Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2006 7:10:12 PM EDT
Gangs now using machetes in Northern VA. Sounds like the US is turning into Africa or something. Let's pass a new law when something like this could easily fall under an existing one, like oh maybe, assault with a deadly weapon for instance.  

Anti-machete law stalled
State legislators say they must decide where bill fits into Virginia's legal code

Published: Thursday, March 2, 2006 9:47 PM EST

Lt. Bobby Shirley, of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department, examines graffiti near where MS-13 gang members are known to congregate. A bill aimed at limiting machete violence among gangs has stalled in the state legislature. - AP
A bill many in Northern Virginia hope would limit gang violence has stalled in Richmond, with the primary difference being what part of the legal code it should fall under.

One version of the bill addresses the "intent to intimidate," while a second calls for the "brandishing" of a machete to be a crime.

While it may not sound like much of a distinction, the two provisions fall under different parts of Virginia law, and legislators say they need to be hammered out before a bill can be approved.

"The primary difference is in the fear factor," said Del. Vivian Watts, D-Annandale. "Gangs use machetes because it helps to create a gruesome picture in the mind of people - more than, say, the click of a switchblade would."

But a state senator wants to equate the machete to a handgun when it comes to brandishing. It would be a crime to show a machete from a distance and cause another person to feel he or she is in immediate physical harm, said Sen. Linda Puller, D-Mount Vernon.

"We've been told by the Fairfax County police that they don't really care what bill gets passed so long as one does," Puller said. "What we have to focus on now in conference is making sure we don't lose the whole thing."

Both Watts and Puller said that while the wording is different, the penalties under both existing codes to which lawmakers are trying to affix the machete offense are the same.

A decision on which bill will win out could be made within a week, lawmakers said.

Machete Bill

- The bill targets MS-13 and South Side Locos gangs.

- Victims of gang violence in Northern Virginia have lost fingers and had hands severed in machete attacks.

- It is already illegal to carry concealed machete; the new bills call for additional penalties.

- Under the bill, the crime would be a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year behind bars. If a machete is used criminally within 1,000 feet of a school, the crime would become a felony.

http://www.dcexaminer.com/articles/2006/03/02/news/n_virginia_news/03anewsv03machete.txt
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucking idiots.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't a "deadly weapon" a "deadly weapon"?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember just a few months ago how we were all laughing at the British because they wanted to ban kitchen knives.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
From my cold dead hands.

National Machete Association speaks out against machete-control legislation

Those fuckers wont take my machete without a fight.

I seriously own two machetes, one military surplus, 18in blade no handguard, and the other one is a 22in blade with a handguard.

Machetes kick ass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Gangs now using machetes in Northern VA. Sounds like the US is turning into mexico Africa or something.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Im starting a hoe gang...

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm TOTALLY worried about the machette-show loop hole.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

images.lowes.com/product/049206/049206184053.jpg?wid=158&cvt=jpeg

These already exist, but are not legal in most places.  Mmmmm, smell the tuna.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gangs now using machetes in Northern VA. Sounds like the US is turning into mexico Africa or something.

I was hoping I could post it before you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was hoping I could post it before you.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious, wasn't it? Someone call the president and tell him illegals are BAD
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Virginia already has a 3.5" limit on knives
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#12]
by the time the law passes the criminals with machettes will be well protected from the law abiding machette owners of America.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

images.lowes.com/product/049206/049206184053.jpg?wid=158&cvt=jpeg

So you're gonna be a Pimp?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's not a knife, that's nail clippers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
So does anyone know if there are any laws against open carry of machetes at National Parks.

When I went to Big Bend last summer with my friends, I had my machete on hanging off my LBE, nobody gave me any trouble and none of the hikers I saw there seemed to care.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#16]
"We've been told by the Fairfax County police that they don't really care what bill gets passed so long as one does," Puller said. "What we have to focus on now in conference is making sure we don't lose the whole thing."

Well don't I feel all safe now....just pass ANYTHING!

And for the record, the kid who got his hands chopped off here in Fairfax County by the MS-13 assholes?

That happened 2 blocks from my house.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
]Anti-machete law stalled

SNIP

http://www.dcexaminer.com/articles/2006/03/02/news/n_virginia_news/03anewsv03machete.txt

the police always bitch about nonsense laws but they sure the fuck don't ever oppose new ones unless it expands peoples rights  can't have that  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#18]
When machetes are outlawed, only outlaws will have machetes.

Don't any of you gun owners remember the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indy faces the two turbaned fellows with the swords?  Gun beats sword like scissors beats paper...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I imagine that some of them carry guns for the times when they come up against an armed opponent

But, the machete has the advantage (the rest of the time) of NOT making a big noise to draw witnesses
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#20]
So, is this a interstate commerce thing, cause you know they could just bend a flat out of a leaf spring and up the US parts count...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#21]
This country deserves to be overwhelmed by the criminals, terrorists, and lawyers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Who sells the most tactical machetes? Need to buy some quick, gotta get a pre ban.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:34:50 AM EDT
[#23]
The solution is to demonstrate in a graphic manner why the MS-13ers shouldn't bring a machette to a gunfight.

In other words, shoot the sumbitches.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder when they are going to ban compact assault pitch-forks
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:39:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

And trowels.

Don't forget the trowels.

Especially the "assault" trowels with the serrated edges...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:40:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I remember just a few months ago how we were all laughing at the British because they wanted to ban kitchen knives.....

This should conclusively demonstrate that Virginia is NOT A RED STATE.

It is a barely red state, and as you can see, there is a significant ammount of dumb in this state which has been imported from DC and points north.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:42:39 AM EDT
[#27]
If I get a chance, I'll post a pic of my armory later today
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:43:31 AM EDT
[#28]

bu - bu - but... i thought gangs were going to disappear when switch-blades were outlawed?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW, we don't really have Mexicans in this area. They're Slavadoran, Hondouran, etc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:44:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm TOTALLY worried about the machette-show loop hole.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:46:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a barely red state, and as you can see, there is a significant ammount of dumb in this state which has been imported from DC and points north.

Yeah it is looking more and more as if Virginia is on the breaking point, just look who we elected as Governor.  Kaine wouldn't have a chance in hell in Alabama or Florida.  I am afraid Virginia will become like all of the other blue states, rural conservatives whom are dominated by big city liberals.  Should laws get oppresive I will be heading south.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:47:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Hmm, a pitch fork with a bayonet lug.

Be right back, I see a potential business opportunity here.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quick! Invest in pre-ban machettes!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Yeah it is looking more and more as if Virginia is on the breaking point, just look who we elected as Governor.  Kaine wouldn't have a chance in hell in Alabama or Florida.  I am afraid Virginia will become like all of the other blue states, rural conservatives whom are dominated by big city liberals.  Should laws get oppresive I will be heading south.

Hell, if the state that was home to Jefferson, Washington, Madison and several other of the great founders of our society can't hold water enough to do the right thing, then the whole nation is lost.

I will be going south too.

To New Zealand.

They can buy machine guns down there.

True story:

I know a New Zealander who is working in the US that owns a FULL WWII MACHINE GUN COLLECTION in his home there. I am talking Stmg 44s, the WORKS.

I was talking about my Bushmaster and his EXACT words were:

"Well I don't see why you need one of those assault weapons, mate. Those things are dangerous to have available!"

Some gun owners, even ones with cool toys, are dumber than a box of rocks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#35]
When will the madness end?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:56:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Typical dumb ass politicians.  I hear they are using spoons too.  Let's outlaw spoons.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:04:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Maybe it's me but i think you guys need to lighten up. The bill as i read it doen't outlaw machetes, it makes the brandishing of them illegal. In Virginia, carrying a handgun is not illegal, but brandishing one is.

Chill out.

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Maybe it's me but i think you guys need to lighten up. The bill as i read it doen't outlaw machetes, it makes the brandishing of them illegal. In Virginia, carrying a handgun is not illegal, but brandishing one is.

Chill out.

Bomber

Brandishing a machete is ALREADY illegal.

They are trying to make it more illegal.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#40]
last time I checked, assault and murder were already illegal...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chill out.

Bomber

Brandishing a machete is ALREADY illegal.

They are trying to make it more illegal.

No they are trying to make it specifically illegal. It takes away any doubt.

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Do tell?   Never seen anything except the limit on non-tradesmen in schools.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We've been there, remember Doug Wilder? It runs in cycles.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be incomplete information. You can have knives as long as you want. Over 3.5" they have to be visibly recognizable as a knife (IOW open carry). There are other restrictions on where you can carry knives like Federal Buildings and schools.

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/DSC00060.jpg
Mine....

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/DSC00057.jpg
Hers...
'
Deadly British 'Assault Diving Knife 'and 'Assault Axe', No licence required

ANdy

Give it time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be incomplete information. You can have knives as long as you want. Over 3.5" they have to be visibly recognizable as a knife (IOW open carry). There are other restrictions on where you can carry knives like Federal Buildings and schools.

Bomber

I'm not being a smartass, but can you show me where you found that? All I can find is this about concealed carry:

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

I don't see anything specifying blade lengths. Also you can see that concealing a machete is already illegal.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#47]
All I have is a steak knife and a lockblade.

Quoted:
Who sells the most tactical machetes? Need to buy some quick, gotta get a pre ban.

If you want “tactical” then get one that’s designed for cutting and piercing flesh, not one that’s made for clearing brush.

http://www.christianfletcher.com/Catalog/Swords/Atrim.html

Angus Trim makes blades that are designed to be used, proper heat treating, good steel, well designed blade harmonics, etc. (Sword people cut targets like firearms people punch holes in targets.) And Christian Fletcher makes scabbards and fancy hilts to fit them.

Other companies do the same thing, Albion and Arms & Armor, just to name two.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Isn't a "deadly weapon" a "deadly weapon"?

Nope.  Remember Reginald Denny? The jury decided a brick thrown to the head wasnt a deadly weapon.  However if bricks had been listed in the penal code as deadly weapons they wouldnt have had that option.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#49]
They should make it illegal to assault and/or kill someone.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

thats a good one!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top