Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2009 6:46:55 PM EDT
Every day I see the economy decaying and decaying before my eyes and nobody is more affected than our returning vets. I have decided to donate 4 team memberships to returning veterans who now find themselves unemployed or laid off. Active duty, Natl Guard, Air Reserve, even all reservists recalled to AD and your workplace vanished when your tour ended you will be eligible for one of the 4 team memberships. I have been a selfish prick all my life and nothing made me feel more selfish and now humble than losing my Mom to cancer 2 weeks ago. I am now the head of the family and my Mom was all about unconditional love. She would not hesitate to help everyone out and I realized that during the funeral Mass when people came to talk to me. I can never fill her shoes. I have been in touch with Juan Avila and he approved this thread. If you are eligble contact Goatboy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
bumped
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for your loss. That is something I don't look forward to having to deal with.

Very nice of you to do this.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for your loss. It's the odd twist of life that doing selflessly for others helps us more than doing for ourselves.

Link Posted: 2/9/2009 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
very kind gesture Cobra-AK.  Thank you, and sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If I can help one guy come home and readjust back to the world....
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice gesture Cobra-Ak. I lost my mom to cancer 10 years ago this month.  I am very sorry to hear about your Mom.

Link Posted: 2/9/2009 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what makes ARFCOM great.

You sir, are a true gentleman. I hope that I can follow your example in the future.

Link Posted: 2/9/2009 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
sorry for your loss man... prayers to you and your family.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]
bumped
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Great job - Cobra-ak.  Let's keep this bumped.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Good on you, cobra-AK. Just wanted to ask if you've linked this to the Hall of Heroes forum? Lots of folks don't come to GD.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 2:30:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Cheers to you for your generosity.  If I think of anybody I know who fits in the category I'll shoot them an IM.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 3:43:05 AM EDT
[#14]
sorry for your loss... nice gesture!
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 4:17:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good on you, cobra-AK. Just wanted to ask if you've linked this to the Hall of Heroes forum? Lots of folks don't come to GD.
Good idea

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#16]
bumperooni
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
bumperooni

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good idea

I'm full of 'em.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Classy move.  My condolences on your loss.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#20]
bumped but again
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Good on you. Very generous. Thank you and a big thank you to all of our Veterans, our men and women who currently serve and those who plan to serve in the future. I thank you all.

Josh
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good on you. Very generous. Thank you and a big thank you to all of our Veterans, our men and women who currently serve and those who plan to serve in the future. I thank you all.

Josh
I am trying to help guys readjust back to the world, I am seeing a lot of guys come back now.

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I am a disabled Vet, who has worked in Law Enforcement for most of my life, but due to tearing up both of my knees my hearing my lungs and my back I had to get out of the military and out of LEO work totally. I have been dealing with the VA for several years to get my disability upgraded to where it should be. This really sucks because I know the regs and the system and used to even work for the VA but my case has been lost, mis filed, denied due to not having dates on the medical reports (they were dated I had to highlight them and resubmit so they could find the dates on them) and various other reasons. So I know that if I feel frustrated then I truly feel for the other vets who do not know the system and who don't have a supportive sytem in place around them. Anyways I do have a job currently but on a day to day basis I do not know how long I will be able to keep working due to all my injuries and I hope for my wife and children's sake I get approved for the increased disability before I loose my job for not being able to function properly. The civilian doctors are wanting to do more spinal injections and possibly another surgery to remove the remaining piece of disk in my L5 - S1 space and fuse the vertebraes. They say they can't do anything for my knees and hearing and I am already on all the tops meds for my lungs. It sucks so bad to have been so active and such all my life then to be like this, but you march on. If there are any Vets out there that need help with their resumes or job hunting go to their local workforce office (state agency) and ask to see the LVER (Local Veterans Employment Rep) or the DVOP (Disabled Veterans Outreach Program) and they will help with free resume service, job placement, plus they have grant money sometimes to pay for free training and sometimes supplies and such for job costs (tools, uniforms or etc).
Anyways I know how lost and frustrated I felt when my military career was taken away from me but keep your head up and be willing to go out and ask for help from these people I have talked about and they will help you. If I get my disability increase I am hoping to be able to start a non-profit business to help vets with their resumes and job searches and figuring out their state and federal benefits.
Also there are Vet centers around to offer free counseling and group sessions for combat vets as well.
I salute all vets for their service and all the civilians out there who help take care of them during their service and afterwards as well.
Sorry for the loss of your mother I can only imagine trying to survive through that as II have recently lost my uncle who was a 3x Vietnam vet who helped raise me and my grandmother. Thank you for what you are doing for our vets, people like you doing these little things mean more than you know to our vets.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Cobra-AK, very sorry to hear of your loss.

Keep in mind though, your Mom would be proud to see this very generous offering put forth by you with her in mind.

This is a tag so that when you find 4 members to accept your offer, I will be next in line to bump this and offer a few more Team Memberships to Vets of this wonderful site, in honor of your Mom, your generosity and the Brothers and Sisters here at AR15.com.

––VT

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

very kind gesture Cobra-AK. Thank you, and sorry for your loss.

Yes    
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am a disabled Vet, who has worked in Law Enforcement for most of my life.....snip....

I'm in.  I had good fortune lately and got a job.  Heck, I'd buy one for this guy.  How do I do it?

eta: Thanks to sub, the above poster.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is the LVER/DVOP locator website. It does not do proximity so you have to keep trying nearby cities till you locate the nearest one to you. I have worked with a lot of these guys and gals from around the USA and most are awesome people who truly love helping Vets.

http://networker.nvti.cudenver.edu/default.aspx

Again thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am a disabled Vet, who has worked in Law Enforcement for most of my life, but due to tearing up both of my knees my hearing my lungs and my back I had to get out of the military and out of LEO work totally. I have been dealing with the VA for several years to get my disability upgraded to where it should be. This really sucks because I know the regs and the system and used to even work for the VA but my case has been lost, mis filed, denied due to not having dates on the medical reports (they were dated I had to highlight them and resubmit so they could find the dates on them) and various other reasons. So I know that if I feel frustrated then I truly feel for the other vets who do not know the system and who don't have a supportive sytem in place around them. Anyways I do have a job currently but on a day to day basis I do not know how long I will be able to keep working due to all my injuries and I hope for my wife and children's sake I get approved for the increased disability before I loose my job for not being able to function properly. The civilian doctors are wanting to do more spinal injections and possibly another surgery to remove the remaining piece of disk in my L5 - S1 space and fuse the vertebraes. They say they can't do anything for my knees and hearing and I am already on all the tops meds for my lungs. It sucks so bad to have been so active and such all my life then to be like this, but you march on. If there are any Vets out there that need help with their resumes or job hunting go to their local workforce office (state agency) and ask to see the LVER (Local Veterans Employment Rep) or the DVOP (Disabled Veterans Outreach Program) and they will help with free resume service, job placement, plus they have grant money sometimes to pay for free training and sometimes supplies and such for job costs (tools, uniforms or etc).
Anyways I know how lost and frustrated I felt when my military career was taken away from me but keep your head up and be willing to go out and ask for help from these people I have talked about and they will help you. If I get my disability increase I am hoping to be able to start a non-profit business to help vets with their resumes and job searches and figuring out their state and federal benefits.
Also there are Vet centers around to offer free counseling and group sessions for combat vets as well.
I salute all vets for their service and all the civilians out there who help take care of them during their service and afterwards as well.
Sorry for the loss of your mother I can only imagine trying to survive through that as II have recently lost my uncle who was a 3x Vietnam vet who helped raise me and my grandmother. Thank you for what you are doing for our vets, people like you doing these little things mean more than you know to our vets.

TF: IM sent to you
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Welcome Home always brings me to reality
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Very cool gesture Cobra, my condolences on your loss.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I meet the conditions, and I appreciate what you are doing...However, I would prefer you spend your money on yourself.

There is virtue in 'selfishness'
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I meet the conditions, and I appreciate what you are doing...However, I would prefer you spend your money on yourself.

There is virtue in 'selfishness'
I have no problem wih that

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#34]
bumped
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#35]
again
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
sorry for your loss man... prayers to you and your family.

Link Posted: 2/15/2009 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cobra-AK, very sorry to hear of your loss.

Keep in mind though, your Mom would be proud to see this very generous offering put forth by you with her in mind.

This is a tag so that when you find 4 members to accept your offer, I will be next in line to bump this and offer a few more Team Memberships to Vets of this wonderful site, in honor of your Mom, your generosity and the Brothers and Sisters here at AR15.com.

––VT

Just now read your post. Thanks

Link Posted: 2/15/2009 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry to hear about your loss man. I lossed my Uncle to Cancer a week and a half ago. He was the second family memeber on my side of the family to die in the past year of cancer. That week, he was the third family to pass on.

I served on active duty from 1999-2002 and in the national guard from 2004-2006 and am trying to go back in for another six. I got laid off but am doing fine as I have found a good job and am waiting on another offer. I thank you for your generosity and think that the members you give out the memberships to will be deserving enough. I on the other hand would like to ask you to not purchase one on my behalf. I just wanted to thank you for what you're doing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I know of a place that likes hiring former service members, especially if they have a clearance and/or certain skills such as aircraft mechanics. Hiring right now actually.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I know of a place that likes hiring former service members, especially if they have a clearance and/or certain skills such as aircraft mechanics. Hiring right now actually.
Veterans dont need handouts, but if ARFCOM can help one returning vet become employed it helps all of us.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Veterans dont need handouts, but if ARFCOM can help one returning vet become employed it helps all of us.

Again

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top