Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2016 10:32:15 AM EDT

Three people died when the 100ft cataraman sank in a matter of minutes off the coast of Costa Rica, leaving 106 people stranded in the ocean.

The tragedy - which claimed the life of Brit Ivor Stanley Hopkins, 80 - was blamed on choppy seas and high winds.

Passenger Alexis Esneault, then 21, captures the entire terrifying experience on a waterproof hand-held Go Pro Camera.

The alarming film - the first to show the tragedy - shows the boat tip as water rushes on deck, and passengers scream as they are engulfed by the waves.

Student Alexis is plunged underwater - alongside a mother clinging to her children - and manages to escape the canopy and swim up to the surface by ditching her life jacket.

The chilling footage shows passengers clinging to each other while the boat sinks, and the moment they realise Brit pensioner Mr Hopkins is floating dead in the water.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7093884/Watch-the-terrifying-moment-a-tourist-catamaran-sinks-killing-a-British-man-and-two-others.html
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#1]
There ain't no OSHA or marine safety in third world countries.

You go there, you better understand, you're on your own.

Survival (and safety) are completely your responsibility.

High seas or not, boat maintenance or not. Just something to keep in mind...........and please, have fun doing it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
edit for go pro
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Pic of the boat

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#4]
This is one of the cases where you absolutely DO get off the boat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I would've jumped over myself after that list exceeded 30-40 degrees and swam away from the ship at that point.  Ain't no coming back from that list angle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
at the 1 min mark, the kid is screaming for mom.  PUT DOWN THE FUCKING CAMERA PHONE AND HELP SAVE THOSE CHILDREN YOU FUCKING SHITBAG.
View Quote

Its easy to sit in judgement from behind the keyboard, eh?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#7]

The conditions look just fine for a 100ft boat.  That is just plain shitty sailing.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't understand why they weren't actively getting off the boat before the flip.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
at the 1 min mark, the kid is screaming for mom.  PUT DOWN THE FUCKING CAMERA PHONE AND HELP SAVE THOSE CHILDREN YOU FUCKING SHITBAG.

Yes I am making a judgement on the 21 year old woman who held onto her phone filming the whole time.  Absolutely.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't understand why they weren't actively getting off the boat before the flip.
View Quote

A lot of people had the "deer in headlights" look to them, likely haven't spent too much time on the water, and probably were in shock it was happening.

I've spent enough time on the water (sailboats, mostly) to know I would've been off that ship prior to the complete capsize.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes I am making a judgement on the 21 year old woman who held onto her phone filming the whole time.  Absolutely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a go-pro, it probably held onto her.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go pro you say?  well yes that would change things then.  didn't seem that fishy eye enough for go pro
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

1. It was a Go-Pro
2. You can attach the Go-Pro to things n shit, and leave your hands free.

Go pro you say?  well yes that would change things then.  didn't seem that fishy eye enough for go pro

RIF. 3rd line in OP.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#14]
The minute that boat started to cant like that I would've moved my family to the bow or the rear. Getting caught up under that canopy or some railing while you're wearing a life vest will get you deaded.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A lot of people had the "deer in headlights" look to them, likely haven't spent too much time on the water, and probably were in shock it was happening.

I've spent enough time on the water (sailboats, mostly) to know I would've been off that ship prior to the complete capsize.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny how true that is.

I grew up sailing, both big and small boats. If you sailed a lot, you'd be in wind and weather that would flip you over on a regular basis in the small boats. The key was to know when the boat absolutely was going to flip, and at that time, to exit away from the boat (so you wouldn't be covered by the hull, or sail, or caught in lines). Then, in the small ones, you'd go back to the boat to flip it back, which obviously could not have been done in this case.

That judgment about when and where to go came only after lots of experience, which these people clearly wouldn't have. Very sad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#16]
The lack of direction by the crew is criminal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1. It was a Go-Pro

RIF. 3rd line in OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. It was a Go-Pro

RIF. 3rd line in OP.

It also says "handheld" which makes sense since she shot video of herself. Most distressing to me is all the lifejackets that floated off the deck with no one wearing them. Also disturbing is the claim that choppy seas and wind caused the wreck. It looks more like a hole and bad bilge pumps caused it. Then there's the crew, who left the passengers on top where their mass could cause the biggest problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Outside of their experience. Most folks just freeze up.  It's very likely this may be their first boat ride ever.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Did I hear someone yelling shark?

Because that's what I would be worried about.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Cats usually don't sink like that as they don't have the ballast of monohulls.  So I'm thinking it's likely the cause of taking on water was not rough seas, but some crew or maintenance error.

Also, those are cheap type II lifejackets not meant for open ocean and rough seas.  IIRC, type I are required by USCG here in the states for commercial ferries operating in similar circumstances.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#21]
that was a slow motion disaster. woman was saying boat was taking on water, and then it was slowly tipping to the right. I believe I would have put 1+1 together and figured it was time to GTFO when it was hitting 45*..... BEFORE the boat tipped over onto me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then there wouldn't be a few minutes of entertainment for me. I'm cool with the video.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn that was difficult to watch.

So many things going wrong and no safety measures being employed (other than the Mae West's I guess).

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Recovery divers would find my bloated body locked safely in my stateroom.  Because sharks, that's why.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cats usually don't sink like that as they don't have the ballast of monohulls.  So I'm thinking it's likely the cause of taking on water was not rough seas, but some crew or maintenance error.
View Quote

That looked like a punctured hull to me. Might have popped a seam weld or something.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Saw a fisherman over here 10 miles out in the ocean in about a 15' aluminum boat.  He yelled over and asked for directions.  Kept on trucking out into the ocean.

You wouldn't catch me doing such a thing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did I hear someone yelling shark?

Because that's what I would be worried about.
View Quote

That's what I thought at first but then it sounds like Shawn.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The minute that boat started to cant like that I would've moved my family to the bow or the rear. Getting caught up under that canopy or some railing while you're wearing a life vest will get you deaded.
View Quote

This.. the crew should have been getting people off that thing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#33]
RIP for the 3 that did not make it....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Captain should be shot... I have been boating for 50 years and if conditions are not good you are in charge of all onboard.

Turn the vessel around and take it back to the dock . No reason  these days to have that situation sneak up on you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Holy shit that is crazy.  Should the captain have called for people to start jumping off and swimming away?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#36]
What a clusterfuck.

Landlubber tourists, complacent and probably stoned crew, and shitty cobbled-together multi hull that probably hadn't had meaningful maintenance, much less a hull survey, since it was launched.

Here's a protip:  Once a catamaran is leaning past 35° or so, it's pretty much done.

Eta:  That wasn't weather conditions.  That thing flat out sank.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Recovery divers would find my bloated body locked safely in my stateroom.  Because sharks, that's why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Holy hell... that was crazy.

I don't like boats. Big ones or small ones. I don't like being in the water (though I did earn my canoeing merit badge as a kid, having to unswamp a canoe).

So I make no great claim as being any kind of experienced boat person. But damn.... when that thing hit 45 degrees I would have been already climbing up and preparing to bail-off the side furthest from the water. And I damn well would have been yelling at my family to do the same.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I got a sick feeling in my gut when I saw those canopy crossbars crossing people with bulky life vests tied to them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I must have taken a  good while to get to that point. Surprised they weren't ordered to abandon earlier.

Flotation device + large canopy coming down on top of you = bad times. Take that shit off quick if you think you will be trapped under it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#41]
What a bunch of worthless people.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#42]
When I was in Costa Rica the state of safety down there was quite the eye opener.  We were 80 feet up in the tree canopy doing ziplines.  The platforms were rigidity, there was no railing, one small step and off to death you go.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#43]
That is really sad. Most of those people had no clue how to save themselves. Surprised more didn't drown.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#44]
[removed - Paul]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That is really sad. Most of those people had no clue how to save themselves. Surprised more didn't drown.  
View Quote

I can't believe how many are just sitting there as the boat is tipping 30 degrees on its side and taking on water. I would be jumping off.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I would've jumped over myself after that list exceeded 30-40 degrees and swam away from the ship at that point.  Ain't no coming back from that list angle.
View Quote

That blue awning became a trap.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

WTF? Get back to class kid. Does your mommy know you are skipping school today?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a bunch of worthless people.

WTF? Get back to class kid. Does your mommy know you are skipping school today?

Give him a break. All the knuckle-dragging and mouth-breathing has him needing a Snickers Bar.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#48]
FPNI again
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Its a reef now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#50]
This is what happens in 3rd world countries where there are no safety inspections, no formal training for the crew, no real safety standards.........I would have gotten off of that boat long before it went all the way over.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top