Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 11:53:01 PM EDT
Feel good story maybe, but interesting nontheless...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/04/florida.jail.attack/index.html

Cliffs:
Deputy gets whomped on. Orangesuits step in against one of their own, and put some whoopass on his attacker.

Dupe police FOAD.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Really dont understand how these guys wanted to help when they did pretty much the same thing to somebody else.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Really dont understand how these guys wanted to help when they did pretty much the same thing to somebody else.

They helped, period.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I bet some one wants to get let out early. And get better food.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. I wonder how well liked that jailer was amongst the inmates. If he was well liked, maybe they didn't want to see his ass beat by some new flunky in the mix? Hoping to keep some special treatment, perhaps?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Doubt that was their reasoning.  That all went way too fast to rationalize something like that it.  From the sound of it the inmates just think he's a good guy.  It was also a good opportunity to rumble without getting in any trouble.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The deputy probably treated the inmates decently and they repaid the favor...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#7]

I'm going to say they want something. Don't know what, but they're not in prison for random acts of kindness.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#8]
According to the video he was just a well liked guy. While I have no sympathy for them being in jail, they deserve it, I think the jailer most likely treated them decently and they returned the favor.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doubt that was their reasoning.  That all went way too fast to rationalize something like that it.  From the sound of it the inmates just think he's a good guy.  It was also a good opportunity to rumble without getting in any trouble.

I didn't even think about that angle.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:35:08 AM EDT
[#10]
In the facility I work in, a few years ago we had a douchbag try and pull one of our female COs into a cell. You can imagine what he had in mind. Anyway, a couple of federal inmates we were housing stopped the attack....much to the chagrin and damage to the douchbag.

I was shift supervisor and had to interview the inmates for the report. They stated that an attack of that nature would bring more trouble to them and they were not about to loose their good time over an unprovoked attack on a CO. They stated they knew what kind of trouble that would bring and they wanted no part of it. The offending douchbag had to be taken to the ER to get patched up. He was subsequently placed in seg for a loooong time. The two feds were then moved by the USMS to another facility.

It has been my experience that inmates generally will not tolerate this kind of attack on a CO who has not provoked it by being a dick. They understand COs who do the job and enforce rules...but they will not tolerate a dick.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They helped, period.

Hoping for sentence "lightening" or to avoid CO retribution, I doubt they did this to be good samaritans.    

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:00:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Even criminals have a code of honor, ya know.  They arent all psychopaths that feed on other peoples suffering 24/7.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#13]
for those that might know.. is this also a respect begets respect situation as well?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#14]
My CO buddies say the old school guys and lifers don't want there to be any drama and are constantly keeping the punks in line.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They helped, period.

Hoping for sentence "lightening" or to avoid CO retribution, I doubt they did this to be good samaritans.    

Was that why they did it? I dont know, I wasnt there
. Could be a lot of reasons why they helped. Im just glad that they did, and the guard got out alive.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been in that jail.  Not a nice place ...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:24:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's a county jail, not supermax. Did they say in the tv segment they were "violent"?

Our county is pretty rural, probably 2/3s of the guys are in their for nonviolent crimes, dwi, child support, drug sales, theft etc. I wouldn't trust any of those guys to watch my cat for the weekend, or even to walk around the corner and buy a newspaper and bring it back to me without getting in trouble, but I don't know that they would let a guard be strangled.

Did you watch it? Yes. They did.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:25:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's a county jail, not supermax. Did they say in the tv segment they were "violent"?

Our county is pretty rural, probably 2/3s of the guys are in their for nonviolent crimes, dwi, child support, drug sales, theft etc. I wouldn't trust any of those guys to watch my cat for the weekend, or even to walk around the corner and buy a newspaper and bring it back to me without getting in trouble, but I don't know that they would let a guard be strangled.

Yes, one attempted murder, one home invasion and one assault & battery...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:25:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:23:02 AM EDT
[#21]
That's good to see some honorable behavior from people we wouldn't naturally expect it from.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:31:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Can't hurt their situation any
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
for those that might know.. is this also a respect begets respect situation as well?

Yes, most likely.  With some shitstains if you treat them like a human being and with respect you'll get alot back in return.

HOWEVER, please refer to that first part of my sentance......shitstain.   NEVER forget that is what they are.  Never trust your CI that much....don't think for a second that they won't turn on you.

Same thing with my Iraqi Police counter parts and my interpreters I had overseas.  I had a great deal of respect for them.  We liked each other alot.......but I never forgot who they were.  When we traveled the country together setting up police departments and they stayed on US FOB's and outposts with us there was always a "firewatch guard" in the tent.......and it wasn't because we were worried about a fire.

They did a respectable thing.......but don't forget who they are.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#24]
They stated that an attack of that nature would bring more trouble to them and they were not about to loose their good time over an unprovoked attack on a CO.

That.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They stated that an attack of that nature would bring more trouble to them and they were not about to loose their good time over an unprovoked attack on a CO.

That.

+1

Being locked down and eating Johnnys 3 times a day isn't much fun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:40:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

According to the video he was just a well liked guy. While I have no sympathy for them being in jail, they deserve it, I think the jailer most likely treated them decently and they returned the favor.

My first fight in jail as a deputy was strictly on my own.  The prisoners stood by to see how I was going to handle it.  It was done by the book.  I won.  I guess I really didn't have any option but winning.

The next time I got in a scrape I got some help from a guy waiting on a transfer to state prison on a murder conviction.  He got a Mountain Dew and a couple of cigarettes during a walk outside for his trouble.  Nice guy, poor decision making skills, but a really nice fellow.

Most prisoners will stand back but some will jump in to help if you are known for treating them fairly.  This isn't so true in a state prison but in a county jail the rules are a bit different.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top