Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 1:34:44 PM EDT
Looking in to official volunteer channel to go assist in New Orleans with immediate efforts related to evacuating the stranded people, as they've now closed the superdome, the hospital is surrounded by water, and there are too many people stuck on rooftops for current rescuers to manage.

Update 9/1: At this time, it looks like the local and imported authorities don't want any more help, as much due to the risks posed by the individuals still in the city as the environmental hazards etc. Only paid people are going in to the city, and there are a lot of volunteers in the behind the lines areas already so no help there.

As soon as I get an update that changes this, I'll post, but for now, this can be untacked and we have to stand by unable to do anything but wish we could help.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
E-mail me if you find out how and where to help.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've spoken with a volunteer coordinator in Baton Rouge. I've confirmed that my own skills are of  need in the efforts.

I'll be speaking with him again in a few hours about logistics (where to fly in, how they'd transport to New Orleans, what supplies to try to bring, etc).

I know I'm not alone in this. I told him that I'd reach out to others who may be interested in going to help.

If you're interested in going to help, post here, and and mention any background you have that may be of relevance to the volunteer coordinators ( SAR, Fire, EMS, LEO, maritime, former mil, former peace corp, whatever). Of course feel free to IM me if you don't want to mention your details in a public forum.

I'll gather details and pass information to him, and then put you in touch with him or whoever he next directs me to contact.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Can I get a tack?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have basic First Aid and can operate a radio and do sandbag duty. I can be there Fri evening through Monday morning as long as I can pop a tent and get a few hours of shutteye everyday.

E-mail me if I can be of assistance.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Emailed 3 arfcom volunteers so far
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm waiting to see if and what Virginia offers up.

I'm vdot.

Danny

I can alomost imagine what is up down there, Camille tore up this county in 1969.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Carpenter / Rigger / SCUBA Diver here
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
medic/former leo/ff.  I sent you a email also.   James
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I flew left seat in U.S. Army OH-58 observation helicopters and am quite good at aerial navigation, if I do say so myself.  I can run radios and spot survivors, so please let me know if they need an aerial observer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]
All,

If you haven't already, send an email containing:

a) real name & screenname
b) your relevant experience / skills / quals
c) a contact phone number
d) your current geographical location

That will help me to organize this the best.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey BoreSighted, I sent you an email, let me know if you don't get it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Email sent.  Former PWRS (jet ski rescue) for the USCG Aux.  Operated on the Red River during the N. Dakota flood in the late 90's.  I'm in Alaska and don't know how I'd get there & I don't know anyone in that region, but I'd help for 7-10 days if needed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:49:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I just got off the phone with a brain-dead automaton at the Region V office of FEMA.  As you might guess, she was absolutely no help at all and obviously didn't give a shit.

If we have a way to get down there to help, FEMA might not be the best way (if she is any indication of the overall quality of the agency).
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#18]
IM sent
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I am gonna make my own thread about how I am not allowed to volunteer..
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Every bubba with a bassboat along the gulfcoast has started to converge on the area to help.

None thinking about the fact that there are no fuel docks with power to refuel their boats. They're cerating a problem of their own for the other organized, planned, and communicating efforts.

At the moment, standing down and awaiting some resolution to the new problem - people who want to help but were not bright enough to establish contact before clogging the area and are tying up the coordination efforts. My contact is swamped.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Keep us in the loop with frequent updates please.  I think I can find the $ to fly from Alaska, but need to know when I can come & the details.  I DO NOT want to just show up (duh) and as their keeping people out, I need to know that we have official approval to be there.  Kind of like you said with the yahoos just showing up (glad they are trying to help, but just showing up might not be the best idea).
What kind of contacts do you have & will this be officially approved by someone so were on a list of some type?  We all meet at a certain point and go in together?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Every bubba with a bassboat along the gulfcoast has started to converge on the area to help.

None thinking about the fact that there are no fuel docks with power to refuel their boats. They're cerating a problem of their own for the other organized, planned, and communicating efforts.

At the moment, standing down and awaiting some resolution to the new problem - people who want to help but were not bright enough to establish contact before clogging the area and are tying up the coordination efforts. My contact is swamped.

Thanks for helping to coordinate.  We'll be watching this space for updates.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#23]
My contact is an official within the Incident Command, and I'm still standing by because I won't go until my contact can assure that I'll (and we'll, including any other arfcommer volunteer who has skills that they feeel they need) have clearance to travel to the staging area. Anybody just showing up is being turned away, so I'm waiting until I've got the correct authorization.

I'm not releasing his information to the world because he's overwhelmed enough as it is.

Bear with me, the more information I get the more I want to be there actively helping in rescue, rather than waiting until it simply becomes recovery, but there are a lot of other people blocking the path.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks much, you answered my question.  I feel the same way and just wanted to confirm that this would be an official deal so we're allowed access.  I can be packed & leave quickly, just depends on a ticket to travel.  My contact number from the email is my cell number, call day or night.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Bear with me, the more information I get the more I want to be there actively helping in rescue, rather than waiting until it simply becomes recovery.

Ditto that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Just finished residency this morning, and have two weeks before I move to start a new job.  SCUBA diver, though not current.  Know a little bit about medicine, anesthesiology/critical care, trauma.  Mail inbound.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#28]
email sent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#29]
email sent
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#30]
For those wanting to donate supplies they are requesting new underwear (particularly child's and/or small girl's), socks, pillows, and pampers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:03:59 AM EDT
[#32]
E-Mail sent.  EMT, Medical asst, USCG search and Rescue for 4 years, also some LEO experience.  Keep me posted.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#33]
This does a heart good to see all of the helping hands available to assist with the efforts in New Orleans.

I was born and raised in New Orleans and this is truly a devastating event.

My family and I evacuated and are safe and sound in Nashville, TN.

However, if you guys are going down there, PLEASE be carefull. I know everyone here has the best intentions in mind, but there are reports of armed gangs roaming the streets. Police have no way to contact each other as the cell phones do not work and they have no way to re-charge their radios. The gangs have already used a forklift and other heavy machinery to break into the local Wal-Marts, pawn shops, and gun stores. There are also reports of people being carjacked while making their way into the city.

Now, jokingly, I know that this is a situation that many ARFCOM members drool over. Realistically, if you plan to go, please do so with caution. I love the city and most of the people, but right now, this event has brought out the worst of humanity. My family and I will no longer reside there after this, as we are already making plans to move. I believe that this is a strong statement coming from someone who has lived there 35 years.

New Orleans is under MARTIAL LAW now. The police and military can confiscate and seize any and all of your equipment as they see fit and you can't do a thing about it.

If you guys need any other information, feel free to contact me here, or IM me. I'll be checking the boards all day.

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Yup, I was going to come in here and post about the civil unrest the they're currently having.  Anyone who goes down to help, please be careful.  Rioters aren't making the distinction between rescuers and rioters.  Even helicopters are being shot at and ambulances being overturned.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#35]
email sent
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#37]
I won't be back and available in the States until Sept. 15.  but would be happy to help if possible.  I work offshore, have HUET and marine survival training.  Electrical and electronic experience, power generation etc.  I also know NO fairly well.  Some EMT training.  Let me know something if there's a need for volunteers when I get back.  Goes without saying I can provide my own firearms and knives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top