Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2001 6:25:15 PM EDT
ROCKS!

Damn, that was a great opener.  I get the distinct feeling this new series is going to be full of more action such as phaser fights and nudity.  :)

That new Vulcan chick is ungodly [b]HOT[/b] [:P]

I wonder if she'll marry me...

Anyway, what did everyone else think?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't ruin it, people out on the west coast haven't seen it yet. [;)]

I must say that I didn't watch Deep Space Nine since the first season and never got into Voyager (except to flip it on to see 7 of 9).  I am looking forward to this though.  Star Trek isn't Star Trek without the Enterprise.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
SH*T!  I new I wanted to watch something tonight.  Will they air it again?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh! Just 30 minutes away! Can't wait!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#4]
You just gotta dig the Okie farmer gunnin' down the Vulcan in his cornfield.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
SH*T!  I new I wanted to watch something tonight.  Will they air it again?
View Quote

My brother taped it for me  Come on up I'll lend it to you. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm afraid she will never marry you.......it wouldn't be logical [:D]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Been a Trek fan for many years... seen 'em all.  Wasn't sure about the new show at first just based on the opening theme song.  Rude Stewart?  Anyway, thought it was pretty good after all.  And yes, that little Vulcan is HOT!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean Klingon.

Yes, great show.  I was impressed.  Must better than I was expecting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Good show. Very entertaining. Nice to see a beginning crew not quite so polished as the later crews. The Vulcan chic was not Vulcan enough. She showed too many emotions/expressions. She also moved around too much. Bacula as captain shows potential. Lots of room for development. I like the concept of a Vulcan as the Science Officer, just like Spock.

Back to reality, the Vulcan chick was really hot. What a babe. Not exactly a Seven of Nine but a hell of a lot of potential.

I think this show will be worth watching. Especially the Vulcan. Roddenberry would be proud.

[beer]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]
Quoted:
View Quote
[/b]

Just for the record that was a Klingon not a Vulcan in his cornfield.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if they will repeat the show on saturdays like they did Voyager.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, they will repeat later in the week.  Maybe Saturday.

That decontamination scene was dumb.  Just a way to oogle their bodies.   They didn't decontaminate the Captain did they?   hmm.

Warp 4.4...  sheesh.  Oh, and that is the OLD warp standard.  It changed from TOS to TNG, so it is probably like warp .07 or something. lol.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I am just a nit picker and can't help it. Liked the show though so don't get me wrong.
I thought the ship was too advanced looking.
Look back at the older ship designs in TNG, it is too modern.
It was cool though to give an origin of the opening line, you know the "to boldly go where no man has gone before."
Their gear is a little too "new". The communicators flip open by themselves. So then why 100 years later does Kirk have to do it by hand?
And why the new klingons?
Oh and the "sweet spot". Obvious fore shadowing, but it doesn't make sense. The artificial gravity also prevents them from being squashed like bugs. So anyone caught in that spot would be red paste on the wall if the ship had to manuver.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#16]
For everyone else that's ogling the new Vulcan, she's Jolene Blalock, and there's some rather hot pics of her in the new Maxim.

SeMPer Fi
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#17]
ArrrGHH!
DirecTV SUCKS ASS here in the Northwest!
They don't carry UPN, even as a pay local broadcast TV station.
I have three more months before my DirecTV dish and receivr become pit targets and I have ATT cable!
I guess I'll have to watch The West Wing to make up for it.
Barf!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://www.startrek.com/launch/crew/art/crew_tpolpic.jpg[/img]

Ehhh she's ok.........

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#20]
That photo does not do her justice. Hot is an understatement!

The scene with her in a tank top was outstanding!

I want to go to space, the final frontier.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am just a nit picker and can't help it. Liked the show though so don't get me wrong.
I thought the ship was too advanced looking.
Look back at the older ship designs in TNG, it is too modern.
View Quote

Well, ya know, special effects HAVE improved a bit since 1969...

Their gear is a little too "new". The communicators flip open by themselves. So then why 100 years later does Kirk have to do it by hand?
View Quote

They had to do that. Stuff we have NOW is more advanced than most of the gear in the original Star Trek.

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#22]
That was a damn good show. It's refreshing to see a "Star Trek" series that breaks the conception that all of the others have set for it.
Oh ya, and that vulcan chick is hot.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#23]
The only thing I didn't like about the show was the Klingon. He's a new one. The new ones didn't appear until sometime between Kirk and Picard. It was supposed to be a genetic manipulation done deliberately by the Klingons because they didn't like looking  like humans so much. Frankly..for a fan it's bothersome. Otherwise, great episode.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Are the klingons the old style FDCGHs or the new style bumpyhead FDCGHs?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Imbro,

New style.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Missed the show...any ferengis?

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Must say I liked it.  Back to the manly captain, hot babes, tension  between races, and exploration.  I loved Next Generation but it was too touchy feely PC at times.  I hope this series keeps following the trends of the opener.

Me likee.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#28]
"Im showing amazing restraint by not knocking your Vulcan ass to the floor"

Gotta love Bacula as the new captain.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not sure I'd put Bacula in the "manly captain" category, but the rest of the characters are great. I especially like the fact that holo-decks haven't been invented yet (and even transporter technology is a little shaky at this point) — Now the writers don't have any excuse to do another of those hokey "period-pieces". This is a show about space exploration, dammit, not the roaring twenties!

Stuff we have NOW is more advanced than most of the gear in the original Star Trek.
View Quote

You have to remember that personal computers didn't even exist at the time of the orignal series — which explains the really cheezy shipboard computer...
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#30]
"...Neptune and back in 6 minutes..."

Better than I thought it was going to be.
Glad to see NX-01 [i]ENTERPRISE[/i] on the ship; I read it wouldn't have the name, only #'s.

That Dr.'s smile was freaky, man!  (Kinda like Jack Nicholson's Joker...)

Did I like the show?
My dog's name is "BONES" and the cat's name is "7 of 9".
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:47:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I have to admit that this was the best opener that I have seen. A big "Two Thumbs UP"[beer]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:05:01 AM EDT
[#32]
My humblest apologies for mislabeling the Klingon as a Vucan.

(Damned Trekkies [:E])
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:12:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I was seriously expecting the worst when I heard that Bakula was going to be captain, and then over the last few days hearing Rod Stewart and some cheesy 'alternative' music being played during the commercials, _but_

Aside from the music I was actually pleasantly surprised, Bakula's doing a decent job, the new species are interesting, gotta love the Farscape-esque planetside scenes, my minor beefs are the Klingon's (of course) and the Vulcan's are being way too emotional, heck I thought Tuvak displayed too much emotion at times.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Steve-in-VA,
Send me an AR mag and I'll send you a copy of the show.  I have to pay for the tape and shipping somehow...
View Quote

How bout an extra charging handle, I've got two I don't need . . .
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#35]
"Aside from the music I was actually pleasantly surprised, Bakula's doing a decent job, the new species are interesting, gotta love the Farscape-esque
                       planetside scenes, my minor beefs are the Klingon's (of course) and the Vulcan's are being way too emotional, heck I thought Tuvak displayed too
                       much emotion at times." posted by shazbat

Interesting point and correlates to my earlier post about this vulcan chick. But don't be picking on Tuvak too much. That guy did a world class job of acting Vulcan. His character was very deep and portrayed it better than any other attempt, even Spock. And there is the point that it's not a matter of Vulcans not having emotions, but primarily that they have adapted a rigorous dedication to embracing logic. They still have emotions and can express them from time to time, they just don't want to. They really had a quite violent past, even more than ours. That's why Tuvak has such horrid visions when meditating.

Okay, enough of that Trekkie stuff. I just looked up some pictures of the Vulcan chick on the web, without being in her Vulcan atire. She is difinitely going to give Jeri Ryan a run for the money [;)]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#36]
WAAAAAAAY TOO MANY F'n Commercials!

I thought the show was just "okay", nothing spectacular, I liked Voyager better...  I wonder if they went with the 100 years before thing for a story line or because this way they wont as much high-tech stuff which would require a larger budget?  Remember when BattleStar Galactica made it to Earth?  That's exactly why they made it, to save on the producer's budget by using regular low-tech earth props.  Hopefully, Enterprise will be first rate and scenes remain in space.

I liked the way they remembered Zephrin Cochran.  They mentioned the recent start of Star Fleet, you got to see the first phasers being used, and apparent first transport of a human (yeah right, I cant believe they never tried on a human until an 'emergency' situation).  And did you notice that the show used language from the first show?  Cochran: "To boldly go where no [b]MAN[/b] has gone..."  None of the new StarTrek PC crap... I guess it was okay to be "sexist" back then?

AND the captain was talking like Kirk "Take us out..."  None of the Piccard "Make it so" stuff...

Rember the movie where Kirk mentioned that the Enterprise has ALWAYS had a vulcan science officer?  This one's got some hooters, just wish she was Blonde like 7 of 9!

Anyway, there were a lot of factoids mentioned in the new show referencing previous shows for the Trekies... I hope they keep this up.

Right now, I give the show an 8, we'll see how the rest of the season pans out.

M.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Heh heh Retrodog, I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that [:D]  I was being somewhat sarcastic when I said he displayed too much, they just delved more into his past than they did for characters in past shows, and thats one thing I liked about Voyager.

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Serious trekkies............am I wrong?...wasn`t kirk and crew the first to encounter the klingons?.........they looked quite human then, also...........
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:21:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:41:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I was a little put off with the Klingons.
In the first star trek they were basically Humans with weird hairdos.
Then comes TNG, Voyager and Deep Space....now Klingons have massive bone ridges etc. On the DS9 episode when they go back in time to play with Tribbles, along with kirk ( a really interesting episode film wise) Worf is asked what happened to his peoples looks. He says that there had been troubles with some genetic engineering...but that they do not like to talk about it.

Now here we are back in time BEFORE the first Star Treck...and the Klingons look POST TNG??

Hmmmmmmm

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Serious trekkies............am I wrong?...wasn`t kirk and crew the first to encounter the klingons?.........they looked quite human then, also...........
View Quote

Actually, they were the first to encounter Romulans.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.startrek.com/launch/crew/art/crew_tpolpic.jpg[/img]

Ehhh she's ok.........
View Quote

Obviously you missed the decontamination scene. For a moment there I thought she was going to strip... [:P]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#45]
[url]http://www.maximonline.com/girls_of_maxim/girl_780.html[/url]
[url]http://www.maximonline.com/girls_of_maxim/girl_621.html[/url]

Couldn't get the pics to work so you'll have to go look there.

edited to add one more, NOT because I couldn't get the board code to work

Pig
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was seriously expecting the worst when I heard that Bakula was going to be captain, and then over the last few days hearing Rod Stewart and some cheesy 'alternative' music being played during the commercials
View Quote

You know, I didn't think much of the music at first, but then it occurred to me it set just the right tone.  It gave the show more of an "earthy" feel.  On the other series they never mentioned Earth at all.  The new music is sort of a 20th century space-race kind of thing, evoking heroes like John Glenn and Neil Armstrong.

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#47]
I thought it was great! Of course, aside from the klingon's look, the newer effects, etc. Plus- Could they make any sillier intro Music? All of the other seriers had good intro music, but these? sheesh...
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steve-in-VA,
Send me an AR mag and I'll send you a copy of the show.  I have to pay for the tape and shipping somehow...
View Quote

How bout an extra charging handle, I've got two I don't need . . .
View Quote

If you really want to do it, I'll make you a copy.  I just need to set up my 2 VCRs first.  E-mail me and let me know.
View Quote

I might take you up on that, but let me see if they re-play it first.

Thanx.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Yup, she's "ok" looking.  JESH!  I like to see what you consider "hot"!  Check her out:
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1207778&a=11644879&p=54580805[/img]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1207778&a=11644879&p=54580804[/img]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#50]
The KLINGON look was a problem, but think about the Next Generation Episode where Worf is seeking a spiritual encounter and some Klingon Scientists re-create (cline) the original "Klingon" (was his name Kaeleste?).  The "original" looked pretty much much like Worf.

Personally I could have done without the body gel scene.  I'd like it to watch it with my wife and kids.  

I liked Bacula in the role.  Made me think of the stereotype for astronauts and test pilots (cocky & unintimidated).

At first I thought the ship looked too "advanced".  Then I thought about how I'd expect Kirk's ship to look if they designed it using today's technology.  I sure hope they'd update Kirk's ship (a bit), so I don't have a problem with the newer looking precursor.

The doctor looks Cardassian.  I thought they were new to Deep Space 9.  What species is he?  

Richardson
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top