Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 6:46:48 PM EDT
www.wjla.com/news/stories/0105/199604.html

Brothers of AR15.com keep these two brave crew members in your thoughts and prayers.
I actually work in the dispatch center who handles this a/c and I was on duty last night when this happened.
It's been a depressing experience for everyone involved. Many of us have been close to tears as we read news reports and watch videos.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:50:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:50:45 PM EDT
U of Michigan also lost one of their Bells a few years back.  Loss of all on board, including the pilots and the medical team.  Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:17:26 PM EDT
Thank you guys
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:21:04 PM EDT
Prayers on the way...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:34:15 PM EDT
North MS Medical Center had their helicopter crash here a couple of weeks ago. The news said that the same company did the maintenance for it and the VA helicopter.

Is it time to ground their choppers for some sort of intense inspection?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:41:51 PM EDT
Btownboy, does the nurse, Jonathan Godfrey, do volunteer work anywhere here in Virginia? The
name sounds awfully familiar.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 1:50:11 AM EDT by 199]
Really tragic.  

Kinda sounds like they hit a crane.

It’s fortunate someone saw it go down and reported it - sounds like the lone survivor was hurt pretty badly and, of course, was trying to stay afloat in the water.  Doubt he would have lasted very long.

That’s always struck me as a pretty dangerous job!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:19:00 PM EDT
Damn That sucks  

Prayers sent
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:32:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanker06:
Btownboy, does the nurse, Jonathan Godfrey, do volunteer work anywhere here in Virginia? The

Honestly I'm not sure. The majority of our flight crews also work in hospitals as well.

I thank everyone for the prayers.

Jon Godfrey is expected to make a full recovery. RIP Nikki.
Hopefully they find Joe soon. His family needs closure.

All three of these are great individuals and I have had the pleasure of speaking to them many times. Was a terrible loss for everyone involved
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:34:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wittzo:
North MS Medical Center had their helicopter crash here a couple of weeks ago. The news said that the same company did the maintenance for it and the VA helicopter.

Is it time to ground their choppers for some sort of intense inspection?

Not so sure about that. We have our own mechanics for each a/c who are employed by Airmethods. But every programs is a little different
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:43:28 PM EDT
I hear medical helos go down more than any other helo.  Very sad.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:48:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Misery:
I hear medical helos go down more than any other helo.  Very sad.

There are usually a lot of medical helos in the air at one time. Sometimes the numbers just catch up to you
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:11:11 AM EDT
btt for the day crew. Have a good one guys
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:29:29 AM EDT

Heard on the radio that he was from right here in Richmond...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:39:41 AM EDT
I'm sorry to hear that.

Flying those choppers in an urban setting is pretty dangerous becasue of the number obstacles that has to be avoided.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:47:43 AM EDT
It only a matter of time with the number of missions flown.  Things happen that you have no control over.  Most of the pilots are ex-military and are very good.  But it is damn tight to get into some of the suburban hospitals.  The UM copter has to hover and drop straight down into a hole.  He has about 20 feet clearance all the way around before he starts hitting trees, houses and hospital.  Then there are weather related problems and maintance.  But they save hundreds if lives every year and if you are in a serious accident youll thank God there are such people to help you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:13:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 6:15:33 PM EDT by wittzo]
There was a report on the local news about the preliminary accident report on the NMMC helicopter crash.
The mechanic said that the pilot reported a problem when he was on the ground at a car accident.I think they transported the victim and the medical crew with an ambulance. The mechanic that came to check it out offered to drive the pilot back to the hospital in his truck and come back to fix the helicopter when it stopped raining, but the pilot was concerned that the field he was in would flood so he was going to fly it to a nearby air strip or a parking lot. Witnesses said the helicopter was having trouble getting to altitude and then they lost sight of it. No one saw the crash. This was in Prentiss County, MS. They aren't finished with the investigation, the "black box" was damaged or destroyed, I missed that part. wtva.com
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:15:08 PM EDT
As I understand it, it was pilot error.  A large crane involved in bridge construction was struck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:06:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
As I understand it, it was pilot error.  A large crane involved in bridge construction was struck.

If you were referring to the Life Evac crash, they flight crew apparently was ordered to down to a 200 foot flight deck by the control tower.  They normally only go down to between 300 and 500 feet in that area if there is air traffic from the local airport.

Not sure saying pilot error is correct at this time however, statements have been made the cranes on the Maryland side may not have been lit.  But regardless of what happened it is a sad day in the medical community.  Never met Joe, did meet Nikki and Jonathan good people. RIP Nikki
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:51:31 PM EDT
It sucks,,but then again comes with the teritory. still not the most dangerous job in town. but my prayers are with them and those that are actually in harms way,,bravo to all!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:00:52 PM EDT
Sorry to hear of it.  Very dangerous work indeed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:23:50 PM EDT
Pilot's body recovered

They have found the body of the pilot, Joseph Schaefer, still strapped into his seat, about 40 feet
from the point of impact.

It turns out, in talking to one of the guys, Joe was one of our guys, not the surviving nurse. Joe had
been one of our Paramedics, left about two years ago due to work, but was supposed to be coming
back to run calls again.

RIP Joe....
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:24:16 AM EDT

Pilot's body recovered

They have found the body of the pilot, Joseph Schaefer, still strapped into his seat, about 40 feet
from the point of impact.

It turns out, in talking to one of the guys, Joe was one of our guys, not the surviving nurse. Joe had
been one of our Paramedics, left about two years ago due to work, but was supposed to be coming
back to run calls again.

RIP Joe....

Yes RIP Joe, and Nikki. Hopefully Jon has a speedy recovery as well. Talking to the program director for them last night wasn't fun either. You could tell the weight of the world was on him
Top Top