Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:59:25 PM EDT
wow
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 4:02:55 PM EDT by Badass03]
thats nuts

Edit

Any body know how fast they are goin?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:04:38 PM EDT

A couple of inches could make the difference between a violent nose dive or not.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:05:54 PM EDT
These planes say Academy on them, therefore they do not exist.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:07:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:16:36 PM EDT
allow me
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:18:35 PM EDT
Remote controls and a bird bath aye?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:20:54 PM EDT
There sure is a lot of water on that runway....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:24:05 PM EDT
North American T-6 Texans
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:35:32 PM EDT
I call bullshit! Hydrodynamic drag is a bitch! I have seen videos of Super Cubs landing on a portion of river leading onto a gravel strip. Thing is they have tundra tires and are going 30mph. I beleive that at the speed they are going those wheels would be sucked into the water, and the rest of the plane would follow rather shortly. For those who say BS to me! Take a spoon and run the bottom of it under a stream of water from your faucet. Watch what happens!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:43:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lakeguy:
allow me

I have to agree...the image is a little too sharp in the wrong places.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:44:28 PM EDT
Crap! I was hoping it was a picture of the Aurora/Blackstar carrier aircraft!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:47:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By John Parker:
I call bullshit! Hydrodynamic drag is a bitch! I have seen videos of Super Cubs landing on a portion of river leading onto a gravel strip. Thing is they have tundra tires and are going 30mph. I beleive that at the speed they are going those wheels would be sucked into the water, and the rest of the plane would follow rather shortly. For those who say BS to me! Take a spoon and run the bottom of it under a stream of water from your faucet. Watch what happens!

You can call BS all you want, or you could go to the URL at the bottom of the pic and find out for yourself.

WATERSKIING HARVARDS (LOG IN TO VIEW)
Not Made-up at all! A true stunt performed by the Flying Lions Formation Aerobatic Team. Beat this one! You must be logged-in to view the full sized images. This is undoubtedly a world first.

www.aviationdimension.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index

Or go to the team's site, taken from the above caption:

www.flyinglions.co.za/water_skiing.htm

Waterskiing Harvards"

(See images below) - Early morning anglers were pleasantly surprised by a formation of 4 Harvard Aircraft sponsored by Castrol Aviator and Academy Brushware (Pty) Ltd, when they approached the dam from a South Westerly direction and continued descending with their main gear and flap out towards the water. Once lined up the lead aircraft touched down onto the water and shortly thereafter the number two, three and four wingmen did the same. At this point the formation continued to waterski along the waters surface at a constant speed until take off which occurred before the North Eastern bank of the Klipdrift Dam near Johannesburg.

The pilots involved were, Scully Levin - Lead, Arnie Meneghelli - Number two, Stew Lithgow - Number three and Ellis Levin - Number four.

This procedure was done numerous times as the pilots were practising for this act to be filmed and aired on National television on the 13th March 2006 on Supersport 1 -under the title "Aviation Action".

This act was meticulously planned from the flying side taking all obstacles into account, aircraft performance and pilot capabilities, as well as from the safety side, which included us having a launch with 3 divers and a paramedic on site, this ensured that all our requirements were met with regards to possible incidents and at the same time fulfilled the requirements set out by the SACAA, which have approved the operation of this act.

The pilots believe that this is a world first and the concept behind this idea was to make more people aware of the thrill that aviation can bring, specifically to many previously disadvantaged people in South Africa who in past years were never exposed to this type of thing.

It goes to show that South African aviators are amongst the best in the world!

It's a trick, damn photoshoppers! Can't trust anything cool anymore, can you?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:47:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 4:50:24 PM EDT by bytor94]
It was done for some TV show in South Africa if I recall correctly. I wouldn't want to try it.

ETA: Chairborne beat me to it.

More pics:

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:51:41 PM EDT
Time to call "un-BS" and lower the flag!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:51:43 PM EDT

Drive your car over water at high speeds, watch how it planes across the top of it...

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:52:39 PM EDT
wow... that is suicidal!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:55:56 PM EDT
Ahh I've seen that in Europe.......that is how Pols troll for fish.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:57:15 PM EDT
There's gotta be a better way to wash the undersides of a plane.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:34:27 PM EDT

Ever see an overloaded Skyvan go over the end of the runway into the river, and bounce into the air when it hit the bank on the other side? The wheels throw spray 40' up into the air. That pilot was uncharacteristly quiet for the next couple days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:40:41 PM EDT
Mere child's play.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:40:57 PM EDT
That is some cool shit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:43:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 8:45:20 PM EDT by John Parker]
I stand corrected! Still would not want to try that with my King Air! There is a reasone there are floatplanes out there!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:49:33 PM EDT
I say no BS. It is for real. But am I the only one that noticed how calm the water is. It is smooth as glass. I don't think that they could pull it off were the water choppy. I do give the pilots a lot of credit for the amount of control it takes to maintain perfect altitude with only 1 or 2 inches of range to play with.
Top Top