Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2005 4:22:00 PM EDT
So I just decided to sign up and try Vonage, as the regular home phone has been showing it's limits. I'm only paying $13 something now, and with Vonage's $14.99 rate, it's not too shabby. You get a decent set of features for free, and the only limitation seems to be the 500 minute limit (3.6 cents a minute after that). For $24.99 you get unlimited, but I don't think I'll even use 500. It's just been sucking that I can't call long distance from home, and my cell service is spotty in the apartment.

So here's a few things you get:

Voice mail (And you can listen to your messages ONLINE, or have them emailed to you as audio files!)
Caller ID
Call waiting
Call forwarding (and forwarding if your internet service is temporarily off)
Choose your area code (you can choose any area code you want, regardless of where you actually are)

Is anyone using Vonage yet? How's the service? How's the sound quality?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:30:50 PM EDT
Vonage seems to be awesome.

Everyone in my family has it.

Free unlimited long distance if you go with the $27 package. (or however much it is)

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:31:32 PM EDT
I like their ads, but that damn song drives me nuts!!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:54:36 PM EDT
ask them if 911 works.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:24:34 PM EDT
I have Vonage for a while now. Read the fine print before you sign. There's a fee to do almost anything. You have to pay a fee to cancel your service. You have to pay a fee to change your number. I am happy with the service. I just don't like fees to change your service.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:31:15 PM EDT
We are currently using Vonage to provide VoIP to the FEMA HQ in Jackson Mississippi over a satellite link. They work pretty well, even over a satellite network.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:49:10 PM EDT
Yeah, I had to fill something out for the 911 usage, so it should work from where I am. It seems pretty nice, and the 500 minute plan should be more than enough. Only a few times have I EVER talked more than a couple hours a month. We'll see how it does!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:50:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:
We are currently using Vonage to provide VoIP to the FEMA HQ in Jackson Mississippi over a satellite link. They work pretty well, even over a satellite network.

I had heard that VoIP fares poorly over satellite links due to latency -- tell me about your setup including your satellite link.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:52:45 PM EDT
As for Vonage itself, there are a lot of other players out there now, BroadVoice, Net2Phone, VoicePulse, et al., so check out the others and their prices as well before committing to the one that just as the most ads on TV (Vonage).
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:54:01 PM EDT
I have it and I like it. The 911 issues are supposed to be worked out shortly IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:54:01 PM EDT
I use vonage, I got the 25 dollar package and get free long distance inside the country. It's awesome.

The only downside to it is once I was trying to upload this huge 20GB file of the Tour de France to an FTP server and my phone started sounding kind of choppy like a cell phone but that was just when my pipe was flooded with that upload.

other than that it's been AWESOME>

Best part about vonage: telling Qwest to KISS MY HAIRY WHITE ASS!!!! 60 bucks a month for a phone line and call waiting and a couple other little options. HAHA, bite me Qwest!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 5:59:43 PM EDT by TexasSIG]
It's great! I have 2 lines, one for home and one for my home office.

My kid has the "softphone" line that runs on a Windows PC for 7 bucks a month.
he has a USB headset on his PC and can talk to hius buddies on that. 7 bucks for that line.

I bought a small battery backup for the cable modem and Vonage box, so I'm good
when the power goes off.

I verified 911 service works during my cities monthly 911 test.

I don't have anything at all bad to say, I've been using it for over a year now.

And, as mentioned above, telling SBC to stick it was the best part.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:03:50 PM EDT
I have had Vonage for over a year and not one issue. 911 works fine and I have never went over my 500 minutes yet. Best thing is the 500 minutes are only calls you make not incoming calls.

Screw the major phone companies and there damn extra fees.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:07:20 PM EDT
I have had 3 Vonage lines for 2 years now. I have disconnected one of my two lines from the local provider.

The features, cost and rates are awesome! I have one line for home, a second primary line for home office and a third line for a softphone.

My complaints with the service:

Lack of support for third party SIP phones;
Shared line/Bridged line for handset and softphone;

My experience with the quality has been good and have not had any Vonage-related outages. Any outage or service degradation has been due to my cable provider. The feature of forwarding all calls to an alternate number in case of loss of contact to the TA is nice to have.

911 isn't too much of an issue, as you manually insert your location for each line as to direct any 911 calls to the appropriate PSAP. Come Nov(?), the telcos will be forced to open up their BTN to allow VoIP providers access for 911 calls.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:12:23 PM EDT
Skype does most of what Vonage does, and it's mostly free.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:28:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:

Can I plug my regular cordless phone into Skype? heheh I know what Skype does, for the most part. I'd rather have somethingthat can behave as a real phone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:34:48 PM EDT
I have it and I LOVE it. No outages, I talk to my brother in Alaska quite a bit, all for $27 per month. My ONLY complaint is that their website can be slow, but it's nice to be able to check my voicemail from any computer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:53:50 AM EDT
Its not too bad, the main problem, like you said, is the propagation delay, but that is true with any satellite voice channels. There is about a quarter second delay on the uplink and another quarter on the downlink so it takes a half second for the other end to hear what you say. We have VoIP boxes into routers, uplinked, downlinked and tied into a T1
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:55:40 AM EDT
Broadvoice: $20 a month, unlimited US and International long distance (to 21 countries).
I use the $10/month Broadvoice plan and get unlimited in-state long distance.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:52:47 AM EDT

I have it and it works great, but I hardly use the phone!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:57:41 AM EDT
Friend of mine at work has had it for months and loves it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:06:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:

Skype is a cute toy, but it's not a real phone service.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:14:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
... the 500 minute plan should be more than enough. Only a few times have I EVER talked more than a couple hours a month.

Check the fine print on that. Unless you have your own 800 number, incoming calls do NOT count against your 500 minutes, nor do outgoing calls to 800 numbers. So it's actually a better deal than it sounds like.

Sound quality is sometimes so-so, and I sometimes get some strange echos, but the quality is generally OK. TIVO's modem didn't like dialing out over it, though. Your ordinary cordless phone will work fine, as long as it works now. My fax machine has worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:47:28 AM EDT
google talk is free like skype and it works well i talk to my friend in MN all the time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:00:37 AM EDT
I have had Vonage for about a year as does much of my family now Not one problem to speak of the 911 works just fine here (you just need to fill out the paperwork) As for the sound quality it is not noticable as the setup I use the VOIP adapter is before my router for the best quality
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:15:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bogie:
I have had Vonage for about a year as does much of my family now Not one problem to speak of the 911 works just fine here (you just need to fill out the paperwork) As for the sound quality it is not noticable as the setup I use the VOIP adapter is before my router for the best quality

Broadvoice does not come with 911 service, which you normally pay with landlines anyhow, but 911 for me comes in different caliber sizes. There's also the cell phone.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:19:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:22:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:25:26 AM EDT
I have vonage for my office phone at home because I work out of the house. It is great but the only problem is when you are uploading something, such as files or even sending an email it can cut out.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:34:32 AM EDT
[ theard hi-jack ]

wow.. tell me more abot skype and google talk.. can I call a regular number from it?

dont care about incoming.. if I can make out going calls to normal numbers and not just the people on a buddy list that would be cool..

thanks

[ / end thread hi-jck]
Top Top