Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 1:53:30 PM EDT
If you, your family (or someone you know) has been assisted by an organized charity during your military service/deployment, I'd like to hear about it.

I'm familiar with U.S.O., Fisher House, Armed Forces Emergency Services (American Red Cross) and the Navy-Marine Relief Society, but feel free to mention any that you feel provides for our armed forces and their families.

If you know (by experience, seeing it, etc.) they are actively helping is most important to me...

This info will be used to select a charity for donations and I appreciate your input. Feel free to IM me if you don't want to publicize it.

Thanks...

[edited the last sentence so readers would know the reason for the question is for a deposit not a withdrawal]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
[url=www.aerhq.org/]Army Emergency Relief[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks cam_pin... Seen them in action?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society [url]www.nmcrs.org[/url] is great.  They have helped a lot of my sailors in the past.  They provide either grants or no-interest loans to folks for things like plane tickets home for family funerals, emergency auto repair, etc.  Like I said - it's not always a grant.  They evaluate depending on the members need and ability to repay, but I have never seen them turn away someone who really needs the $$.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks H46Driver... They sound like a good one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
WORCESTER
Central Mass. Shelter for Homeless Veterans
69 Grove Street
Worcester, MA 01605
Tara O'Connor, Executive Director
(508) 791-1213 (voice) (508) 791-5296 (fax) [email protected]

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
USO
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Special Operations Warrior Foundation.  Basically it helps out the kids of fallen soldiers in the community.  It gets them through college and there are some other good things they do. [url]http://www.specialops.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society [url]www.nmcrs.org[/url] is great.  They have helped a lot of my sailors in the past.  They provide either grants or no-interest loans to folks for things like plane tickets home for family funerals, emergency auto repair, etc.  Like I said - it's not always a grant.  They evaluate depending on the members need and ability to repay, but I have never seen them turn away someone who really needs the $$.
View Quote

I have to add that H46 Driver is right on target.  They took care of many of my Sailors when they were in a bind.

I also have some personal experience with the DAV.  I was expecting another government-type bureaucracy, but I was more than pleasantly surprised.  They do all the legwork and processing of paperwork and act as the veteran's personal liaison with the Veteran's Administration.

Cost to the vet:  $0.00

Any money donated to either organization is money well utilized.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Salvation Army was a help to some of my troops.  USO, Relief Societies (Army, Navy-Marine Corps, AF and CG, etc)are all good.  DAV.

Briefly for a while before somebody got too sensitive about it we got away with having a few drills at the VA Hospital in La Jolla in the Neuro-Psych Ward helping, just helping and were  new faces.

I might suggest that some of the VA Hospitals in your area might have some needs that some specific directed donations that can help some of the troops.  I think we all try to forget that some of our brothers have been warehoused, doing something for them would be a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks cam_pin... Seen them in action?
View Quote

Yeah, they helped out some of my soilders in times of need and soilder's wives during deployments. A true asset to the Army communty. Great organisation!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:51:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info. men... We usually donate to our local community, but with all the deployments we thought we should reach out a little further this year and knowing a few charities that are getting the assistance to the ones in need is very helpful.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top