Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/3/2005 8:27:49 PM EDT
About a month ago, I was across the street at my neighbor's house plinking. He had alot of younger friends over, many of whom had never shot a firearm before. I thought "What better way to introdce them to the wonderful world of fireamrs than to let them fire an AR?" I was right. A good time was had by all.

When we were all done, I decided to have a little fun and bump a few mags. I was trying it with a new Sporter upper I had recently aquired, and it was jamming evey now and then. I told everyone "Hang on, I've got another rifle at the house that does this a little better". It was going to be getting dark in an hour or so, so I figured I'd just grab my rifle, bump a few mags, shut eveything down and have a beer.

As I was walking out of my house with the AR and a beer in hand, I saw a Sherrif's Deputy pulling in my neighbor's driveway. I turned around, set my rifle and my beer down and walked across the street - knowing full well why he was there. The exchange went a little somehting like this:

"Hey, why did you walk back in the house when I pulled up?"

"Well, it's kind of a personal policy of mine not to approach law enforcement with a loaded rifle and a beer".

"<laughs> That's alright, I just wanted to see your rifle, that's all"

"Ya? Well, I can go back to the house and get it. It's pretty cool."

"Nah, don't worry about it. You've got one here right?"

"Sure do! Check it out. I just finished putting it together today"

"<shoulders it> Hey, this is pretty nice. I've wanted to get one for a while."

"Cool. Does your department have any?"

"No, they won't let us have them."

"Man, that sucks. Everybody should have a nice carbine handy."

"I agree. Hey, the reason I came out here is somebody complained and said they heard full auto fire. They also said there were rounds whizzing by their house"

"Well, I'm shooting over here (pointing downrange) and there's no houses back there."

"I know, you're fine. Is this a machine gun?"

"Nope, semi-auto. I was bumpfiring it. Do you know what that is?"

"Sure"

"Oh, cool. Do you wanna check it out and make sure there's no M16 fire control group parts in it?"

"Nah, don't worry about it. When somebody complains I have to come out. You're all right. Hey, can I get your name, address, DOB and social?"

"Sure (handing him my driver's license) Hey, I'm sorry about the noise and everything. I didn't mean to piss any neighbors off. Hey, since you're here, I've been meaning to ask - Is it OK for me to be shooting out here?"

"Here? Sure! You live in the country, you're fine. Just make sure you've got a decent backstop and that your not shooting at night or anything. If somebody complains, I've got to come out. Honestly, of all the calls I've gone on tonight, this one's been kind of fun."

"Ha! Right on. Hey, you wanna send a few rounds downrange?"

"No, I gotta go. Maybe next time though! You guys have a nice evening, all right?"

"Back at ya!"

And there it was. I really love it out here here. I was going to post this earlier, but I didn't think it was that interesting. I post it now in light of the other thread, just so that folks know not all LEO's are filthy rotten pigs. This guy was cool as hell. We're gonna get along just fine. I'm sure I'll see him a few more times this year.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:34:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:34:53 PM EDT
What about the dog.......did you save the dog????.......was there a dog????
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:34:54 PM EDT

"Nah, don't worry about it. When somebody complains I have to come out. You're all right. Hey, can I get your name, address, DOB and social?"

so what did he need all that for and why did you give it to him without asking?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:35:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:

Fulton County

I thought that was the Atlanta area. There's a Fulton County, OH?

Yup! We drink pop on the davenport, here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:36:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedAndRetarded:

'Cause I liked him.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:36:16 PM EDT
yeah that happens to us sometimes. usually the cop that comes out to investigate ends up saying something to the extent... "oh way cool hardware!!" they usually end up shooting with us.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:41:06 PM EDT
On Thanksgiving afternoon (or the day after?) me and a buddy were sighting in bolt actions in an open river bottom that his father owned. The neighbors called 911 and said someone was deer hunting.

1) it was deer season and daylight
2) we were 5 ft from a truck shooting off a table, across the river bottom, into a tree/bank
3) we shot way more than one time

The deputy was nice though. Pretty much a "you're fine, I had to come out though" call.

I told my buddy it was just some of the neighborhood poachers trying to protect his deer for him
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:43:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 8:46:53 PM EDT by A_Free_Man]
"No, I gotta go. Maybe next time though! You guys have a nice evening, all right?"

"Back at ya!"

And THAT is exactly how these things hould go. For both the citizen and the officer.

Hey, can I get your name, address, DOB and social?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The deputy had to go back to his station and show a report that he had made contact, ascertained that nothing wrong was going on, everything on the up and up. He had to show that he was doing his job. And they checked you out, and if they found any red flags, they'd come back and see you about it.

I usually bring them back to my shop, let them f.. I mean, handle some goodies and drool, and give their sidearm or AR-15 a free and thorough cleaning and check out. "Hey, this extractor is showing some wear... here, I'll drop in a new one for you."

Of course, I go shooting with most of them, and have an open invitation to use their department ranges.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:44:30 PM EDT

Paper pushers want the data.

When I find a wallet, ID, keys, whatever, and take them to the campus police department, the dispatcher or other employee always wants to fill out the "report" form. The first time that happened, I stood there for the ten minutes it took to fill out the form, get the information, and then have an officer come initial it.

Ever since then, I hand them whatever I found, and tell them where and when I found it. They then ask "Can I get your name, address, phone, and ID number?" and I reply "Anonymous report, thanks" and walk away.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 8:45:47 PM EDT by Jasba]
I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish here.......but....posting stories about law enforcement officers being pleasant and respectful is NOT what the standard protocol is here..........

Nice, except for the drinking and bumpfiring.........lets try to set a better example for the new shooters next time........
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:51:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 8:52:08 PM EDT by SubnetMask]

Originally Posted By Jasba:
I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish here.......but....posting stories about law enforcement officers being pleasant and respectful is NOT what the standard protocol is here..........

Nice, except for the drinking and bumpfiring.........lets try to set a better example for the new shooters next time........

The drinking was AFTER the bumpfiring. I don't drink while shooting. After the deputy left and I put my rifles away, I did get good and wasted, though.

Bumping the rifle captured the hearts and imagination of these budding young shooters. Bad example? Ya, I suppose. But they seemed to enjoy it. They all wanted to know how I did it, and I wouldn't tell them, or let them try it. If we had a bigger backstop and were out a little further, I'd have let one of them have a go at it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:54:22 PM EDT

Paperz pleaze!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 8:56:28 PM EDT by rssc]
Last time I got an office out here for shooting a registered machinegun.

This is pretty much how it went:

"Are you shooting guns?"
"Yup"
"Are you shooting machineguns?"
"Yup, you want to see them?"
"Nope, what's your name?"
"rssc"
"OK, have a good evening rssc."

I've actually had the police come out 4 times or so. Each one of the experiences was pleasent. The majority of the time they wait at the end of the street, til we finish up shooting. Then come on over and see what's up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:57:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

Originally Posted By Jasba:

The drinking was AFTER the bumpfiring. I don't drink while shooting. After the deputy left and I put my rifles away, I did get good and wasted, though.

Bumping the rifle captured the hearts and imagination of these budding young shooters. Bad example? Ya, I suppose. But they seemed to enjoy it. They all wanted to know how I did it, and I wouldn't tell them, or let them try it. If we had a bigger backstop and were out a little further, I'd have let one of them have a go at it.

Oh.....thought the drinking was during not after.......cool......sounds like a great time then. Definately not a bad example if the booze was later......nice work.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:58:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:02:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 9:07:36 PM EDT by hughjafj]
Man, I can't wait to move to the country. I had my house up for sale all summer but had no takers, dammit!

Maybe I can make my dream come true next spring. I found a few houses that I wanted that had gun ranges all set up and everything too. I'm so sick of living in the city with crappy neighbors...

I can't wait to find a little slice of heaven with neighbors I actually am friends with, like you have. Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:03:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hughjafj:
Man, I can't wait to move to the country. I had my house up for sale all summer but had no takers, dammit!

Maybe I can make my dream come true next spring. I found a few houses that I wanted that had gun ranges all set up and everything too.

Any in NW Ohio? I'm renting this place.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:05:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 9:06:21 PM EDT by hughjafj]
Nah, these were in Saint Clair county in Michigan. About 20 miles north of me. I'm about 20 miles north of Detroit in a town named Mount Clemens.

One was 14.5 acres for 169000 dollars and the other was 5 acres for 139K.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:06:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:27:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:30:02 PM EDT
I live near Fulton county Illinois...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:34:16 PM EDT
River Bottom - typically a large, flat, field lying in the flood plain next to a river. Not to be confused with a creek bottom, which is a flat field next to a creek.

Shooting across a river bottom means, shooting across a flat field next to a river.

This is not the same as "shooting across the river"
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:21:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:

Originally Posted By crazyquik:

were sighting in bolt actions in an open river bottom

across the river bottom

Most places it is illegal to shoot across a body of water.

Even the Pease River?

How about at night with chem lights?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:05:45 AM EDT

Generally, a LEO is required to obtain that info for the disposition of the call. "Contacted Mr. ABC, OH DL 123xyz, who was shooting legal firearms in a legal manner. Back in Service."

Brian
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:21:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:

Originally Posted By crazyquik:

were sighting in bolt actions in an open river bottom

across the river bottom

Most places it is illegal to shoot across a body of water.

Well, now that you mention it...when the traffic on Lake Erie gets clsoe, there is a cease fire...at Camp Perry...during the National Matches. You see, EVERYONE there fires over this rather large body of water.

Firing over a public body of water is illegal in most places. But if you own both banks and the water isn't a "navigable stream", it is private water surface. Same for a lake/pond you own in total except you own the water too. In most places, streamflow cannot be interrupted so you only own what water is sourced on your property...but water laws vary with each state so consult a local expert.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:24:20 AM EDT
I have never had a LEO ask for my SSN and I doubt I would give it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:46:06 AM EDT

Yeah, turn a pleasant encounter with LE into a hostile one. What a great idea!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:13:56 AM EDT

I know in my unit, any time we go out to a call, we have to fill out a contact sheet. Just basic name, date, DOB, contact information, etc. Its more of a, "Hey, lets make sure the joes are working." by the brass.
Top Top