Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 9:37:48 AM EDT
I've started to pay more attention to the store copy of my credit card receipts.
I've noticed that some stores (IHOP and Quizno's come to mind) have all digits of my credit card and the exp. date printed on both the customer and store copy of the receipt.
This seems a little strange to me. Why would the store need the numbers and exp date when the number is checked "on line" against a database?
Additonally, my signature is on the receipt. Proof that I did indeed make the transaction in case I contest it.
Anyone here "in the know" on this one?  It just doesn't seem right to me.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Most places list the last 4 numbers
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It is typically a 'card processor use agreement" to only prnt the last 4 or 6 digits.
At least it works that way for our company.
It is part of the contract we signed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Slacker: That is dangerous. I would pay cash in those places or not patronize them. When they print both the full CC numbers and exp dates, people can assume your acct and charge stuff to it. I would watch your CC statements very carefully.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I've noticed some places print out the whole number plus the exp. date.  That is crazy! I usually shred those receipts before I throw them away.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree, having the store keep a copy of all 16 digits and the exp date is ripe for one of their employees to defraud you, but as a merchant, I can tell you it's awfully nice to have the info to correct a mistake. I run a standalone CC machine separtae from our registers, so employees typing in the wrong amount is not unheard of. When I find someone was overcharged, double charged, etc or some othe rhuman error made, it's nice to be able to just make a CC return to theier acct with the full 16 digits and exp date. I've had to call the credit card companies to fix this kind of error (say, when there's a paper jam and I don't have it), and I can tell you it's an exersize in headbanging the wall to try to get it fixed.

That said, if I had my druthers, the number would be suppresssed on both copies of the receipt, but the full # would print on the manager's report at the end of the night.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top