Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2001 3:38:51 PM EDT
I was reading the thread about National Defense force and in the requirements he put in a vision acuty of 20/200 thats crap. my vision is 20/20 but with out corection its 20/800 I wear contacts or tactical glasses depending on what im doing. I shoot straight and never have problems doing anything based on my vision. who the hell came up with that..I am not allowed to be a U.S. Marshal or a F.B.I. or other "Special" agent with the federal based law enforcement agencies based on my vision alone I am disqualified Its a discriminating rule and it sucks....just because I wear thick glasses dosnt mean im a nerd...well I am a nerd but thats besides the point.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
20/20 one eye, 20/30 uncorrectable other eye.  

The only time I've ever felt that my vision caused me a problem was when bureaucrats who never bothered to assess my flight skills decided that I couldn't fly commercially because I apparently do not measure up to their standards for carrying milk jugs and candy bars to remote northern communities for fun and profit.  Well, more accurately they permit me do it for fun but not for profit.  

Again: same plane, same payload, same flight - fun='legal' but fun+$1='not permitted due to risk of losing an eye.'  Though I don't recall ever seeing an accident report where a pilot in command lost an eye.

Happily, if I should someday lose an eye I'll have perfect 20/20 vision and can therefore take my commercial pilot's license.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
[size=6]I don't understand it either:

My vision is just fine.[/size=6]

Jay
Arizona

Life is hard:
It's harder if you're stupid
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#3]
One word: Lasik.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
And when the plane is pitching-yawing-rolling-tumbling around, your glasses fall off, and you're randomly shooting around like a Miami FBI agent. . . .
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I've heard several people complain about the vision requirements of my USNDF plan. Sorry guys I am just using the vision standards I had on hand. If some one wants to send me some info on updated vision standards or guidelines feel free to do so and I'll review it and forward it on. Don't want to exclude anyone who wants to train.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top