Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2007 2:56:03 PM EDT
Current and past customers, how did you like it?  

I'm considering trying it and I'm looking for opinions/experiences.  I noticed that the website includes numerous disclaimers, interference with sat TV and alarms systems were specificaly listed.

TIA
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
6 months now, zero problems.

Best part is I gave the phone company the finger.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm considering trying it and I'm looking for opinions/experiences.  I noticed that the website includes numerous disclaimers, interference with sat TV and alarms systems were specificaly listed.

TIA

I must be missing something here, but how in the world does a wired network device interfere with sat TV or an alarm system? News to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA

I must be missing something here, but how in the world does a wired network device interfere with sat TV or an alarm system? News to me.

Vonage is digital telephone.   Not the same as POTS from the bells.  So your Sat receiver modem might not work on the new digital system....same thing for home security systems.

I know of a few people using fax's over Vonage and it works fine.

I have been using Vonage since I got my cable system up and running with internet.
Works like a charm and only costs $15.00 a month.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
There seems to be a weekly "Is Anyone Using Vonage" thread.  There was one last week, IIRC.  Do a search, you'll find a lot of input... mostly good.

I use it at home and it works great.  I'd recommend it!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA

Vonage is digital telephone.   Not the same as POTS from the bells.  So your Sat receiver modem might not work on the new digital system....same thing for home security systems.

I know of a few people using fax's over Vonage and it works fine.

I know what it is, silly.

I guess I was hung up on the word "interfere". If you ditch your POTS service, then ya - I can see certain things being affected, like sat tv, certain DVR's, alarm systems, etc.

In my realm (paid VoIP dork), we install ATA devices or FXS ports in routers for analog devices like these (fax machines, or example). I guess Vonage isn't too confident in their ability to do the same? I really don't know, since I don't use Vonage.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Viatalk Have had them for about 3 months with no problems. $199.00 for the first year up front and get the second year free.
Took 3 days to get the Hardware in the mail, hooked it up, pluged in the phone and had a dial tone.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  I didn't do a search because the last time I looked I couldn't search the GD.  

I believe that Vonage is the only alternative to Quest in my area (NW Tucson/Mirana).  My patience with Quest is wearing thin and I'm looking for alternatives if service does not improve.

So far, it sounds like vonage is GTG.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My sis has it. I hate talking to her on it. Bad voice quality, echo, dropped calls, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top