Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2016 9:06:27 AM EDT
Thoughts on this ?

I have mixed feelings about this bill being discussed to keep police officers information secret. Not a troll thread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2016/02/24/secret-police-virginia-considers-bill-to-withhold-all-officers-names/

Edit to hot link and spelling
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#1]
No mixed feelings here. The more you obscure the police the more distrust will follow. Vicious downward circle.

Oh and in before they are more equal animals.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No mixed feelings here. The more you obscure the police the more distrust will follow. Vicious downward circle.

Oh and in before they are more equal animals.
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
So VA wants a "secret police" force.  History would indicate that this is not in the best interest of VA citizens.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The only people in VA who face danger are police.  We must protect them at all cost.  And serve them too.  To serve and protect after all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#5]
It's going to be fascinating to see how this gets abused.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't solve a single problem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#7]
If memory serves it's due to some liberal rag in Roanoke wanting to print their names/home addresses. Sorta along the same lines as the same rag printing CHP holder's names/home addresses.

I've no problem with that as it's none of my affair where the po-po lives.

Piss on the Roanoke Times and Washington Post.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]
We in Virginia are constantly inundated with Corrupt Cop stories every week.

I guess the COP MAFIA FEELS got hurts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wut?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Copy and pasted from a repost thread.

As with anything, there is always the potential for abuse but I do support protections in place where a legitimate threat of retaliation exists. Known gang members, persons with a history of violence against police, when specific threats are made, and sovereign citizens for examples.

As someone stated above, this is just backlash from the left's attempt to turn the public against LE.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Bad idea and probably not even doable in the modern information age.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Mean while in Alabama I was injured on the job and the media prints my full name.

Is Virginia police going to stop wearing name tags?
Or is it when some one randomly request all police names and addresses?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Secret police? Never been done befo... Oh wait.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bad idea and probably not even doable in the modern information age.
View Quote

I mentioned in another thread....my brother is a Trooper in another state.  One day he was mentioned to me the "protection" he has within his state etc.  5 minutes later I emailed him a copy of his wedding license with his home address that I pulled from his clerk of courts website.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mean while in Alabama I was injured on the job and the media prints my full name.

View Quote

I haven't read the bill, but my understanding is that the bill is designed for the bit in red.  It's probably simply to prevent a FOIA-like request for the names, addresses, etc. of a police agency's officers. It's likely not designed to keep police officers "secret" is such, but it's designed to keep news media or "news" "media" from compiling a list of names and addresses of police officers and disseminating it to anyone and everyone.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thoughts on this ?
View Quote

The KKK wore masks for a reason, and it is mixed, not mix.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thoughts on this ?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
They gonna sneak into a private airport and fly this into work every day?  

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I haven't read the bill, but my understanding is that the bill is designed for the bit in red.  It's probably simply to prevent a FOIA-like request for the names, addresses, etc. of a police agency's officers. It's likely not designed to keep police officers "secret" is such, but it's designed to keep news media or "news" "media" from compiling a list of names and addresses of police officers and disseminating it to anyone and everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like how the state shares its database of CHP holders with the Maryland State Police and the New Jersey State police?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#21]
This certainly will help ease the 'us vs them' conflict.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

We are?  Guess I'm not paying attention.

I have no problems with addresses not being releasable.  Names, on the other hand... I think we have the right to know the names of the people we employ.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#24]
"There's a police cruiser parked in the driveway every day, I wonder if he is a police officer?"

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have no problems with addresses not being releasable.  Names, on the other hand... I think we have the right to know the names of the people we employ.
View Quote

This.

Addresses?  No, fuck that shit... government shouldn't ever release anyone's address to anyone.  But names, yeah, we should be able to access that information.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Aren't undercover officer's names/identities already protected?

If there is an issue of abuse of power, wouldn't a badge number suffice?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They gonna sneak into a private airport and fly this into work every day?  

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/lkfcmwypvobe4v7sm0vl.jpg
View Quote

A great test to see if you watch too many History Channel UFO shows is that you know right away that's the Vegas to Edwards/Area 51 plane.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This.

Addresses?  No, fuck that shit... government shouldn't ever release anyone's address to anyone.  But names, yeah, we should be able to access that information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

If I know your name and the general area where you live, I can find your address 99% of the time and verify it in various ways, if I want to. So can anybody with a modicum of internet skill.

As somebody already said, it's a waste of time in the Internet age.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've got mixed feelings about this.

No I don't think some paper should be able to get all the cops information and publish it just because they are cops like that paper in TX threatened to do a few weeks back.
View Quote

Same here, it's hard to say without reading the actual bill. As usual the media plays with words "secret police".
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You mean like how the state shares its database of CHP holders with the Maryland State Police and the New Jersey State police?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may live in VA, but I don't have a VA permit (still officially a MI resident - I'm here for school), so I don't know about what VSP/VA does with CHP info. But if they do that, I'm not a fan.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If I know your name and the general area where you live, I can find your address 99% of the time and verify it in various ways, if I want to. So can anybody with a modicum of internet skill.

View Quote

Absolutely... but that would make the government providing address information an even bigger waste, wouldn't it?  

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I see positives and negatives to this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Of course you can.

I have major doubts about the ability of the average meth head being able to do the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course you can.

I have major doubts about the ability of the average meth head being able to do the same.

I think the number of meth heads who would be aware of and be able to access a newspaper database, or be able to draft a coherent FOIA request, is pretty much zero as well. If they can do either of those two things, they can find you on the Internet, too, if they know your name and the general area where you live.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I may live in VA, but I don't have a VA permit (still officially a MI resident - I'm here for school), so I don't know about what VSP/VA does with CHP info. But if they do that, I'm not a fan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do.   And I'm not a fan of it either.  

There was a bill to prohibit sharing of CHP info with states we don't have reciprocity with, but I think it died.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

They wholesale share it with out-of-state LE agencies. People with VA plates get harassed by MD state police and grilled about guns as a result.

If a reciprocal state wants non-routine access to the database to verify permits if needed, that's fine. But just giving it to everyone is bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Well duh, but is your average cracked out thug going to search off of just Officer Mototard? I doubt it.
But when a news paper or anonymous prints out a list of full names and addresses it's a bit different.

Isn't really that hard to understand, it's not like it's a real estate contract.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok I read through this. They want to remove "names" of the officers. I totally understand doing this for their address but just making a name secret? WTF.

The Virginia Senate has already approved Senate Bill 552, which would classify the names of all police officers and fire marshals as “personnel records,” exempting them from mandatory disclosure under the state’s freedom of information law
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well duh, but is your average cracked out thug going to search off of just Officer Mototard? I doubt it.
But when a news paper or anonymous prints out a list of full names and addresses it's a bit different.

View Quote

And if said newspaper gets that info through their own (legal) investigation, they can go ahead and print it, no matter how much that sucks.  

But the government damn sure shouldn't just hand it over if asked... names yes, addresses no.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They wholesale share it with out-of-state LE agencies. People with VA plates get harassed by MD state police and grilled about guns as a result.

If a reciprocal state wants non-routine access to the database to verify permits if needed, that's fine. But just giving it to everyone is bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wholeheartedly agree.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And if said newspaper gets that info through their own (legal) investigation, they can go ahead and print it, no matter how much that sucks.  

But the government damn sure shouldn't just hand it over if asked... names yes, addresses no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would be the point of plublishing such an article? No different than publishing a list of CCW names and address. The only point is to harass the individuals on the list, putting them and their family's in unnesecary danger.
Would you be ok with your local news or Anonymous posting your name and address because you have a CCW no matter how they legally achieved the list?

Both examples are BS and should not be published. If a cop or CCW is being investigated for crimes I have no issue with their name being listed in a news article.
But plublishing their name and address is crossing the line.

I've never seen a list of all convicted felons names and address plublished. Even then there is zero point in that list (yes sexual predators are posted and for a damn good reason).
ETA
Sexual predators should be executed or fair game to victims and victims families. Just my 2 cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top