Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/26/2012 6:40:03 PM EDT
http://defdist.tumblr.com/post/38814117440/christmas-review

Defense Distributed (the wikiweapons people) say they are very close to releasing a file for a printable AR15 lower receiver.  THey posted video of testing of their latest prototypes.  I like the clear one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Coming to a kickstarter near you...
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Sort of dupe.

And I still want one. If nothing more than for a paperweight.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sort of dupe.

And I still want one. If nothing more than for a paperweight.

Call it a bump for the nightcrew with a better thread title.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
link is broken.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Too bad both lowers broke.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder...if a mag body could be printed out?

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
If you read through it.... it seems that this would definintely work with a .22lr conversion. I bet they could even use a printed upper for .22lr.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ask....

http://defcad.org/ar-15-magazine/
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't wait till this is household possible
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I see where you are going......and I like it
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

More of a problem of using lower and uppers specs that are designed around metals, which is why they are testing.  With the current 3D printing tech the designs will have to evolve to take that into account.

A test I did a while ago using the traditional dimensions and specs.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
page not found and shit now

going for the tinfoil
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
link is broken.

Works for me.  Try copy/pasting this:  http://defdist.tumblr.com/post/38814117440/christmas-review  

If that doesn't work here is a direct link to the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhIxey5AXM&feature=player_embedded
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Lol
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
page not found and shit now

going for the tinfoil

Lol
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can't wait till this is household possible

It pretty much is possible today with a little work.  If you want it supereasy wait a couple months until they finish working out all the bugs on their file and then just download their file and load it into the 3d printer you bought in the meantime.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link works fine for me, and seems like a very great idea!

FBHO
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FBHO

I hope they come up with a PMAG file.  Body, follower, and floorplate.  I can provide my own springs.  Prove I did not have those mags before whatever date they pass a mag ban.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmm, they are going about it from the wrong perspective imho, they are working with a weaker material instead of trying to make it look like a lower thats made out of metal they need to start with the basic FCG area and add material to it for strength, make it look like a cav arms lower and I bet they would have less issues.

T
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I kinda wish this had waited until 3d printing had become more mainstream and there was more penetration into the home. Why? Because at the moment 3d printing is in its infancy and so this printing guns thing can be handled now before it hits critical mass. Had we all 3d printers and THEN someone thought of printing gun parts it would be much harder to stop. Or at least we could crank out a bunch of parts before something was done about it. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I love science and freedom.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FBHO

I hope they come up with a PMAG file.  Body, follower, and floorplate.  I can provide my own springs.  Prove I did not have those mags before whatever date they pass a mag ban.

As awesome as that would be I would hate for anyone to steal Magpul design. A newly designed AR mag on the other hand...
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#23]
What is the legality of creating a functioning lower without an FFL?

Are you good to go as long as you don't make them for the purpose of selling them?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#24]
How many rounds are they getting per lower?  I hope to blow them away with a redesigned lower here in a month or so when it's done.  (I have to get an LPK during this craziness )
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I kinda wish this had waited until 3d printing had become more mainstream and there was more penetration into the home. Why? Because at the moment 3d printing is in its infancy and so this printing guns thing can be handled now before it hits critical mass. Had we all 3d printers and THEN someone thought of printing gun parts it would be much harder to stop. Or at least we could crank out a bunch of parts before something was done about it. Just my 2 cents.

3d printing can be done with cardboard, the software to take a 3d model and slice it into layers of thickness determined by the material have existed for a while.

Cat is out of the bag, just for a proof of concept I'm thinking of doing a lower receiver out of printer paper and an epoxy or resin infiltrate.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
link is broken.

So is "gun"

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FBHO

As awesome as that would be I would hate for anyone to steal Magpul design. A newly designed AR mag on the other hand...

At the point at which it would be economical (current panic buying price increases aside) Magpul would not be able to sell them to us anyway.  Materials for 3d printing are still a bit expensive I understand, and the process takes a lot of time.  Before the current mess I could go down to my local gunshop and but a Pmag for $10-12 and play with the latest toys they got shipped in.  If a ban on magazines happens then all that goes away and 3d printing of Pmags becomes not just morally justifiable, but one could almost say it would be a patriotic duty.

However I get what you are saying and would rather support Magpul then copy their stuff.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder how it would hold up with a .22lr upper?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How many rounds are they getting per lower?  I hope to blow them away with a redesigned lower here in a month or so when it's done.  (I have to get an LPK during this craziness )

I think 80. This is just increditable!
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The description on their youtube video said they were consistantly getting up to 80 rounds of 5.56mm out of both the SLA and OBJET lowers.

They claim the lower made from ABSplus in this video is shooting 6.5mm Grendel:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd_8r6okWGE
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, I'm shooting for a life in the 1,000's.  

Printing an AL design from polymer is hardly revolutionary or impressive.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think less consumer grade AR-15 lower receiver and think more Liberator pistol.  All though I would rather have something like you are describing, because I like guns, and like to shoot them a lot.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think less consumer grade AR-15 lower receiver and think more Liberator pistol.

Polymer can do much better, you just have to do some actual design work.  Printing a lower per the AL design is like building a bridge to print but using balsa wood.  However, if you design the bridge around balsa wood from the get-go you can end up with a perfectly fictional bridge.

Every lower I've seen printed is snapping at a 45 degree angle just FWD of here the buffer tube attaches.  It's failing from the bending moment the buffer tube is loading the lower with during recoil.  This needs to be fixed with a geometry change, not a "let's try the same design with another plastic" change.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Caboose314,

Well heck man post up a video as soon as you can find an LPK and get it completed.  I would love to see it.  I also want to see the lefties shit their pants once a viable cad file gets out into the wild and a lot of people start printing their own.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I think we all ought to ban together and print the hell out of some plastic lowers, regardless of whether they'll hold up or not.  Then next time some fudd county offers a buyback program we could go bankrupt their system with our cheap printed lowers and take the money & go buy ourselves some nice rifles.  Who's with me?

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I think we all ought to ban together and print the hell out of some plastic lowers, regardless of whether they'll hold up or not.  Then next time some fudd county offers a buyback program we could go bankrupt their system with our cheap printed lowers and take the money & go buy ourselves some nice rifles.  Who's with me?

And that would be manufacturing a firearm...

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#37]
ehh wont be long before folks figure out how to put a basic metal lattice inside it...
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Caboose314,

Well heck man post up a video as soon as you can find an LPK and get it completed.  I would love to see it.  I also want to see the lefties shit their pants once a viable cad file gets out into the wild and a lot of people start printing their own.  

'tis the plan

I have a design mostly complete, I just need to get it printed and order parts.  I'm looking at early Feb as my goal for a functional lower.  The holidays have slowed my project to a halt for the time being.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Well it broke but I think it's pretty neat.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is legal.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is legal.

not for the purpose of transferring.  Personal use is legal.  Granted you can transfer them at a later date, however if you make a habit of it I imagine the ATF would feel different about the whole "personal use".

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#42]
BULLSHIT Is DEEP here.
There is  rather a large difference between a 7075 Aluminum FORGING and a piece of plastic.
 Get back to me when someone succesfully  prints up a  wheel bearing, or an aircraft turbine blade.
You think someones going to PRINT up a chrome lined barrel?
 How about a bolt ? Just put in an "INK Cartridge " full of 158 Carpenter steel, and print up a nice tidy MPT Bolt?
. Might as well have them print you up a few boxes of primed cases. Oh wait, we dont have Primer INK  in stock.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

More of a problem of using lower and uppers specs that are designed around metals, which is why they are testing.  With the current 3D printing tech the designs will have to evolve to take that into account.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7122/6991453348_3e7228a6c5.jpg

can you stop or pause the printing to inlay carbon fiber and or Kevlar to make is stop from braking they way they show it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7122/6991453348_3e7228a6c5.jpg

can you stop or pause the printing to inlay carbon fiber and or Kevlar to make is stop from braking they way they show it?

Not with the way the current machines work.  The part can't move or the printer will "lose it's place".  Adding material would also take up space that there currently isn't a means to account for during printing.  You could however print in small chunks and assemble them with epoxy and fibers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
BULLSHIT Is DEEP here.
There is  rather a large difference between a 7075 Aluminum FORGING and a piece of plastic.
 Get back to me when someone succesfully  prints up a  wheel bearing, or an aircraft turbine blade.
 How about a bolt ? Just put in an "INK Cartridge " full of 158 Carpenter steel, and print up a nice tidy MPT Bolt?
. Might as well have them print you up a few boxes of primed cases. Oh wait, we dont have Primer INK  in stock.

https://www.solidconcepts.com/technologies/direct-metal-laser-sintering-dmls/?gclid=CL6hkfPnubQCFQu0nQodDCIA6Q

Hm. Looks plausible to me. Expensive now, but it IS possible. Probably not a barrel yet, but other parts, sure.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#46]
So build a bracket to support the buffer and bolt it on in place if the takedown pins. Two side plates and a back plate that would be secured by the castle nut. Wouldn't be pretty but would distribute the stress.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Old news. There was working ones months ago.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
BULLSHIT Is DEEP here.

No one is saying that they would print those. They are trying to print the parts that require a background check and a serial number. You can buy everything but the lower and it is just considered "repair parts".
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BULLSHIT Is DEEP here.

No one is saying that they would print those. They are trying to print the parts that require a background check and a serial number. You can buy everything but the lower and it is just considered "repair parts".

Actually the wiki-weapon guys are planning exactly that.  They want to design a totally printable weapon based around the .22 lr round as sort of an untraceable liberator type weapon to totally invalidate gun laws.  I doubt they can make a semi auto pistol like that, but I think the idea has possibilities.  That is a couple years down the line.  This is just a first step for them to try and get some publicity/funding for their kickstarter.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a 4 axis CNC machine, Solidworks and I am a geek....I have been kicking around the idea of making a lower out of 7075 billet.  

I can't see how 3d printing resins could hold up....right now this shit is just for prototyping.

Actually I think it would be interesting as hell to do a CNC machined billet magazine....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top