Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 8:30:52 AM EDT

Can you still use a router inline with their adapter?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Just put your router behind the adapter.  Anyway, that is how I have mine set up, and it has given me no problems:

Cable Modem <-> Vonage Adaptor <-> Router <-> Computers

For what it is worth, Vonage worked great the first 9 months I had it.  Unfortunately, the last three months I've had a lot of call quality problems.  After checking my connection speed to a variety of servers around the country and using Skype with no quality problems, it appears that my connection is fine and the problem lies within Vonage itself.  But they always automatically blame call quality problems on your Internet connection.  Personally, I suspect they have oversold themselves and don't have enough of their own equipment to support all their customers properly now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got mine just the opposite, and it works.

Cable, cable modem, router, vonage box, ...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Also be aware of the fact the Vonage has no mandate to support 911 services. And consequently don't for the most part. Not a big deal for this group since we'll, for the most part, only be calling for pickup service from the PoPos. It does make calling for EMS or Fire Fighters problematic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard of people doing it that way too.  Glad to get confirmation it works.  I personally put my adapter outside the router because I needed all four ports of my router for computers and a printer, and because I wanted to let the adapter prioritize call traffic for best call quality.  As noted above, that isn't doing me much good right now...

By the way, my adapter is the Motorolla VT1005V.  What is yours?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also be aware of the fact the Vonage has no mandate to support 911 services. And consequently don't for the most part. Not a big deal for this group since we'll, for the most part, only be calling for pickup service from the PoPos. It does make calling for EMS or Fire Fighters problematic.

Vonage does support 911 service, but you have to sign up and give the correct address, and it isn't quite the same as traditional 911 service:

www.vonage-promotion.com/911.html

Also, it won't work properly if you use your Vonage service from other than your home because only one address can be listed with your service - presumably you list your home address.  You have to be prepared to tell your address to the person answering the 911 call.  They aren't the same people who answer regular 911 and don't have all the same information.  Also, Vonage is not as reliable as POTS (plain-old telephone service) 911.

I am signed up for Vonage's 911 service, but I also maintain a POTS line for emergencies, and can use my cell phone as well.  Multiple backups for best redundancy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes.  Just put your router behind the adapter.  Anyway, that is how I have mine set up, and it has given me no problems:

So your computers are going "through" your vonage adapter to access the Internet?  I thought the vonage adapter just had the ethernet network plugged into one side and your phone(s) on the other?  Something like this:

I don't have Vonage, but I am interested.  I envisioned some kind of "translation" box that would plug up to all your phones and convert the phone's signals to TCP/IP and send them onto your local network and out the cable modem up to the Internet.  Is that not how it works?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, in my configuration my computers are going through the Vonage adapter.  The adapter has two Ethernet connectors, one labeld WAN (connected to my cable modem) and one labeled PC (connected to my router).  But, as The_Reaper pointed out, you can also configure it the way you show in your drawing.

You can download the manual here to learn more about it and see all the different ways you can connect it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Ok, that answered that question.

Now, how do I maintain a private unlisted # when switching to them?  Sure, I can keep my existing unpublished #, but will it remain unserchable once I switch to vonage?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ok, that answered that question.

Now, how do I maintain a private unlisted # when switching to them?  Sure, I can keep my existing unpublished #, but will it remain unserchable once I switch to vonage?

Far as I know, Vonage doesn't publish a directory.

And Vonage is working on enhanced 911.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats how I have my stuff setup...

I have a Linksys VoIP router...it works behind my wireless AP/NAT router just fine...

I use it in South korea with no quality problems at all...
I have a U.S. telephone number. I do not have to dial the area code to call the wife...

Quoted:

Quoted:

So your computers are going "through" your vonage adapter to access the Internet?  I thought the vonage adapter just had the ethernet network plugged into one side and your phone(s) on the other?  Something like this:

www2.newnanutilities.org/~ewhitley1/postpics/Vonage.jpg

I don't have Vonage, but I am interested.  I envisioned some kind of "translation" box that would plug up to all your phones and convert the phone's signals to TCP/IP and send them onto your local network and out the cable modem up to the Internet.  Is that not how it works?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Vonage is da heat-I'm having very good luck with it so far.

Mine is setup like this: VPN/firewall appliance --> Switch --> Vonage VoiP box
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Also consider there are  other services besides Vonage who may offer numbers in your area:

BroadVoice, VoicePulse, Net2Phone, etc.

Voage may be overselling their bandwidth (that is, they got too popular too quickly)

Often you'll find equal service for a better price than Vonage if you look around.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Also consider there are  other services besides Vonage who may offer numbers in your area:

Voage may be overselling their bandwidth (that is, they got too popular too quickly)

Often you'll find equal service for a better price than Vonage if you look around.

Or not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thats how I have my stuff setup...

I have a Linksys VoIP router...it works behind my wireless AP/NAT router just fine...

I use it in South korea with no quality problems at all...
I have a U.S. telephone number. I do not have to dial the area code to call the wife...

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I do the same from Oki, have never had call quality problems.

www2.newnanutilities.org/~ewhitley1/postpics/Vonage.jpg

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or not.

Or not, correct, some may have worse service and/or higher prices.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Another Vonage fan here - I have had them 8 months and no problems
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top