Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 9:08:30 PM EDT
Do you think a Veteran should have first crack at a job over a non-Veteran?

Yes or no
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
YEs.
However, the most qualified person should get the job.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

Should it be required for private companies? No.
Shoudl it be required for .gov jobs? Yes.

would i hire an equally qualified vet over a non-vet? Yes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming he has the same qualifications as every other potential applicant, and the only difference among them is the fact that he has veterans credit, then, yes, he should get hired first!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Well here is the deal, Where I work we have Temps, lots of them. ANyway when it is time to get a temp hired, I could really give a shit less about them because most of them are lazy punk kids who dont know what work is.

Anyway we have one young kid, who was with 3rd ID in OIF and 10th Mountain in OEF, this kid is a hell of a worker. Three times now they have told this Veteran that he is going to be hired, and then they hire some lazy ass punk in front of him. My boss told this was going to be "his time" so, I thought good deal he gets a good job with some good pay and benefits.

Well they fucked the Veteran again today and when I started to inquire about it my boss (A Former Maraine) told me that they changed their mind and hired this other kid who has never once worked in the department that was hiring, and said he would be first on the list the next time. NOw that is three times they fucked this Veteran over.......................Semper Fi My ass, That mother fucker could care less about a Veteran

So I go into HR..............HR Director is a Former Army Officer, and he gave me the song and dance that he will eventually get hired just not now.
SO I asked him about Vets Prefrence, and how come out of the last 12 people that they have hired are all non-Veterans.

HE couldn't answer me
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes

eta: assuming similar qualifications
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
All else being equal...yeah
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
A definite yes for working in DoD.   The only problems I had to adjust with is understanding how the Air Force operates and a whole slew of new acronyms.  It is totally diffent culture compared to the Army.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top