Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2006 5:56:24 AM EDT
VINCE IS STOOPID?

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six!  That's bad.  It's beyond bad.  In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it.

We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2, including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices.  We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right.  

Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic.  For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary.

The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months.  

He just kissed millions of dollars out the window!  6/50? I think you could have just picked the first answer for each and did better.  Stoopid is as stoopid does.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:58:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
VINCE IS STOOPID?

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six!  That's bad.  It's beyond bad.  In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it.

We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2, including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices.  We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right.  

Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic.  For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary.

The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months.  

He just kissed millions of dollars out the window!  6/50? I think you could have just picked the first answer for each and did better.  Stoopid is as stoopid does.

He never did that in college....no reason to think he's going to do it in the NFL.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have been suprised to see him go number one on the strength of one game anyway,if this is true he will be lucky to even be in the first round.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#3]
What draft position did Ricky Williams have?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I am going to look forward to see what Marcus Vick scores.  He will probably set a new low.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is another wonderful example of why sports in schools should be eliminated.  I am thinking this poor guy went through 15  years of school doing nothing but playing football.  What a waste.  But then again, it was his choice.  

I am sure some nice "investment advisor" can help him invest his money into something profitable.  20 years from now this guy is going to be on welfare.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Speaks well for UT. I wonder if he would have graduated had he stayed another year
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am going to look forward to see what Marcus Vick scores.  He will probably set a new low.

Problaby right there, he became the TO of college. Drafting him will be like traveling on horseback with 100yo dynamite, you never know when it will go off.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:42:23 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys have to remember that most of these guys DO NOT take this test seriously at all. Whether they should or not is open to debate but for the most part this test does not affect draft status very much. In addition, this test is a VERY POOR predictor of future NFL performance.

For example, Dan Marino got a 14 out of 50 on this test and I think he did okay in the pros.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#10]
He's not that great to be begin with. USC handed them that game when they went for it on fourth down in the last minutes. I have no idea why Pete Carrol just did not punt the damn ball. It was that call that cost USC the game.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]
This guy has a degree?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This guy has a degree?

HELL'S KNOW BEYOTCH!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#13]
What are you even talking about Spongehead?

Texas (i.e. Vince Young) was marching down the field the ENTIRE second half with ease. VY was completely shredding that defense.

Pete Carroll made the right call. Six inches for a championship with a monster offensive line and a first round pick RB in Lendale White. It didnt work out. It was still the right call.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You guys have to remember that most of these guys DO NOT take this test seriously at all. Whether they should or not is open to debate but for the most part this test does not affect draft status very much. In addition, this test is a VERY POOR predictor of future NFL performance.

For example, Dan Marino got a 14 out of 50 on this test and I think he did okay in the pros.

I disagree. They take this very seriously because it test your ability to think under pressure.  You have 50 questions to answer in 12 minutes.  

In todays NFL football with West Coast offenses and complicated defense schemes, you just cant come out to the line and QB sneak the ball.  He may get away with it for a few plays, but these guys are the best of the best from college, they will shut him down and send him to the locker with an injury.

You have to be able to think, adjust the play, read coverage schemes.  You cant have a retard be a NFL QB anymore.

Those few points in this meaningless test as you point out will cost him draft position which in turn will cost him MILLIONs of dollars in contract and signing bonuses.

Its not to say he may do well,  but there is no comparison between VY and Dan Marino.  I cant believe you would even compare VY to a hall of famer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Texas (i.e. Vince Young) was marching down the field the ENTIRE second half with ease. VY was completely shredding that defense.

Pete Carroll made the right call. Six inches for a championship with a monster offensive line and a first round pick RB in Lendale White. It didnt work out. It was still the right call.

+1.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Uh........ What's a Wonderlic test?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Don't know, but it must have something to do with Michael Jackson.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Given to them during their NFL interviews.

50 questions, 12 minutes to answer.  Basic logic and problem solving questions.  Not that difficult for someone who has completed college or even high school.

here is an example.

espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I guess that explains why he was never bright enough to check down to a number 2 or 3 receiver and would always just take off an run the ball.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#20]

See how you score on some examples from a Wonderlic IQ test.

Set your clock for five minutes, don't peek at the answers, and ... oh, yeah, run the 40 and give us some bench-presses first, would ya?

The Wonderlic Personnel Test ™
WPT ™ Sample Questions

1. Look at the row of numbers below. What number should come next?
8  4  2  1  ½  ¼  ?  

2. Assume the first two statements are true. Is the final one:
1. true,  2. false,  3. not certain?  
The boy plays baseball. All baseball players wear hats. The boy wears a hat.

3. Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will four pads cost?

4. How many of the five pairs of items listed below are exact duplicates?
Nieman, K.M.  Neiman, K.M.  
Thomas, G.K.  Thomas, C.K.  
Hoff, J.P.  Hoff, J.P.  
Pino, L.R.  Pina, L.R.  
Warner, T.S.  Wanner, T.S.  

5. RESENT RESERVE • Do these words
1. have similar meanings, 2. have contradictory meanings, 3. mean neither the same nor opposite?

6. One of the numbered figures in the following drawing is most different from the others. What is the number in that figure?

7. A train travels 20 feet in 1/5 second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in three seconds?

8. When rope is selling at $.10 a foot, how many feet can you buy for sixty cents?

9. The ninth month of the year is
1. October,  2. January,  3. June,  4. September,  5 May.  

10. Which number in the following group of numbers represents the smallest amount?
7  .8  31  .33  2  

11. In printing an article of 48,000 words, a printer decides to use two sizes of type. Using the larger type, a printed page contains 1,800 words. Using smaller type, a page contains 2,400 words. The article is allotted 21 full pages in a magazine. How many pages must be in smaller type?

12. The hours of daylight and darkness in SEPTEMBER are nearest equal to the hours of daylight and darkness in:
1. June,  2. March,  3. May,  4. November.  

13. Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does X receive than if the profits were divided in proportion to the amount invested?

14. Assume the first two statements are true. Is the final one:
1. true,  2. false,  3. not certain?  
Tom greeted Beth. Beth greeted Dawn. Tom did not greet Dawn.

15. A boy is 17 years old and his sister is twice as old. When the boy is 23 years old, what will be the age of his sister?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Lendale White even said after the game the hole was there, he just didn't give it quite enough time to open up.  He got anxious.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Given to them during their NFL interviews.

50 questions, 12 minutes to answer.  Basic logic and problem solving questions.  Not that difficult for someone who has completed college or even high school.

here is an example.

espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

Oh, good grief! He really IS an idiot!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

For QBs anyway.  But then he never graduated..wasn't he a junior?  He was a poor driver too.........
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#24]
They are basically spoiled rotten youg adults with a sense of entitlement.  Damn, I thought I was talking about democrats!  

But what do you expect when we pay attention to a high school kid calling a press conference to announce where he will play in college.  We are not talking about a hall of famer. A high school kid that gets clothes, money and chicks for free.  Sounds like a song.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#25]
He won't be the first "can't miss" to miss

NFL teams place so much value in the Bowl game performances- or maybe just the media - and I think it is a mistake

There have been plenty others :

jax - Byron Leftwich

Ryan leaf- SD

to name 2
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

NFL teams place so much value in the Bowl game performances- or maybe just the media - and I think it is a mistake

jax - Byron Leftwich

Ryan leaf- SD

to name 2

Tony Mandrich, picked BEFORE Barry Sanders in that draft.  No juice, no go.  Sparty loser in the extreme.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Prior to the spring NFL draft, college players work out at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis and take the Wonderlic test. The test is an IQ test of 50 questions. Fifty is a perfect score; ten is considered literacy.

A good description of the Wonderlic test and the challenges it poses for employers was discussed in "Wonderlic results test both players and scouts in NFL" MILWAUKEE J. SENT. (Feb. 20, 2000). That article, and Paul Zimmerman's book, "The New Thinking Man's Guide To Pro Football" compares football players' scores with those of employees in other professionals, such as chemists, computer programmers, news writers, salesmen, bank tellers and others.

With the exception of chemists, the results are surprisingly similar. In any event, the Wonderlic test is merely an IQ test; it is a shortened version of what many of us know to be problem solving tests from grade school or high school. As a basic IQ test, it should fall into the permissible category of knowledge or skill tests that are not governed by the ADA.

Another view

espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228.html

The Wonderlic is an IQ test with only 50 questions -- it's a short version of the longer test routinely given to kids. Players have just 12 minutes to take it, and most don't finish. But, in fact, the average NFL test-taker scores a little above average.

The first questions on the test are easy, but they get harder and harder.

An easy question: In the following set of words, which word is different from the others? 1) copper, 2) nickel, 3) aluminum, 4) wood, 5) bronze.

A tougher one: A rectangular bin, completely filled, holds 640 cubic feet of grain. If the bin is 8 feet wide and 10 feet long, how deep is it?

Some teams consider the test results critical. Others say they dismiss the results, except for players who score at the extremes. What's an extreme? Well, former Bengals punter and Harvard grad Pat McInally scored a perfect 50 -- the only NFL player known to do so -- while at least one player, it is rumored, scored a 1. Charlie Wonderlic Jr., president of Wonderlic Inc., says, "A score of 10 is literacy, that's about all we can say." If that's the case, more than a few pros are being delivered the Books-on-Tape version of the playbook.

But players scoring too high are also suspect. If a player is smart, his potential to be a smartass increases exponentially.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
VINCE IS STOOPID?

Still upset your team got its ass handed to them a lil over a year ago?  Seems then he was smart enough to own your team, among others.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#30]
ARDOC,

Maybe you didnt understand what I was saying. The players are the ones that don't take this test very seriously and thats because in years past it has had very little effect on draft status.  Perhaps it will bump you up a notch or two or drop you down a spot or two but other than that it doesnt affect your status too much.

Why?

Because it is a poor predictor of success in the NFL. As an example, Dan Marino scored a 14 on this exam. However, we all know Dan Marino turned out to be a Hall of Famer.

The only reason it might effect Young more than others is because Texas does not run a pro-style offense and some GMs are concerned that Vince Young will not be able to adapt. This score may solidify that belief in their minds.

It was stupid of him to slack off on the Wonderlic (ill assume he slacked off because a 6 means you are illiterate and mentally handicapped) but its honestly one of the least important tests of the combine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
ARDOC,

Maybe you didnt understand what I was saying. The players are the ones that don't take this test very seriously and thats because in years past it has had very little effect on draft status.  Perhaps it will bump you up a notch or two or drop you down a spot or two but other than that it doesnt affect your status too much.

Why?

Because it is a poor predictor of success in the NFL. As an example, Dan Marino scored a 14 on this exam. However, we all know Dan Marino turned out to be a Hall of Famer.

The only reason it might effect Young more than others is because Texas does not run a pro-style offense and some GMs are concerned that Vince Young will not be able to adapt. This score may solidify that belief in their minds.

It was stupid of him to slack off on the Wonderlic (ill assume he slacked off because a 6 means you are illiterate and mentally handicapped) but its honestly one of the least important tests of the combine.

Thats only true IF you scored over 10.  Dan Marino scored 14 which past the retard level.  But to score a 6 is also a serious problem and may indicate learning disabilities.  Regardless, it will decrease his draft status.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
VINCE IS STOOPID?

Still upset your team got its ass handed to them a lil over a year ago?  Seems then he was smart enough to own your team, among others.

Not at all.  We gave that game away.  You could pick the first selection for each question and get better in then a 6.  Stoopid is plain stoopid.  The NFL will reveal the truth when he hits the field.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Puff-Puff-Pass?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Who has his degree & is actually a pretty smart guy, if you've ever heard him do an interview. He just likes to smoke his pot, is all.    
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Donovan McNabb scored a 12, IIRC???????
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:50:45 AM EDT
[#37]
It's a shame to hear "we gave that game away" or "they gave that game away" from grown men.  You got your asses beat by a QB who just scored a 6!  Live with it you crying babies.   I don't know whats worse, scoring a 6 or coming here posting a story with no link for verification.  

Just because michigan sucks in bowl games against the big 12 the last two years, and the NB loss had to be really, really, really painful.  Don't be drinking some hateraid about Vince Young.  I think he is a good player and I don't even root for UT.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#38]
www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

COMBINE OFFICIAL SCREWED UP VINCE'S WONDERLIC

A league source tells us that Texas quarterback Vince Young indeed scored a six on the Wonderlic test on Saturday -- but that the guy who graded the test screwed the thing up when determining how many were right, and how many weren't.

Combine officials, we're told, have re-scored the Young's test and the test of all other players who took it in his group.  NFL teams will get the official Wonderlic results for all players later in the week.

On Saturday, there was widespread chatter at the combine that Young got only six out of 50 questions right on the standard test used by the NFL to gauge player intelligence.  We caught wind of the score on Saturday afternoon.  The Nashville Tennessean corroborated the reports of the low score in its Sunday edition.

Whether the actual number was 6 or 50 or something in between remains to be seen.

It's a major embarrassment, in our view, for the folks who put on the combine.  Because it's inevitable that this information will get out (indeed, Pro Football Weekly got their mitts on the full Wonderlic results from the 2005 combine), it's critical that the folks charged with grading the tests get it right.

It's even more important that the scores are right before the information is leaked.

We have a feeling that this one could get interesting.  Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:45:09 AM EDT
[#39]

A tougher one: A rectangular bin, completely filled, holds 640 cubic feet of grain. If the bin is 8 feet wide and 10 feet long, how deep is it?

I hope that isn't the hardest question.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:50:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
He's not that great to be begin with. USC handed them that game when they went for it on fourth down in the last minutes. I have no idea why Pete Carrol just did not punt the damn ball. It was that call that cost USC the game.

WTFever.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:49:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Young will still go in the first round.

The Texans are looking to trade down, now, though.

Maybe Young's test is why.

Bottom line is that he's a talented QB, and, that's always needed.

He'll be a first day pick, wether he deserves it or not.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#44]
According to reports it seems that Vince Young actually scored a 16. While nothing to brag about it is still a better score than Dan Marino among others. Again, this test has NO validity in predicting future performance in the NFL.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Regardless, you won't see any of these nuttjobs at a Mensa meeting anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
According to reports it seems that Vince Young actually scored a 16. While nothing to brag about it is still a better score than Dan Marino among others. Again, this test has NO validity in predicting future performance in the NFL.

This is actually sort of true.  What they are looking for are outliers.  The guys on the edges are who they are concentrating on.  One kicker got a 50/50 and they investigated him for possible cheating.  Getting 6/50 gets you investigated for possible retardation.  Anything over 10 and they leave you alone.  If he got a 16, he should do fine.

As someone pointed they are appling to play in the NFL and not attend a Mensa convention.

But stupid QBs with lots of skill have not done well in the past.  And smart QBs with mediocre skills have done very well.  A lot of UM QBs are like that.   Griese, Brady, Grbac, Collins, were all good QBs but they are were also extremely smart.  But they didnt have the skills that VY has.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Also running QBs dont last long in the NFL.  Even Culpepper who is huge, spent significant time on the bench with injuries and has become more of a true NFL QB.  The defenses are very fast and vicious.  Its not like college by any means.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#48]
He may be a retard, but he sure can play.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
He may be a retard, but he sure can play.

He sure can.  He singlehandedly won both RBs in the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

jax - Byron Leftwich

Ryan leaf- SD

to name 2

Leftwitch is a bad example.
He had the 9th best passer rating prior to injury this year and has improved his numbers every year since entering the league.
He also has NO players around him on offense unless grandpa Jimmy Smith ,E. Wilford and a one legged Fred Taylor are considered talent these days.
I woulkd think Joey Harrington would be a better comp as far as failure goes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top