Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/9/2013 12:49:21 AM EDT

DEA, IRS raid Denver-area marijuana businesses

"DENVER –  Federal agents raided an unknown number of marijuana dispensaries and growing sites on Thursday in Colorado, confiscating piles of marijuana plants and cartons of cannabis-infused drinks just weeks before the state allows sellers of recreational marijuana to open their doors.

DEA raiding marijuana dispensaries in Puget Sound region

The will of the people doesn't matter.  If you don't like a law, work hard to change it, and do!...it still doesn't matter because the government will do what they want anyway.

What's tyranny again?

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
One of these days local LEOs are going to stand up to this shit and it's going to get interesting.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
These guys were not operating in compliance with state law.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Color me surprised.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of these days local LEOs are going to stand up to this shit and it's going to get interesting.
View Quote

The locals are beholden to the Feds for tons of funding, that's not an accident.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:08:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

So local LE sent the Feds after them? Or do they get on the radar of the feds for not complying with State law?

ETA:

WAG, but, I assume they are moving weight and making lots of cash. Possibly selling to undercovers?

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
It's time to invoke the 10th Amendment and throw these fuckers in jail for not respecting state law
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Instead of just decriminalizing the plant, as they should have done, they will end up setting up MORE government to regulate it.  The bureaucratic apparatuses they are building for marijuana regulation are huge.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's time to invoke the 10th Amendment and throw these fuckers in jail for not respecting state law
View Quote

I agree.  It really doesn't matter what people's personal preferences are regarding the use of intoxicants, "the  people have spoken".

They voted and changed the law.  In Washington and Colorado marijuana isn't criminal.   The federal government is so far out of bounds here.  It's time someone checked them.  

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:20:27 AM EDT
[#9]
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.
View Quote

But, it's only a fucking peace of paper.  "The people" have spoken.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

The USC trumps laws the feds have no authority to pass in the first place. Granted nobody gives a shit about Article I, Section 8. The bureaucrats of have spoken.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But, it's only a fucking peace of paper.  "The people" have spoken
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But, it's only a fucking peace of paper.  "The people" have spoken

Where are the Feds granted the power they claim? They're the supreme law, in their VERY narrow lanes. They're so far outside that it's ludicrous.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The USC trumps laws the feds have no authority to pass in the first place. Granted nobody gives a shit about Article I, Section 8. The bureaucrats of have spoken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonmder if the USC considers the possibility for such a dispute, and declares how they are to be handled?

Oh, yeah, that's right...

The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority; to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls; to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction; to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party; to Controversies between two or more States; between a State and Citizens of another State, between Citizens of different States, between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wonmder if the USC considers the possibility for such a dispute, and declares how they are to be handled?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority; to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls; to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction; to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party; to Controversies between two or more States; between a State and Citizens of another State, between Citizens of different States, between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

Instead of just quoting a text, please speak specifically to what you're trying to prove.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Instead of just quoting a text, please speak specifically to what you're trying to prove.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

He seems to be having an aha moment.  

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

He is basically stating that 9 men in robes are the end all arbitrator to any constitutional debates. Thus, since they ruled that commerce clause is sufficient to have the Fed in every possible inch of the citizenry lives; its A-OK. Though I suspect he would be singing a different tune if Heller didn't go in our favor.

Bohr_Adam, correct me if I am wrong in my assessment.

ETA:

And if I am correct, your text says "to Controversies between two or more States; between a State and Citizens of another State, between Citizens of different States, between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects." What of controversies between citizens and the magical robed men making the decisions?

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:52:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He is basically stating that 9 men in robes are the end all arbitrator to any constitutional debates. Thus, since they ruled that commerce clause is sufficient to have the Fed in every possible inch of the citizenry lives; its A-OK. Though I suspect he would be singing a different tune if Heller didn't go in our favor.

ETA:

And if I am correct, your text says "to Controversies between two or more States; between a State and Citizens of another State, between Citizens of different States, between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects." What of controversies between citizens and the magical robed men making the decisions?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

We were sunk the minute the SCOTUS stopped reading the USC and started trying to rewrite it. Why anyone respects them anymore I don't know, fear I guess.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:56:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I agree.  It really doesn't matter what people's personal preferences are regarding the use of intoxicants, "the  people have spoken".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They voted and changed the law. In Washington and Colorado marijuana isn't criminal.   The federal government is so far out of bounds here.  It's time someone checked them.  

False.

In Washington State, the idiot dopers all voted to "legalize" weed, and it did not decriminalize it.

To decriminalize it, all that would be needed was to repeal the laws that made it a crime.  Anything in Wa that is not illegal, is legal (law on the books to keep judges from making up crimes).

All the law did was reform things.  It actually made some acts MORE criminal, and easier to be charged with harsher sentences.

In essence, the bill was a huge FUCK YOU PAY ME to people who smoke weed.   The states going to pull 25% tax on legal sales, make bank on licensing, it's going to be ran by the liquor control board, and the threshold for DWI is so low you can hardly smoke at all and drive without risk. Meaning DWI revenue.

The educated smokers are FURIOUS that it passed.  
And it's still federally illegal.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:59:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Did you notice this part?

weeks before the state allows sellers of recreational marijuana to open their doors.
View Quote

But yeah, keep mobying around trying to keep Republicans from voting and trying to sway the easily fooled. Voting does nothing, so stay home, GOP!!!!

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:04:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is still Federal law on the books that say Marijuana is a Schedule 1 controlled substance, and the Supreme Court has ruled (in United States v. Oakland Cannabis Buyers' Cooperative (2001) and Gonzales v. Raich (2005)) that "medical marijuana" is still a violation of the Controlled Substance Act.

If you don't like the law elect people to Congress that will change the law.
View Quote

They never had the power to enact it to begin with, so what difference does it make?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:15:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

But yeah, keep mobying around trying to keep Republicans from voting and trying to sway the easily fooled. Voting does nothing, so stay home, GOP!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

weeks before the state allows sellers of recreational marijuana to open their doors.

Did you miss the part where there are legal (medical) dispensaries that are operational in the state? But don't let that stop you from going on a moby/anti-libertarian/vote the GOP at all cost rant. Fill your quota good sir.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:17:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh heck, there are better examples than this marijuana raid before it is legal of voting results not being followed.

Many court decisions have, for all intents and purposes, reversed the results of a vote.

This has happened ALOT over the decades.

There is usually a ruling that what was voted for is unconstitutional in quite a few instances over our history.

Doesn't mean tyranny necessarily.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:20:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did you miss the part where there are legal (medical) dispensaries that are operational in the state? But don't let that stop you from going on a moby/anti-libertarian/vote the GOP at all cost rant. Fill your quota good sir.
View Quote

There will ALWAYS be Feds who will fight State level legalization IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#24]
He's saying two things.

1) Federal laws trumps state law according to the Constitution.

2) the judiciary has the power to decide cases where there is a supposed conflict between federal law and the Constitution.

Until a judge says federal drug laws are unconstitutional, federal law trumps state law.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He's saying two things.

2) the judiciary has the power to decide cases where there is a supposed conflict between federal law and the Constitution.

Until a judge says federal drug laws are unconstitutional, federal law trumps state law.
View Quote

Well as the courts stopped following the USC and just ruling however the fuck they want, what authority do they really hold anymore?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:33:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For sure. But that was not exactly the point the previous poster was making. He was just doing his boring predictable routine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#27]
So instead of a Constitutional Amendment like prohibition of alcohol, the Feds just made classes of "Controlled" substances that are technically legal, yet Cheech and Chong will ALWAYS be denied a permit? What George Washington and Thomas Jefferson had growing on their respective properties would be illegal today...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:38:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So instead of a Constitutional Amendment like prohibition of alcohol, the Feds just made classes of "Controlled" substances that are technically legal, yet Cheech and Chong will ALWAYS be denied a permit? What George Washington and Thomas Jefferson had growing on their respective properties would be illegal today...
View Quote

Well yeah, didn't marijuana become illegal in the late 1930's?

So I assume you could smoke marijuana during prohibition?

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:42:43 AM EDT
[#29]

No constitutional justification…

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:43:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There is still Federal law on the books that say Marijuana is a Schedule 1 controlled substance, and the Supreme Court has ruled (in United States v. Oakland Cannabis Buyers' Cooperative (2001) and Gonzales v. Raich (2005)) that "medical marijuana" is still a violation of the Controlled Substance Act.

If you don't like the law elect people to Congress that will change the law.
View Quote

What have you been smoking?

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:54:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boom!

LOL!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
    +1

He seems to be having an aha moment.  

View Quote

Not surprised that language is confusing to you. It usually does elude those of your clan.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:17:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you can't even understand even when it is pointed out to you.
The state didn't allow them to open their doors and sell yet and it is still a federal crime. So sad...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:20:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the 1920s booze was illegal, but opium based tinctures were available for infants with teething troubles, as well as cocaine in your friendly neighborhood drugstore. Marywanna was considered lower-class, but I know my grandparents on my dads' side never ONCE had an empty liquor cabinet, which was a problem for my father; he was told to obey the LAW, yet he would see his dad getting deliveries in the stock brokers' office of anything he and my granny wanted!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:26:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

3)      Restoring the Judiciary to its proper role: The Judiciary was never meant to be an all-powerful institution in which five men in robes have the final say over every major policy battle in the country.  In order to end judicial tyranny, Levin proposes limiting service to one 12-year term, and granting both Congress and the state legislatures the authority to overturn court decisions with the vote of three-fifths of both houses of Congress or state legislative bodies.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

He's saying two things.

View Quote

For a federal act to be lawful it must be consistent with
the powers vested via the constitution… the same goes for the federal courts.

It is not a lawful exercise to act in a manner or rule in a
manner inconsistent with the constitution.

(See Article 6 2nd paragraph)

Contrary to popular belief the federal legislature and
judiciary do not have the authority to make whatever laws and decisions that
they please without running afoul of the Constitution.

To believe otherwise is to concede to the notion that the Constitution
is dead and our constitutional republic has been overthrown and replaced with a
national Oligarchy.

Which is essentially what HAS happened, but there is a big
difference between accepting it and making peace with it .vs rejecting it and
seeing it as unlawful.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:32:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The state didn't allow them to open their doors and sell yet and it is still a federal crime. So sad...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Open their doors? These are established medical dispensaries. Already open. Per the article there are ~8 guidelines set forth, that are cited as the likely violations these shops made. Are you suggesting that folks setup brand new retail outlets and starting selling pot, to recreational users, before the law went into effect, thus causing the busts? One of us has a clear reading comprehension problem. Please enlighten me.

Retail marijuana sales are set to begin on Jan. 1 in Colorado, though not all municipalities will be ready to regulate sales by then. For now, dispensaries are supposed to sell only to people with medical permission to use the drug. Many of the state's 500 or so existing dispensaries are making plans to convert to recreational sales.

At one of the raided dispensaries, VIP Cannabis in Denver, agents loaded boxes into a rental truck. One officer wore a surgical mask. Several operators, including some at VIP Cannabis, didn't return calls seeking comment.

A quick google suggests that VIP Cannabis, the only one mentioned by name, is an already established medical dispensary.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:33:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512VfN8u9xL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

3)      Restoring the Judiciary to its proper role: The Judiciary was never meant to be an all-powerful institution in which five men in robes have the final say over every major policy battle in the country.  In order to end judicial tyranny, Levin proposes limiting service to one 12-year term, and granting both Congress and the state legislatures the authority to overturn court decisions with the vote of three-fifths of both houses of Congress or state legislative bodies.

I read his interview when the book came out. Lots of good ideas being promoted in it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:34:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Instead of just decriminalizing the plant, as they should have done, they will end up setting up MORE government to regulate it.  The bureaucratic apparatuses they are building for marijuana regulation are huge.  
View Quote

Most likely this.

Now there's going to have to be a State Department of Marijuana and about a jillion people to add to the payroll.

Any tax money that thay take in will be outspent by this new governmental agency.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:36:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

So local LE sent the Feds after them? Or do they get on the radar of the feds for not complying with State law?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

WAG, but, I assume they are moving weight and making lots of cash. Possibly selling to undercovers?

Sources close to the investigation tell 9Wants to Know, agents are gathering evidence, trying to prove profits made from cannabis grow operations are flowing back to Colombian drug cartels.

Whelp, that would do it.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:42:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

i wont hold my breath

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

DEA, IRS raid Denver-area marijuana businesses

View Quote

"DENVER –  Federal agents raided an unknown number of marijuana dispensaries and growing sites on Thursday in Colorado, confiscating piles of marijuana plants and cartons of cannabis-infused drinks just weeks before the state allows sellers of recreational marijuana to open their doors.

DEA raiding marijuana dispensaries in Puget Sound region

The will of the people doesn't matter.  If you don't like a law, work hard to change it, and do!...it still doesn't matter because the government will do what they want anyway.

What's tyranny again?

State's right vs. Federal jurisdiction.

Sounds like the premise for the first civil war.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#43]
It's not a joke.  If other states follow suit then the FEDs will be forced to reevaluate the issue.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:28:09 AM EDT
[#45]
My frustration is with the State.  They pass a law that they know is invalid under current Federal statutes, they accept fees and issue licenses for that illegal activity, and then they watch the poor dumb bastards that trusted them get hauled away by the Feds.  Why is the State not being prosecuted by the Feds for being a party to illegal activity?

I'm for legalization, but until it's done on a Federal level the States that legalize are just using people as sacrificial lambs.  If they had any integrity at all they would be providing for their legal defense.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Open their doors? These are established medical dispensaries. Already open. Per the article there are ~8 guidelines set forth, that are cited as the likely violations these shops made. Are you suggesting that folks setup brand new retail outlets and starting selling pot, to recreational users, before the law went into effect, thus causing the busts? One of us has a clear reading comprehension problem. Please enlighten me.

Retail marijuana sales are set to begin on Jan. 1 in Colorado, though not all municipalities will be ready to regulate sales by then. For now, dispensaries are supposed to sell only to people with medical permission to use the drug. Many of the state's 500 or so existing dispensaries are making plans to convert to recreational sales.

At one of the raided dispensaries, VIP Cannabis in Denver, agents loaded boxes into a rental truck. One officer wore a surgical mask. Several operators, including some at VIP Cannabis, didn't return calls seeking comment.

A quick google suggests that VIP Cannabis, the only one mentioned by name, is an already established medical dispensary.

View Quote

And violating the law before Jan, 1. Not that it matters since Fed law says it's illegal.

Read the first post in this thread and think about what the subject is and get back to me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#47]
A development of great interest would be a person running for Sheriff and winning on an honest promise to not allow the FEDs to conduct such operations in their 'doping' county, and then the FEDs challenging it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:37:33 AM EDT
[#48]
The raids, conducted on a frigid, snowy morning, were the first in Colorado since the U.S. Department of Justice said in August that it wouldn't interfere with state marijuana laws as long as the drug is kept away from children, the black market and other states, among other guidelines.

In a statement, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Denver said the criminal investigations unit of the Internal Revenue Service, the federal Drug Enforcement Administration and Denver authorities were involved in executing the sealed search and seizure warrants.

The raided businesses were suspected of violating more than one of the eight guidelines issued by the Justice Department.
View Quote

Much ado about nothing as usual from the neo libertarian left minarchists.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

And violating the law before Jan, 1. Not that it matters since Fed law says it's illegal.
View Quote

Clearly you read nothing but the snippet in the OP, went into your normal bitch fest about the poor old GOP, and have nothing to offer. Ill concede to your finely honed debate skills.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The federal government is so far out of bounds here.  It's time someone checked them.  
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top