Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2012 6:38:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/9/2012 6:50:50 AM EST by Jame_Retief]
Vlad the Impaler is talked about as being the inspiration for Count Dracula. The idea that he was mad, thirsted for blood has been propogated throughout the centuries.

The vile smear campaing must end NOW!!!

He was the a vampire hunter! All those folks he impaled? He was going nuclear on possible vampires. Cannot find the one you know is there? Perhaps one of their thralls escaped and may be in the population.

Stake everyone through the heart, it is the only way to be sure!!

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:39:57 AM EST

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:41:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By Tomislav:

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:41:36 AM EST
Imapler?

Vlad the Imapler Syrup?
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:42:51 AM EST
That might be true, ill get in the DeLorean and find out later.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:42:57 AM EST
It makes so much sense now!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:43:15 AM EST
Lol
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:45:15 AM EST
Vlad the Impaler is actually a hero in Romania. The people he impaled? An invading army. He put their scout team up on sticks, and they decided he was crazy and that they should rape and pillage somewhere else, IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:45:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/9/2012 6:46:09 AM EST by 74novaman]
Well you don't get a nickname like "the Impaler" for your pancake breakfasts raising money for the kids, that's for sure.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:46:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By USMC6177:
Imapler?

Vlad the Imapler Syrup?

That's the Canadian one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:48:20 AM EST

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:50:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/9/2012 6:50:45 AM EST by StewartTR]
Originally Posted By ceverett:
Vlad the Impaler is actually a hero in Romania. The people he impaled? An invading army. He put their scout team up on sticks, and they decided he was crazy and that they should rape and pillage somewhere else, IIRC.

Weren't they also Muslim?...
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:50:39 AM EST
Imapler?

Vlad the Imapler Syrup?

Piss!! Going to correct.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:53:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By Jame_Retief:
Vlad the Impaler is talked about as being the inspiration for Count Dracula. The idea that he was mad, thirsted for blood has been propogated throughout the centuries.

He was the a vampire hunter! All those folks he impaled? He was going nuclear on possible vampires. Cannot find the one you know is there? Perhaps one of their thralls escaped and may be in the population.

um..... he shoved stakes/ sharpened poles up their asses, and hoisted them 20 feet into the air, to slowly slide down the stake... unless vampires have their hearts in their colons, somethings fishy with that hypothesis.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:54:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By buck19delta:

um..... he shoved stakes/ sharpened poles up their asses, and hoisted them 20 feet into the air, to slowly slide down the stake... unless vampires have their hearts in their colons, somethings fishy with that hypothesis.

ANATOMY WAS IMPRECISE SCIENCE AT BEST BACK THEN!
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:57:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By StewartTR:

I don't remember, and I'm to lazy to look it up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:57:23 AM EST
Imapler?

Vlad the Imapler Syrup?

Piss!! Going to correct.

That fucks my joke don't do it!
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:26:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By irishtech:
That might be true, ill get in the DeLorean and find out later.

When come back bring pie
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:30:15 AM EST

I don't remember, and I'm to lazy to look it up.

He was fighting the Turks lead by Mohammed II. Some people credit Vlad with stopping a Muslim invasion of Europe, I'm not an expert of that era to know if that's really true.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:31:38 AM EST
You take your revisionist revisionism elsewhere, OP.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:35:44 AM EST
Vlad was the man.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:36:08 AM EST

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:37:26 AM EST

Yes they were.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:41:09 AM EST
Also fun to note that one of the muslims sent to talk sense into Vlad refused to take off his hat, so Vlad had it nailed to his skull.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:43:35 AM EST
Also fun to note that one of the muslims sent to talk sense into Vlad refused to take off his hat, so Vlad had it nailed to his skull.

Imagine if he had a Hilti
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:43:44 AM EST
I think it's pretty much agreed that every ruler in Europe some 500-1000 years ago was not very nice.

Torture, murder, and sadistic methods of killing people were considered to be entertainment by the masses. We live in the most peaceful and gentle time in human history.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:53:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
I think it's pretty much agreed that every ruler in Europe some 500-1000 years ago was not very nice.

Torture, murder, and sadistic methods of killing people were considered to be entertainment by the masses. We live in the most peaceful and gentle time in human history.

Yeah, we incinerate them by the hundreds of thousands in milliseconds.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:53:01 AM EST
I actually attended a talk at the Royal Armouries about vampires on Halloween and the curator there specifically stated there is no link whatsoever between Vlad Tepes fondness for impaling and Slavic folklore surrounding vampires.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:54:04 AM EST

They believed the best way to get to a man's heart was through his stomach. They were just trying for the alternative site of entry.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:55:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By Him:

Refresh my memory, when was the last time we did that? A hint: It was long before you or I was even born.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:55:56 AM EST

But they were civilized unlike the unruly colonists under their rule. There was no way man would not devolve into savagery without those benevolent dictators.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:56:52 AM EST
Vlad was a Vampire Hunter?

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:02:13 AM EST
Makes sense....Impale them all and let God sort them out.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:03:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/9/2012 8:03:42 AM EST by Bushmaster1984]
Vlad was a stud..........no doubt about it.

fought hard against Ottoman/islamic expansion into europe.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:04:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/9/2012 8:07:39 AM EST by WilliamGray]
From what I hear, he was a fair ruler, but if you broke the law he laid the smack down. I heard that he had a gold cup encrusted with jewles on the town fountain for the poor to drink out of. No one stole it because they did not want a pine tree up the ass.

Dracula translates to "Son of the Dragon". His father belonged to the Order of Dragons.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:06:47 AM EST
The retarded threads bring out the most lulz.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:09:44 AM EST

The messengers told Vlad that their custom was to only remove their headgear in the presensce of their ruler, so he told them he would help them keep their traditions.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:12:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By Kaygee:
I actually attended a talk at the Royal Armouries about vampires on Halloween and the curator there specifically stated there is no link whatsoever between Vlad Tepes fondness for impaling and Slavic folklore surrounding vampires.

The link was made by Bram Stroker. But you have to admit, "Vlad the impaler of the house of Dracula" is too good to resist.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:15:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/9/2012 8:16:26 AM EST by BobP]

Correct. Bram Stoker made that connection. He was in the middle of writing a vampire novel when he ran across the name Dracula and thought it was perfect for the character. He also liked Transylvania as the name for the setting. So he rewrote the novel with a Transylvanian count named Dracula.

The vampire lore predates Vlad. It was due to people not fully understanding the changes a dead body goes through in early decomposition. Fun fact, the stake through the heart started out as a stake through the body in the grave. The stake went through the body into the ground to hold the body down in the grave in case it became a vampire. The vampire wouldn't be able to climb out because he/she would be pinned to the ground.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:17:21 AM EST
There's also a theory that Stoker could've gotten some of his ideas from the story of Eleonore von Schwarzenberg
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:18:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By DWFAN:
There's also a theory that Stoker could've gotten some of his ideas from the story of Eleonore von Schwarzenberg

She was crazy as hell.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:18:46 AM EST
On a side note.

I want a Romanian AK.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:19:23 AM EST
Originally Posted By 74novaman:
Originally Posted By DWFAN:

She was crazy as hell.

Or maybe?

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:19:42 AM EST

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:24:42 AM EST

Refresh my memory, when was the last time we did that? A hint: It was long before you or I was even born.

You were born when?

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:25:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By BobP:

Correct. Bram Stoker made that connection. He was in the middle of writing a vampire novel when he ran across the name Dracula and thought it was perfect for the character. He also liked Transylvania as the name for the setting. So he rewrote the novel with a Transylvanian count named Dracula.

The vampire lore predates Vlad. It was due to people not fully understanding the changes a dead body goes through in early decomposition. Fun fact, the stake through the heart started out as a stake through the body in the grave. The stake went through the body into the ground to hold the body down in the grave in case it became a vampire. The vampire wouldn't be able to climb out because he/she would be pinned to the ground.

The curator recommended 'a bloody big rock' as the idea expedient tool for holding corpses/vampires in thier graves

On a related note
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9647904/Buried-with-a-stake-through-a-heart-the-medieval-vampire-burial.html
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:28:20 AM EST

Muslim horde. We owe our freedoms to Vlad! He stopped it dead in Romania. Albania is mostly Muslim.

They tried but couldn't go through Italy because of logistics and crappy nautical skills. But on land, they were fast. This is why Spain was conquered, they didn't have issues crossing into the Iberian lands since they could see it from Africa.

Spain had isolated islands where Castialian culture survived, these are the Canary Islands. Out of sight of land, the fearful Muslim sailors didn't dare to cross open ocean.

Back to Vlad, the rumors of a blood-thirsty villain most certainly came from Muslim folklore where they would see the bodies of their brothers impaled on pikes. Bram Stoker ran with the premise.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:29:40 AM EST
I named my dick, Vlad.

Similar technique applies.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:30:32 AM EST
Huh, I always figured this guy was the inspiration for Dracula .......

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:31:44 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:32:46 AM EST

You were born when?

The early 1960s. The last time we incinerated "hundreds of thousands in milliseconds" was in 1945. And we as a society determined it was so horrible that we have done our best to never do it again unless absolutely necessary.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top