Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:12:25 AM EDT
Wow.

news.tbo.com/news/MGBTDS73HCE.html

TARPON SPRINGS - Forty years ago, 24-year-old Jerry Texiero left his Marine Corps unit in California during the height of the Vietnam War and disappeared, police said Tuesday.
The corps lost track of him, even as he wound through the Florida criminal justice system under an alias.

On Tuesday, Texiero's past caught up with him.

That's when his probation officer, who knew Texiero only as Gerome Conti, got a call from the Marines, telling her Conti's fingerprints matched those of the deserter who fled Camp Pendleton in 1965, said Tarpon Springs police Sgt. Jeff Young.

Detective Robert Faugno had Texiero, 64, come to the police station, and asked him about it. Texiero denied it, but when Faugno showed him a photograph of the young Marine, taken when Texiero was in his 20s, he acknowledged it was him and said he deserted to avoid being sent to Vietnam, Young said.

Texiero was arrested on a warrant charging him with desertion. He was taken to the Pinellas County Jail. If convicted, his disappearance would be among the longest desertion cases in U.S. history. Some deserters on the military's wanted list disappeared in the 1940s, although none has been caught or turned himself in.

It could not be determined Tuesday how the Marines learned where Texiero was.

He was using the name Conti in the mid-1990s, when he was charged with 16 counts relating to a scheme to defraud the owners of classic cars he sold from a Clearwater lot. Texiero was serving 20 years' probation in that case.

His neighbors on West Boyer Street in downtown Tarpon Springs said he lived alone and had been in the neighborhood for more than a year.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:15:08 AM EDT
Put him back in uniform and send him to Iraq...

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:18:19 AM EDT
Part of me wanted to say "Aw, fuck it. It was 40 years ago, let it go". Then I learn that he's still a shithead, and has a nice record to boot.

Good for the Marines.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:21:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
Part of me wanted to say "Aw, fuck it. It was 40 years ago, let it go". Then I learn that he's still a shithead, and has a nice record to boot.

Good for the Marines.

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:21:42 AM EDT
I was hopping it was Kerry.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:26:00 AM EDT
I would advocate dropping him from an aircraft somewhere over Laos. No clothes, no equipment, no weapon, let him suffer as so many of our POW's and MIA's have. Charles. CWO3 USMC (ret) VietNam vet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:28:56 AM EDT

...said he deserted to avoid being sent to Vietnam....

He's a COWARD and a DESERTER - he should be shot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:30:17 AM EDT
Coward, deserter, thief, AND a used car salesman.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:32:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Johninaustin:
Coward, deserter, thief, AND a used car salesman.

Yep. Send his ass to Levanworth.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:35:05 AM EDT
nah, they just bring him back and have him paint rocks til they admin sep him with an oth. although...if it's a slow day, they COULD go through the court-martial process...

this isn't the oldest by a long shot nor unusual...i believe at quantico they just processed some guy from the '50's. apparently he was wearing cammies and shuffling papers until they finished the admin sep paperwork which took several weeks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:53:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Forty5:

Um, didn't Kerry actually go to Vietnam?

Even if it was to stage his own self-serving war injuries, at least he went...

I could name a few neocons that didn't go, but I wouldn't want anyone to have to label me a

—Dan
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:55:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By danco:

I could name a few neocons that didn't go, but I wouldn't want anyone to have to label me a

—Dan

you don't have to do that, it's pretty evident already that you're a DU troll...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:00:01 AM EDT
Yeh, he wrote a nice patriotic book when he got back after his long FOUR MONTH tour...

BTW, Why won't he sign form 180 and allow us to look at his military records?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:08:26 AM EDT
Burn him.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:12:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cduarte:

—Dan

you don't have to do that, it's pretty evident already that you're a DU troll...

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:13:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:14:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:41:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:

Originally Posted By cduarte:

—Dan

+1

I will use my 2000th post to say a real big

+2
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:59:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
No there have been enough casualties of that war and it's time to get over it. Give the shit his dishonorable and let's get on with life.

i don't think you'll catch too much shit cuz that's what the corps will probably do. the thing is, you still gotta follow the rules and go through the paper drill.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:05:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
This is not going to be a popular reply on my part.

We forgave the draft dodgers that not only left this country to avoid serving but many protested the war and even abused our soldiers giving comfort to the enemy and ultimately influencing the politics of this nations leaving a nations Army feeling betrayed.

We forgave deserters that left the combat area for other countries.

Now we want to nail a guy who simply left, never broke any laws, and paid taxes.

This wasn't the days of the all volunteer military, nor was quiting an option. Hell even conciencious objection or family hardship wasn't a decent excuse. The rich joined the guard or went to college thus avoiding the draft and the affluent with influence served just as long as it served their purposes. The working class and poor had no choice in the matter. The inequaties of that era are now forgotten in time and those same people those of us who served looked at in scorn run this country. The woman most hated by every GI then now attempts to repeat her traitorous acts with immunity against prosecution.

We ride the political climate on this issue like a piece of toilet paper in the wind.

Yea, nail the poor slob to the fucking wall but let everyone else walk.

No there have been enough casualties of that war and it's time to get over it. Give the shit his dishonorable and let's get on with life.

Tj

agreed

p.s. anyone find it interesting we still have deserters from WWII on the books?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:39:16 PM EDT
TJ-- I don't know you but once again you put into words just what I was thinking . The guy did wrong but it is pretty tame compared to say what Jane Fonda did. It is not like he walked off the battlefield or aided the enemy .
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:02:27 PM EDT

—Dan

Then he met with enemy while still a commissioned officer and joined in with Hanoi Jane.

Fuck off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:16:10 PM EDT
Didn’t President Ford give out a blanket pardon for Viet Nam deserters and Draft Dodgers?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:21:06 PM EDT

—Dan

You got any pot left or did you smoke it all?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:35:26 PM EDT
He may redeem himself in Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:45:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
Didn’t President Ford give out a blanket pardon for Viet Nam deserters and Draft Dodgers?

Ford Clemency Program (1974)

In 1974, President Ford established a program of partial relief for war resisters. This clemency program was considered a complement to President Ford's pardon of President Nixon, who had resigned from office in lieu of likely removal by Congress. The program covered the following categories of persons: convicted draft violators, convicted military deserters and AWOLs, draft violators who had never been tried, and veterans with less than honorable discharges for absence offenses.

The conditions under which a person could receive relief were onerous and discriminatory. Persons receiving clemency were required to do up to 24 months of alternative service and were required sign broad oath of allegiance to the United States.

In addition to these measures, military deserters automatically received bad discharges ("Undesirable"), although they could later apply to get them changed to "Clemency Discharges" (considered "Other Than Honorable") after performing 24 months of service. Under the plan, GI participants would automatically lose all veterans benefits, unlike many other veterans with less than honorable discharges.

The program was widely regarded as a failure, even by people who administered it. Only 27,000 of the 350,000 eligible persons applied; 21,800 were granted clemency, mostly men living in the U.S., not exiles. Those granted clemency were almost equally divided between "draft offenders" and "military offenders." Most exile groups based in Canada, Sweden, Britain and France endorsed a boycott of the Ford program because of its punitive nature. The "oath of allegiance" requirement was considered especially offensive given the generous treatment of Nixon. Nixon received a pardon, pension, and was not required to swear allegiance to the U.S. despite his role in undermining democracy. Program administrators estimated that about 566,000 military "offenders" were still in need of relief after the Ford program ended, an ultimate indicator of the program's failure.

Link

Top Top