Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 6:46:31 PM EDT
I have a question about vehicle service.  I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 H.O. Diesel with 31k miles on it.  I change the oil every 6k miles and rotate the tire every 6-8k miles.  What is actual needed service for this pickup?  I have read the owners manual and of course they recommend service for everything ($$$$$$).  

I want to know what is actually needed.  How often should I change out the fluid in my diff.?  Have my radiator flushed?  Etc.  I'm not worried about rotating the air in my tires like the dealer recommends or changing my blinker fluid.  I take good care of my vehicles.  Most of my driving is highway with occasional off road driving but nothing hard.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
There's no such thing as blinker fluid.  Smartass...

Anyhoo, It should say when to change your differential fluid, either in the owners manual or the maintenance shedule that comes with the truck.  Howerver, changing stuff depends on how you drive.  Radiator flushing? I haven't a clue.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Rule of thumb only...

Oil - 3 months, 3000 miles
Balance and rotation - 6 months, 6000 miles
Coolant flush - every 2 years
Auto tranny flush - 30K miles
Differentials, x-fer cases, standard tranny - 15-18K miles
That's just generalizations though...

Also, on a more serious note
Blinker fluid - add as needed
Muffler bearings - when they start to squeal
And change the air in your tires whenever you move to a different state

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Winter Air and Summer Air.  Driving with non-seasonally compliant air voids your speed rating and makes your tires blow up at 3.45x10^-5 mph.

Make sure you grease your fifth wheel.

Tighten your clutch belt every 3 feet of planetary movement.  This can only be done with a left-handed metric dodecagonal screwdriver.

Change your spark plugs every month.  If you don't, sparks may reach your cylinders and start causing problems.  Spark plugs plug the line and prevent those nasty sparks.

Add a bar of boost monthly to maintain optimum performance.

Your powerbands are out of alignment.  You need a 3ft socket and a 4inch socket wrench, and torque that sucker down to eleventybillion mile-tons.

Your flux capacitor needs the Mr. Coffee add-on to run properly.  Sorry.

And, lastly, your piston return springs need to be replaced and lubed with the wax made of Sperm Whale blubber.

And now, you should have a well-maintained vehicle.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Winter Air and Summer Air.  Driving with non-seasonally compliant air voids your speed rating and makes your tires blow up at 3.45x10^-5 mph.

Make sure you grease your fifth wheel.

Tighten your clutch belt every 3 feet of planetary movement.  This can only be done with a left-handed metric dodecagonal screwdriver.

Change your spark plugs every month.  If you don't, sparks may reach your cylinders and start causing problems.  Spark plugs plug the line and prevent those nasty sparks.

Add a bar of boost monthly to maintain optimum performance.

Your powerbands are out of alignment.  You need a 3ft socket and a 4inch socket wrench, and torque that sucker down to eleventybillion mile-tons.

Your flux capacitor needs the Mr. Coffee add-on to run properly.  Sorry.

And, lastly, your piston return springs need to be replaced and lubed with the wax made of Sperm Whale blubber.

And now, you should have a well-maintained vehicle.

MoparMike, you're sooo lucky I am not drinking anything right now, or you would owe me a new keyboard!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There's not? Hmmm, that salesguy lied to me!!!

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's not? Hmmm, that salesguy lied to me!!!

the bastard!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There's no such thing as blinker fluid.  Smartass...hr

Damn it!! fucking dealer told me to buy 15 gallons!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There's no such thing as blinker fluid.  Smartass...

Damn it!! fucking dealer told me to buy 15 gallons!

The bastard!  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Rule of thumb only...

Oil - 3 months, 3000 miles
Balance and rotation - 6 months, 6000 miles
Coolant flush - every 2 years
Auto tranny flush - 30K miles
Differentials, x-fer cases, standard tranny - 15-18K miles
That's just generalizations though...

Also, on a more serious note
Blinker fluid - add as needed
Muffler bearings - when they start to squeal
And change the air in your tires whenever you move to a different state

Wow never thought of that.  I did know to change my air with the seasons but never considered this when moving.  Does this apply to travel when you cross the state line.  Does mapquest mark the nearest gas stations that offer this service?

Also go with the synthetic blinker fluid.  It's great.  Cost's almost double but you only have to change it every 12,000 flashes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top