Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2004 4:16:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/15/2004 4:17:13 AM EST by DriftPunch]
A co-worker gave me her older Sony VAIO notebook computer with Windows 98, and wants me to make it so she can use AOL on the road. My question is, if all she does is read/write email within the AOL network, and doesn't surf the web, is there a vulnerability to viruses? I'm ot sure if an antivirus program is needed. Are there any shareware ones if so?
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 4:25:40 AM EST
Short answer: Yes. If you connect in any way shape or form to another computer or to the internet - you must use AV.
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 4:28:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Short answer: Yes. If you connect in any way shape or form to another computer or to the internet - you must use AV.

I was under the impression that they didn't do their DHCP thing until you left their network... The only way you could be touched in that case is if there was an internal AOL vulnerability, eh?
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 4:29:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
A co-worker gave me her older Sony VAIO notebook computer with Windows 98, and wants me to make it so she can use AOL on the road. My question is, if all she does is read/write email within the AOL network, and doesn't surf the web, is there a vulnerability to viruses? I'm ot sure if an antivirus program is needed. Are there any shareware ones if so?

Few viruses come from surfing the web. Most are carried by email and most at least appear from people you know so yes she needs AV software. You can get AVG Antivirus for free. AVG Antivirus
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 4:41:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Daggar:

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:

Few viruses come from surfing the web. Most are carried by email and most at least appear from people you know so yes she needs AV software. You can get AVG Antivirus for free. AVG Antivirus

Excellent...
Top Top