
* 1680 - Pierre-Paul Riquet, French engineer and canal builder
* 1743 - John Campbell, 2nd Duke of Argyll, Scottish soldier (b. 1678)
* 1749 - Franz Freiherr von der Trenck, Austrian soldier (b. 1711)
* 1754 - Tanacharison, Catawba Indian chief
* 1785 - David Brearly, delegate to the U.S. Constitutional Convention (b. 1703)
* 1821 - John Rennie, Scottish engineer (b. 1761)
* 1851 - Manuel de Godoy, Spanish statesman (b. 1767)
* 1859 - Karl Baedeker, German author and publisher (b. 1801)
* 1880 - Jacques Offenbach, German-born composer (b. 1819)
* 1904 - Frédéric Bartholdi, French sculptor (b. 1834)
* 1935 - Jean Béraud, French painter (b. 1849)
* 1944 - Al Smith, Presidential candidate and Governor of New York (b. 1873)
* 1946 - Barney Oldfield, American automobile pioneer (b. 1878)
* 1947 - Max Planck, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1858)
* 1951 - Willie Moretti, American gangster (b. 1894)
* 1969 - Natalino Otto, Italian singer (b. 1912)
* 1970 - Janis Joplin, American singer (b. 1943)
* 1982 - Glenn Gould, Canadian pianist (b. 1932)
* 1989 - Graham Chapman, British comedian (b. 1941)
* 1989 - Secretariat, American race horse (b. 1970)
* 1997 - Gunpei Yokoi, Japanese game developer (b. 1941)
* 1999 - Erik Brødreskift, Black Metal Musician
* 2002 - Alphonse Chapanis, founder of ergonomics
* 2002 - Gwen Araujo, murdered in an act of transphobia
* 2003 - Sid McMath, Governor of Arkansas (b. 1912)
* 2004 - Gordon Cooper, astronaut (b. 1927)
* Roman festivals - Ieiunium Cereris (Fast of Ceres) (since 191 BC; that calendar date fell in late spring at that time).
* RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Francis of Assisi; also of Saint Amun, Saint Petronius of Bologna.
* Also see October 4 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
* Islam - tonight in 2005 Ramadan begins in some parts of the world.
* Australia - Labour Day of 2005 (ACT, NSW, & SA, 2004: first Monday of October).
* Lesotho - Independence Day (from Britain, 1966).
* World Animal Day
dude make sure your party spanks! and if you dont have one, then.....shit
happy bithday and 1 step closer to the grave
yeah I afaid this birthday is going to suck.
There really nothing cool about being 19.
I've got to still goto school, then goto work and do some luandry.
And I don't have any guns with me at school so I can't go out and celibrate.
2 years from now is going to be fun... lots of paperwork
Happy Birthday. I hope Mizzou is treating you well.
Congrats, your one day closer to death
Have a great day!
+10000 quit scaring the boy all you old farts!