Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2005 5:38:45 AM EDT
Was it the break down in civil society and the armed gangs that made the rescue effort a scandal, or was it poor planning on the city, state, and federal level? Which one of these is the main reason the rescue didn't really go full tilt for 4 days?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:48:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 5:50:22 AM EDT by FooBarBaz]
<edited, nevermind, I don't have anything to say worth reading.>
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:25:55 AM EDT
I think it was a combination of both. The violence should have been responded to immediately. There should have been a tone set that looting/violence wont be tolerated. Local authorities should have been given the ability to handle the violence harshly. They should have detained everyone causing problems not just making a few drop the stuff. Trying to nuance food looting and luxury looting doesnt work. Food looting led to luxury looting led to the mindset that anything goes. Blood is on the hands of the looters. They caused delays, they caused a fear in people so the ones that wanted to get out were in fear. Also I believe that there were a lot of very stupid people there. I was pissed when I saw that people were so stupid to try to ride out a cat 5 hurricane below sea level with children and no supplies. I think their dependence on government is totally blind. When I hear some stories from people who got out by themselves I think of them as very brave. But the great majority just sat down and decided to wait for someone to help them instead of trying to do something on their own. There was a total lack of preperation from those that tried to wait ride it out. If everyone there had only stored one aquatainer (7gals that you could have picked up at wal mart) and $20 dollars in canned goods almost everyone but the ones in a hospital would be fine. I cant believe how many people just thought that after the storm the authorities would drive in and just pick them up and assign a new home to them and tell them what and where checks will be delivered. As I know, the govnt can help but it needs some time. It wont ever be immediate. To think otherwise is total stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:40:08 AM EDT
I have inside word that the mayor either failed to plan or did not care about his police force, so half of them walked off the job. Failure to reinforce the levee's caused the current problem and it seems that the mayor did not care enough to get it fixed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:22:06 AM EDT
Hmmm... I'd have to say 90,000 square miles of destruction over 3 states + existing efforts from the previous hit in Florida + massive flooding restricting transport means and paths + bridges destroyed had a lot to do with it.

Reinforce the levees? They were build for a Cat 3 hurricane long ago - setting up for a strong Cat 4 (or worse, a Cat 5) is expensive - and if you really want to get down to it, wouldn't you bring the rest of the Gulf Coast up as well?

Going after looters at first? There were, in the first couple days, extremely limited resources - perhaps 2000 cops, and not much else, for a few hundred thousand people. The mayor early on made the decision that rescuing people was more important than going after people who were - according to the reports I saw at the time - doing a lot of stealing (much of it food and water, some pharmacy), and not much shooting. This shifted after rescue forces starting taking fire.

Oh - and they had some portion of resources trying to repair the floodwall breaches, so they can start draining the water.

Preposition 20,000 troops in NOLA... before you know if NOLA would survive? Seems rather... silly.

Mandatory evacuation order earlier - that would have made sense, yes, but I don't hear many stories of people that didn't have time to get out, only about those who chose to stay, or couldn't have left anyway (except - for some - by walking).

Moving people in takes time... and moving people and their supplies in takes more time, particularly with very few ways in and out.
Top Top