Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/1/2006 8:26:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 8:27:19 PM EDT by PeteCO]
Ok, for the last week I have been finding, one at a time, large ants about 1cm long in my bathroom. I have never seen more than one at a time. They seem to be wandering about with no "path" like tiny ants who have found food or something.

This is only in one bathroom of the house. They are usually on a wall or on the shower wall. Again, only one at a time, but I see maybe 3 per day.

I have no idea where they are coming from, or why I don't see lots of them. Any ideas?

I do have a dog and a cat, so any poison would need to be safe for them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:28:26 PM EDT
What do they look like?

Red and black/ velvety look? or Solid black?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:29:10 PM EDT
Hmmm metric ants. The have to be illegals.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:32:37 PM EDT
if you're finding them in your bathroom they're probably coming in from the drains
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:34:37 PM EDT
I had a similar situation a few years ago, they were some sort of wood ant. I saw just a few at first then hordes. . .so I'm going to guess they are scouts for an imminent invasion upon your home. I had an exterminator come out and spray, my dog had no problems and the ant's haven't been back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:39:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LArifleMAN:
What do they look like?

Red and black/ velvety look? or Solid black?

Sort of dark brown / black. Long antennae.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:40:51 PM EDT
Can you take a pic? They may be under your house coming in around a pipe.
Look here for a pic of a carpenter ant and methods of elimination. If the pic there isn't good enough do a search on carpenter ants. They are usually described as "big black ants" and are about 1/4" to 1/2" long.
HH,
Jim
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:46:27 PM EDT
you have carpenter ants. they are most likely in one of the shower walls. you either have slight crack in the grout where moisture is getting in and making th wood nice and soft for them.

ive remodeled lots of bathrooms in my day and ive seen that two or three times. i was ripping off the tile in one bathroom where they had come loose from grout failure and moisture getting to the wood. saw a carpenter ant here and there while i was doing it, i removed a rotted chunk of wood and there was a good handfull of them.

get them out of there by any means possible. ive seen carpenter ants destroy a barn in just a few years. if you can make a hole on the other side of the wall and spray some industrial ant killer in there, that should take care of them. make a few 1/8" holes every 6inches or so and hose them down. check the grout in the shower, escpecially in the corners. caulk only after you are sure that you killed them. otherwise call me in 3months when your tiles start popping loose. IM me if you have any other questions
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:46:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pepperbelly:
Can you take a pic? They may be under your house coming in around a pipe.
Look here for a pic of a carpenter ant and methods of elimination. If the pic there isn't good enough do a search on carpenter ants. They are usually described as "big black ants" and are about 1/4" to 1/2" long.
HH,
Jim

Interesting. One thing the article mentioned wa sbranches in contact with the roof, and I have a huge Russian Olive that is in contact with the roof and right next to the house (like 1 foot away - suprised it hasn't cracked the foundation).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 8:54:48 PM EDT by PeteCO]

Originally Posted By pdynak:
you have carpenter ants. they are most likely in one of the shower walls. you either have slight crack in the grout where moisture is getting in and making th wood nice and soft for them.

ive remodeled lots of bathrooms in my day and ive seen that two or three times. i was ripping off the tile in one bathroom where they had come loose from grout failure and moisture getting to the wood. saw a carpenter ant here and there while i was doing it, i removed a rotted chunk of wood and there was a good handfull of them.

get them out of there by any means possible. ive seen carpenter ants destroy a barn in just a few years. if you can make a hole on the other side of the wall and spray some industrial ant killer in there, that should take care of them. make a few 1/8" holes every 6inches or so and hose them down. check the grout in the shower, escpecially in the corners. caulk only after you are sure that you killed them. otherwise call me in 3months when your tiles start popping loose. IM me if you have any other questions

I think we have a winner. I have been bitching about needing to replace the caulk where the tile wall meets the tub. It's pretty much gone, and standing water collects there. Sounds like I need to kill them off and caulk that gap ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:55:21 PM EDT
Kill them with fire, it's the only way to be sure
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:55:36 PM EDT
Pete, check your house and outside to find the nest, The article tells how to bait and trail the ants to their nest.
When you do find the nest the article recommends boric acid, available at your hardware store.
I have a pesticide license but many chemicals I use are the same as you can use.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:56:30 PM EDT
Carpenter Ants, they are a bitch, and hard to get rid of. You have to find the nest and destroy it. NO MERCY!

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:57:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:04:58 PM EDT

Pete, check your house and outside to find the nest, The article tells how to bait and trail the ants to their nest.
When you do find the nest the article recommends boric acid, available at your hardware store.
I have a pesticide license but many chemicals I use are the same as you can use.
Jim

Will do - thanks. If I call someone to do this for me, it is it hundred dollar thing, or a thousand dollar thing?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:08:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By petagunner:
Are metric ants a direct result of rubbing an erect penis on someone's cheek?

Karma???

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:12:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:

Jim

Will do - thanks. If I call someone to do this for me, it is it hundred dollar thing, or a thousand dollar thing?

I would imagine a hundred dollar thing, but I don't know. My license is a non-commercial license. I work for a city, so to use anything, even non restricted chemicals like Amdro, I have to be licensed. It's the same license but much cheaper.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:13:29 PM EDT
By the way, if you can purchase some Suspend SC, it's perfectly safe for pets and all. No smell, but it took care of a scorpion problem we had and seemed to work wonders for other bugs. It's made to be mixed in a sprayer.

Links just for reference, never shopped here:
www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/pick-suspend1.htm

www.domyownpestcontrol.com/suspend-sc-liquid-insecticide-p-40.html?osCsid=8202daf090455cb21be039cfed22db6b
Top Top