Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 11:28:35 AM EDT
Got 5 pounds of venison jerky smoking right now. Starting to smell REAL good. Got about 6 more hours to go, but if it tastes half as good as it smells, it'll be good! I marinated it for 36 hours so it should be nice and tender. Using hickory chips with just a bit of mesquite mixed in.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope you made enough for everybody?  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]
What weight of jerky will 5 lbs of meat make?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

it'll make more deer jerky than 5lbs. of beef would due to how much leaner it is.

deer jerky is bad ass.  Relatively good for you and it's perfect for a snack.

I make mine extra hot so visiting friends will keep their hands off.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't care much for venison steaks when I've had it but I am all about deer  jerky.  If I ever decide to pick up hunting again and I get a deer, the whole thing is going to be made into jerky!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I too make my own jerky along with beef sticks, bratwurst, salmon, smoked cheese ect. This is my latest batch of salmon right before I started smoking it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I too make my own jerky along with beef sticks, bratwurst, salmon, smoked cheese ect. This is my latest batch of salmon right before I started smoking it.

www.hunt101.com/img/362027-big.jpg

nice smoker!!

I have a barrel smoker that an old college roommate gave me.

I like to use  dried apple wood chips soaked in water for a day over the coals.  Water pan filled with beer and apple juice.  I cut the venison into strips marinade in Dales, Allegro, or a home brew.  Rub each with crushed red pepper or Jalapeno seeds, black pepper, a sprinkle of brown sugar on both sides, (depending on the desired "heat") and smoke for a day.  After which they go into the dehydrator to further remove any moisture (unecessary, but it helps it to keep longer).
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
nice smoker!!

I have a barrel smoker that an old college roommate gave me.

I like to use  dried apple wood chips soaked in water for a day over the coals.  Water pan filled with beer and apple juice.  I cut the venison into strips marinade in Dales, Allegro, or a home brew.  Rub each with crushed red pepper or Jalapeno seeds, black pepper, a sprinkle of brown sugar on both sides, (depending on the desired "heat") and smoke for a day.  After which they go into the dehydrator to further remove any moisture (unecessary, but it helps it to keep longer).

Thanks.

Sounds good! Apple wood is one of my favorites! I have a life time supply from the three apple trees in my back yard!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

All depends on the meat. Venison [I only use Doe] will make about 3.5-4 lbs as it does not lose all that much fat. Beef on the other hand loses about 50% of it's weight. Venison is much leaner, has no chloresterol, little marbled fat and you cannot get much better nutrition wise as far as red meat goes.. Also depends how much you want to dry it. I much prefer to have it more tender, and just refrigerate it when done. I have about 20 pounds of venison [thin slim jim type] sausage done up, about 5 pounds of beakfast sausage [VERY good] and lots and lots of tenderloins. [those are saved for the grill in the summer. cut em with a spoon] We eat almost no beef anymore, just chicken or venison most of the time. If anyone in the area wants to try some, they ARE welcome anytime. Deer around here eat mostly corn, alfalfa and the like and taste very good. I've surprised many people who swore they hated it, then found out it was very good. Much cheaper to make your own jerky then buy it, it's usually costly to buy GOOD cuts of meat made into it. Most places use cheap cuts and do not trim all the connective tissue and cut against the grain. Makes for tougher jerky.

And I was waiting to see if someone wanted to know about recipies. I'll let ya all know this one if it's any good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top