Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2011 3:21:35 AM EDT
Freeway cloverleaf. Notice posted on the concrete pillars against trespassing, camping or soliciting. Homeless person with a sign standing on the corner of the westbound feeder intersection. Another homeless person with a sign standing at the next feeder intersection, the eastbound intersection. I am waiting in traffic at a red light. Police car pulls up to the first homeless person and rolls the window down. Officer says something to the homeless person and the homeless person gets into the back seat of the police car. Officer remains behind the wheel the whole time. Drives to the next intersection and talks to the second homeless person. Second homeless person gets into the back of the police car. Police car drives off with two homeless dudes in the back. Officer never got out of the patrol car, did not pat down the two homeless men. He is now driving off with two suspects sitting behind him whom he has no idea if they have weapons on them or not. I am thinking that he has not read about the increase of officers slain on duty this year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:24:05 AM EDT
They were his relatives..give him a break will ya.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:24:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 3:25:12 AM EDT by Tony7189]
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:
Freeway cloverleaf. Notice posted on the concrete pillars against trespassing, camping or soliciting. Homeless person with a sign standing on the corner of the westbound feeder intersection. Another homeless person with a sign standing at the next feeder intersection, the eastbound intersection. I am waiting in traffic at a red light. Police car pulls up to the first homeless person and rolls the window down. Officer says something to the homeless person and the homeless person gets into the back seat of the police car. Officer remains behind the wheel the whole time. Drives to the next intersection and talks to the second homeless person. Second homeless person gets into the back of the police car. Police car drives off with two homeless dudes in the back. Officer never got out of the patrol car, did not pat down the two homeless men. He is now driving off with two suspects sitting behind him whom he has no idea if they have weapons on them or not. I am thinking that he has not read about the increase of officers slain on duty this year.

Could it be, He asked them if they wanted to get warm and grab a hot meal at the rescue mission, He would give them a ride?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:25:23 AM EDT
He may interact with them on a regular basis and know them quite well, and could be giving them a ride to a shelter or soup kitchen.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:25:30 AM EDT

Probably frequent fliers.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:26:02 AM EDT
Probably "regulars". Might have been taking em to a shelter too.

Its supposed to get cold(-10 windchill) within the next 24hrs around here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:27:52 AM EDT
Well if it was me and I had handled them yesterday or even twenty minutes ago, they would still get patted down for weapons before getting in the back of the patrol car.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:29:32 AM EDT
I don't see what the big deal is here. Its not like he talked the green river killer and charlie into the back of his cruiser.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:30:11 AM EDT
To each his own. Maybe he deals with them everyday. Maybe he takes them for a meal. Maybe he's an idiot. Who knows.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:42:01 AM EDT
Maybe they were undercovers on a surveillance. Or maybe HE was a homeless guy cleverly disguised as a cop and had gotten his hands on a cruiser so he could tote his pals all over?

But yeah, on it's face that seems a little janky from a safety perspective.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:43:36 AM EDT
They could be old regulars/buddies. You don't know the history. I'd assume the cop was taking them to a St. Francis house or something similar, not arresting them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:46:02 AM EDT
Did the officer have a cage in his patrol unit?

If not, serious Officer Safety issues goin' on.

JMO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:46:57 AM EDT
What were they "Suspected" of doing?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:50:09 AM EDT
MYOB - everybody is not like you no matter how much you force it on them.

He was likely just doing ACTUAL police work - you know - protect and serve not meet and beat. Likely giving too decent people who still deserve respect although living in an unfortunate situation a ride to warmer / safer location.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:50:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Neopo8:

Freezing most likely.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:53:17 AM EDT
Under cover cops. They are observing drivers for the no seat belt sting.

It's about revenue enhancement. Move along.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:54:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 5:15:05 AM EDT by Tuckahoe64]
Was riding my bicycle to work down the Colonial Parkway one day when a peddle broke off. Park ranger rolls up on me and asked what was wrong. He put my bike in his trunk and offered me a ride to work. He didnt pat me down.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 4:02:09 AM EDT by jcncc]
It could be a case of very good Police work. He may know the indigants by name thru previous encounters.

lacke of coffe spellin
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:00:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DDiggler:
He may interact with them on a regular basis and know them quite well, and could be giving them a ride to a shelter or soup kitchen.

This
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:00:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
He may interact with them on a regular basis and know them quite well

Still not the best move. A local police chief around here was killed because he didn't take the proper precautions with someone he interacted with on a regular basis and knew very well. He was the town drunk/druggie and was on something. The chief handcuffed him with his hands in front of him instead of behind him. Somehow a gun the chief had slipped through the seat and the guy in the back picked it up and shot the chief while they were driving. Drugs are a hell of a thing.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:03:53 AM EDT
Maybe the PoPo should do a pat down and cavity search on everybody they talk to. I mean you never know, right.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:07:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Schlange:

Originally Posted By Neopo8:

Freezing most likely.

It was around 70 degrees outside at the time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:15:18 AM EDT
Not everyone needs to be patted down for officer safety. You have to have reasonable cause to believe the person may have a weapon before you can lay your hands on them. Look at Terry Vs. Ohio. The only way the officer got away with the "Terry" stop was because he was able to articulate those reasons. When you start saying "I frisk everyone.", then you are on a dangerous slope towards violating "everyone's" civil rights.

Yes, you have to worry about officer safety, but we only have one point of view to make an assumption that the officer was indanger. There have been plenty of times when I helped someone out by giving them a ride to a safer location. I don't treat these people like criminals unles they need to be treated as such.

For now, I'm going to assume the officer did a good job.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:16:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 4:16:55 AM EDT by AFARR]
He pulls up to the first guy:

"Hey Bill, it's gonna get cold out later...I called the mission and they have a couple of spare cots. Want a ride?"

Next guy...

"Hey George, Bill's heading to the mission for a bed and some coffee...they've got another space...want a ride"?

Regardless of what some think...not all police are bad guys looking to arrest everyone they meet. It's the 99% of the cops that give the other 1% a bad name....

(For those who didn't recognize it...that last was sarcasm. If any police officers are reading this and take offense, I'll make it up to you by telling you a surefire way to get powdered sugar out of uniform pants!).
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:17:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:43:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Originally Posted By Tony7189:

Could it be, He asked them if they wanted to get warm and grab a hot meal at the rescue mission, He would give them a ride?

Doesn't matter. No one get's in the back of the patrol car without a pat down.

Yep.

Some homeless people are not right in the head. If the officer knew them and he had a cage, I could understand what the officer did without a pat down.

Homeless people and no cage in the unit, equals an automatic pat down.

JMO
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:52:23 AM EDT
Obviously shift change for an undercover special forces member looking for a nuclear weapon or seatbelt violations.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:55:03 AM EDT
If I was a cop I wouldn't have let them in the back of my patrol car at all, pat down or not. But then again, I'm a right bastard. They chose to be out there, let them deal with the consequences of their actions. I suppose if there was no way out I'd do it, but I'd call a rookie to come pat them down.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:57:09 AM EDT

no one? Ive only been in the back 2x, both were to ride to ID perps. I didnt get patted down either time Hey im not a nobody! Im somebody!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:36:03 AM EDT
A Cop Who Just Does Not Give A Damn

You just described most of my department.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:37:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 7:42:22 AM EDT by Extorris]
Originally Posted By 3rdpig:
If I was a cop I wouldn't have let them in the back of my patrol car at all, pat down or not. But then again, I'm a right bastard. They chose to be out there, let them deal with the consequences of their actions. I suppose if there was no way out I'd do it, but I'd call a rookie to come pat them down.

Big +1. If they're not under arrest they're not getting in my car.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:51:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Extorris:

Yup, they definitely deserve to freeze to death.

Wait, what?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:53:15 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:54:58 AM EDT
Well if it was me and I had handled them yesterday or even twenty minutes ago, they would still get patted down for weapons before getting in the back of the patrol car.

And how many arrests have you made?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:56:50 AM EDT
So Officer Freindly gets snuffed by Homless Guys.

Not without a Pat Down.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:58:00 AM EDT

Last time I was in the back of a cruiser, it was to ID a bad guy. No pat down.

Pig is lucky to be alive, I tell ya!

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:13:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ishoot2live:

Yep.

SomeMany homeless people are not right in the head. If the officer knew them and he had a cage, I could understand what the officer did without a pat down.

Homeless people and no cage in the unit, equals an automatic pat down.

JMO

Fixed. But as I wasn't there, I won't judge the actions of the cop.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:22:34 AM EDT

Stupid fucking jack-booted thugs doing something other then arresting people and shooting dogs, god-damned morons, WTF is wrong with them. I mean, in the time he used to actually protect (remove homeless from potentially bad traffic situation) and serve (give em a ride) he could have arrested three people for jay walking, one for marijuana possession, shot 2 dogs and written five speeding tickets so we all can feel safer.

Fuckin cops, man, always trying to keep us down and never doing anything useful, don't they realize that I PAY THEIR SALARY!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:25:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Phoebus:
Originally Posted By Extorris:

Yup, they definitely deserve to freeze to death.
Wait, what?

That's why we have a Homeless Outreach Unit, so I don't have to smell some homeless skell in my car. Sorry, not my job to shuttle homeless people to shelters.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:26:31 AM EDT
Assumptions...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:26:41 AM EDT

If you did something about the violations, you'd have paperwork to do, but a ride to the shelter solves the problem for everyone with no drama.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:26:54 AM EDT
So I guess the proper thing for the cop to do was run the homeless guys over.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:27:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SUPER_SIX_ONE:

Stupid fucking jack-booted thugs doing something other then arresting people and shooting dogs, god-damned morons, WTF is wrong with them. I mean, in the time he used to actually protect (remove homeless from potentially bad traffic situation) and serve (give em a ride) he could have arrested three people for jay walking, one for marijuana possession, shot 2 dogs and written five speeding tickets so we all can feel safer.

Fuckin cops, man, always trying to keep us down and never doing anything useful, don't they realize that I PAY THEIR SALARY!

Don't forget that everyone within 21 feet gets a full pat down...officer safety and all that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:33:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:33:19 AM EDT
Or they could have been other cops running radar for the car down the road. They used to do that in Chandler-get a power company bucket truck and send one cop up in the bucket so they looked like they were working, and there were 2 sets of motorcycle cops on either side of the road down a bit from the truck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:38:46 AM EDT
He should have sprayed them with OC, proned them out and possibly tased them for compliance.

It actually sounds like an officer was using discretion to deal with it. Maybe if you raise a stink, they can make a policy that would force him to treat everybody like they're in the process of committing a violent felony.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:42:06 AM EDT

Well put on a uniform and show them how it's done.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:53:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:01:21 AM EDT
If I was stranded, broke down, or for any reason needed a ride, and a police officer offered one with the condition of a pat down, I would politely decline the"charity" and walk as far as necessary. No thanks.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:07:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:08:23 AM EDT
Family?

Suppliers /Customers?

The next shift?

What about the famous "Dept. Policy"?

Who knows - his call, his business, his problem.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top