Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 12:41:36 AM EDT
Visitor at Pa. Gun Show Shot in the Shin
By Associated Press
May 16, 2005

MONROEVILLE, Pa. -- A visitor to a gun show was shot in the shin by a gun that was supposed to be unloaded, authorities said. "It appears as though one customer at a vendor's table was looking at a 9 mm pistol, and it fired," said Monroeville police Sgt. Larry Lyons.

Walter Gladkowski, 65, of Monroeville, was treated for a flesh wound at Mercy Hospital after the shooting Saturday and released.

The shooting appears to be an accident, Lyons said, but police were investigating whether the gun was loaded before or during the show.

The 64-year-old man handling the gun when it discharged has not been charged.

"Sometimes in the course of a day, you may have dozens of people handle a gun. It may have been unloaded when it was brought into the show and put on display," Lyons said. "It's hard to say. Obviously, it was loaded when the customer was handling it."

The gun was displayed by Hannah's Gun Shop of Tipton, Blair County, police said. A phone number for the shop could not be located.

Richard Vensel, president of the Pennsylvania Gun Collectors Association, also wants to know why the gun was loaded. Gun show vendors must sign a pledge stating that their guns are unloaded, he said.

"It was an unfortunate incident," Vensel said. "We strive for safety education, to inform the public and those that are less familiar with the use of firearms the safe operation of firearms."

www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-gun-show-shooting%2C0%2C7844197.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#1]
what were those rules again?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#2]
"it fired"

Yes, it just "went off" all on it's own. Inatimate objects tend to do that. All by themselves. Yup.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"it fired"

Yes, it just "went off" all on it's own. Inatimate objects tend to do that. All by themselves. Yup.

It "went off" because a customer was looking at it.  I gotta remember to avert my eyes at future gun shows.  

"It appears as though one customer at a vendor's table was looking at a 9 mm pistol, and it fired," said Monroeville police Sgt. Larry Lyons.

Maybe the customer was Uri Geller.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Should' have left his shin at home.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Anti gun liberal kommikrats just love to go to gun shows and slip rounds into firearms that are on display, in the caliber, that is in their pocket.I have seen this many times at gunshows and it is not going to stop.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anti gun liberal kommikrats just love to go to gun shows and slip rounds into firearms that are on display, in the caliber, that is in their pocket.I have seen this many times at gunshows and it is not going to stop.  

I don’t mean to sound absolutely naive...but are serious or joking about this?

Have you actually seen / caught "kommikrats" trying to secretly load weapons in order to cause "accidents and bad press" for gun shows?

Is this just your opinion/theory, or are there actual "documented" cases of people trying to do this?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Not too long ago I wnet to a gun show and was looking at a  .45. As I pulled back the slide out pops a round. Opps. I drop the magazine and it is packed with 7 more rounds. The gut at the table goes HUM I wonder how that happened. Thank God my father taught me to inspect every gun and treat as if it were loaded. Got that beat into my head 35 yrs ago and still remeber it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not too long ago I wnet to a gun show and was looking at a  .45. As I pulled back the slide out pops a round. Opps. I drop the magazine and it is packed with 7 more rounds. The gut at the table goes HUM I wonder how that happened. Thank God my father taught me to inspect every gun and treat as if it were loaded. Got that beat into my head 35 yrs ago and still remeber it.

Good deal! +1 for your Dad (and you).....

-100000 for the dealer. Did he stop everything and check through all the weapons on his table right away?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top