Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2001 4:37:03 AM EDT
I'm Army Reserve, and if I get called up I'll be making about 1/2 of my normal salary on Army Pay.  As such, the Sailor's/Serviceman's Relief Act provides that ALL my lenders cut my monthly payments down and some even temporarily suspend my account until I get back.  My employer also has to keep my job available for me.

SO, what will happen to the Victim's and Survivors?  I believe the familiy of the people who died in the plane crash and in the buildings will NOT receive the life insurance pay off as insurance companys will NOT pay out in instances of terrorism/war.

What about those who survived?  They have no place to go to work now...  but they still have a mortgage payment to make.  I'm sure there are hundreds of people who had their cars in the building's garage when it collapsed... do they still have to pay off the car?

I'm certain the government will provide some sort of relief aid as they did for people in the farmland during the drought and the people who were in the hurricane.

But what about the people who were victimized by terrorism?  What will happen to them?

M.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I got an idea... when they finally catch Bin, they need to execute him Live on Pay-Per-View!  Then give the money to the surviving victim's and families of this tragedy.

I'd pay $100 to watch that knowing my money would be going to help others.

M.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
ATLANTA  (CNN) --  Losses from Tuesday's terrorist attacks against the United States are expected to run into the tens of billions of dollars. Insurance comanies tell CNN that the
industry considers what happened an act of terrorism -- not an act of war -- so they do plan to honor their customers policies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Wyo,

I didnt know if there was a distinction between acts of terrorism and war.

I'm glad these people will receive some financial benefits to assist them in this mess... I was beginning to imagine thousands of bankruptcies filed.  Bad enough to lose friends and loved ones and then be financially devistated to boot.

M.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a US law that allows for recovery of assets from terrorist organizations for victims of attacks.  The law was applied to Iranian assets at one time.  Since bin Laden has deep pockets, it might help a little (assuming we can find where he hid his assets).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top