Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 11:44:59 PM EDT
Give me your favorite recipes of meals you've made with MREs.(Older guys can use C-Ration recipes)

Extra points given for using the heaters to make an explosion to distract someone so you can steal something to add to it, whatever.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Heaters are far too important to waste in a bomb.  Along with the Tabasco although REAL cooks bring their own bottle.

Sloppy Joe via dried pork patty.(old MRE entree, discontinued in 1987).

Crush the freeze dried pork patty in its package.  Make one cup of coffee using the instant from another MRE.  Make it hot using the muffler of a 5 or 10 kW gasoline generator set and the canteen cup (or hexamine fuel tabs if you have them).  Add the crushed pork patty along with the packet of dried ketchup included in this MRE.  Let sit for 5 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.  Heat gently if needed.

Serve over the crackers with pickles (bring along, always a good thing).  Damn fine eating.

Ham slices.  This is another old MRE.  Eschewed to please the ropers and Hebrews as well.  You need the old messkit to do this along with a good stove.( I had an alcohol stove but one butterbar thought the denatured fuel I brought was contraband.)

Sautee the ham slice until just starting to brown.  Add the pineapple included in the MRE, draining but reserving the liquid and continue to sautee until a bit of carmelization sticks to the pan.  Deglaze with the pineapple juice and thicken with finely ground cracker crumbs.  Yum!

These two are my favorite.  Why?  I had a Jewish Sgt in my unit and he invaribly always got one of the two while I got the chicken.  Trade up for both of us...

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Gatorade bottle, water, tobasco, heaters.  Shake, toss into tent, bang, sneeze.
matthew
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Heaters are far too important to waste in a bomb.  Along with the Tabasco although REAL cooks bring their own bottle.

Sloppy Joe via dried pork patty.(old MRE entree, discontinued in 1987).

Crush the freeze dried pork patty in its package.  Make one cup of coffee using the instant from another MRE.  Make it hot using the muffler of a 5 or 10 kW gasoline generator set and the canteen cup (or hexamine fuel tabs if you have them).  Add the crushed pork patty along with the packet of dried ketchup included in this MRE.  Let sit for 5 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.  Heat gently if needed.

Serve over the crackers with pickles (bring along, always a good thing).  Damn fine eating.

Ham slices.  This is another old MRE.  Eschewed to please the ropers and Hebrews as well.  You need the old messkit to do this along with a good stove.( I had an alcohol stove but one butterbar thought the denatured fuel I brought was contraband.)

Sautee the ham slice until just starting to brown.  Add the pineapple included in the MRE, draining but reserving the liquid and continue to sautee until a bit of carmelization sticks to the pan.  Deglaze with the pineapple juice and thicken with finely ground cracker crumbs.  Yum!

These two are my favorite.  Why?  I had a Jewish Sgt in my unit and he invaribly always got one of the two while I got the chicken.  Trade up for both of us...

That's funny!

I just thought of this. Gunny Ermey could have one hell of a show firing up duece and halfs to heat MREs in the exhaust stack, cooking them on generators, etc. It'd make a pretty good 'Mail Call' and he'd be just the guy to pull it off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top