Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2017 11:12:32 AM EDT
Sounds like he dropped his pistol and tried to catch it according to FB accounts and such

a grim reminder about if ya drop it just let it go

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/06/12/vancouver-man-dies-after-shooting-competition-accident.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
They do shoot  IPSC / USPSA in Canada.  The president of IPSC supposedly even lives there.

And it's not unusual to disable the grip safety on an IPSC "race gun" (although it is a very very bad idea, IMHO).
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Tragic. May he RIP.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They do shoot  IPSC / USPSA in Canada.  The president of IPSC supposedly even lives there.

And it's not unusual to disable the grip safety on an IPSC "race gun" (although it is a very very bad idea, IMHO).
View Quote
bet he wont do that again
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, that sucks.  First shooting-sport fatality I can remember hearing about in a long, long time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Sad
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Damn, that sucks.  First shooting-sport fatality I can remember hearing about in a long, long time.
View Quote
There was one in California in 2015 or so IIRC

it was Jan 2017
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1955120_One-Dead-at-local-So--Cal-shooting-range--sounds-like-AD-.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't know him personally, but a few of my pals did.  

RIP Richard Cho
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#8]
This is why if guns/knifes fall you let them fall and don't try to grab them on the way down. Sad.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Accidents are EXTREMELY rare in the sport of USPSA, 3gun / multi-gun, IPSC, IDPA, etc.

Fatalities are virtually unheard of.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like he gets to visit the big "DQ" in the sky... being a competition shooter I'm sure he's laughing at that joke in heaven.

In all seriousness... prayers for his family and hopefully it doesn't affect the range and its owners.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn, what a shame.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
In a IDPA magazine last year it showed some guys shooting in Italy I think in a salt mine and they were all wearing soft armor. I thought that was pretty smart. I wish that it was done here state side.

And at the Skip-J range in Anderson SC a girl was killed last year. Not sure if it was at a match.

I no longer attend that match because how sketchy that place is set up.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Dont try to catch the fucking gun, especially a competition gun.  That sucks, RIP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a shame
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#15]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#16]
If it was a glock he would be alive...

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Did he take it to the body, or to the face?

Would armor have even been a factor here?

....I always visualize myself taking one to the face, so letting the gun fall is easy for me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Man, that sucks.  It's just one of those things where you're so conditioned to try to catch things that you drop, very hard habit to break.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#19]
We had a fatality here in CA not to long ago.  A freakishly weird skip off the rifle range stuck and killed a USPSA competitor while he was standing around with his squad mates.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is why if guns/knifes fall you let them fall and don't try to grab them on the way down. Sad.
View Quote
True! But more people believe the Hollywood version.

True Lies - gun falling down stairs
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

....I always visualize myself taking one to the face, so letting the gun fall is easy for me.
View Quote
Sounds like the torso somewhere
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#22]
His safety was not removed or disabled. He was hit in the chest. It is not known if the gun was dropped and he tried to catch it, or if he snagged it on a door frame etc. It is a very sad thing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Never, ever, ever try to "catch" a dropped gun.

And THIS is exactly why.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I've never even considered dropping a handgun before. Or more importantly what I would do if I dropped one?

I'm sorry to hear this but I am glad people are mentioning the obvious response or with the correct response would be, to let the gun hit the ground. 
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There was one in California in 2015 or so IIRC

it was Jan 2017
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1955120_One-Dead-at-local-So--Cal-shooting-range--sounds-like-AD-.html
View Quote
Different deal.  He was shot from a stray round from a non-competitor in another bay who was blasting away.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Absolutely. I knew a lady back in the 70's who dropped a .25 of some type from her purse. She bent over to catch it but the gun hit the ground and discharged. She survived but she lost an eye and suffered brain damage. It was pretty awful.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've never even considered dropping a handgun before. Or more importantly what I would do if I dropped one?

I'm sorry to hear this but I am glad people are mentioning the obvious response or with the correct response would be, to let the gun hit the ground. 
View Quote
Happens eventually if you shoot enough, especially competition or in shitty weather.  The impulse is to catch it.  It truly sucks watching a pistol hit the concrete deck, strike the slide cover plate (back) looking down the barrel.  Nothing happened of course , but it sucks.

competition is incredibly safe, I'd bet more people die as a percentage of participants playing softball or kayaking.  I shot IDPA circuit for almost 10 years and all incidents I saw were minor errors negated by following the 4 rules.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Man thats sad. 

Fortunately I'm incompetent enough if I drop something I'm usually so surprised the object hits the ground before I even have time to react. Reflexes like a stoned dog. Oh yeah. 
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I never cared for the way IDPA allows pretty much any trigger weight.  Just asking for problems.  not to mention, who the Hell runs an issue/duty/home-defense gun with a 2# trigger?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In a IDPA magazine last year it showed some guys shooting in Italy I think in a salt mine and they were all wearing soft armor. I thought that was pretty smart. I wish that it was done here state side.

And at the Skip-J range in Anderson SC a girl was killed last year. Not sure if it was at a match.

I no longer attend that match because how sketchy that place is set up.

https://s7.postimg.org/oirc61rob/Untitled.png
View Quote
Screw that noise.

The shooting sports has fewer injuries per capita than bowling.  This unfortunate incident aside, we're fine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same with the clothes iron, a torch, soldering iron, snakes, dildos, scissors, cats, etc.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#34]
It should be the fifth rule: Never try to catch a falling gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#35]
It's been years since I shot IPSC/USPSA, but I think I met him at a match in the Seattle area around 2006.  If it's the same guy, he was a good competitor and was very nice and helpful to me as a relatively new competitor.  Either way, this is very sad to see.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn that sucks really bad but I still can't refrain from posting this gif

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah almost everybody here In ipsc using a 1911 has a pinned beavertail   works great with a  ultra light trigger
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Of course under IPSC rules he would've been disqualified too
View Quote
I've wondered why a loaded gun hitting the deck is a DQ under IPSC/USPSA rules and the best reason I can come up with is that since people have a tendency to grab falling objects, they want people to be sure holsters and other retention devices securely hold the firearm to prevent the falling and the possibility of an accident.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#39]
That is terrible to hear.

I haven't dropped a pistol per se but have tripped while running a couple of times and gone in for the face plant.  The only thing I could think about while time slowed to a crawl is how to keep the pistol in a safe direction, get it on safe, finger off trigger, here comes the ground, damn it sure is taking a long time to fall, OMG, can we just get this over already, SPLAT!  Owww.  OK, RO didn't say stop so let's keep going!

Hope he keeps his powder dry.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've wondered why a loaded gun hitting the deck is a DQ under IPSC/USPSA rules and the best reason I can come up with is that since people have a tendency to grab falling objects, they want people to be sure holsters and other retention devices securely hold the firearm to prevent the falling and the possibility of an accident.
View Quote
Falling gun will normally break 180 as well 
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn.

Guns and knives - LET THEM FALL
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Torso.

I always visualize myself not getting shot, btw. Different strokes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I never cared for the way IDPA allows pretty much any trigger weight.  Just asking for problems.  not to mention, who the Hell runs an issue/duty/home-defense gun with a 2# trigger?
View Quote
I carry a 3.5# trigger
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBIrQV9PxHg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBIrQV9PxHg
In that clip's defense, I'm not all that convinced that an open bolt MAC wouldn't do that if dropped down stairs with a loaded mag with the safety  off.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Very sad for his family and the IPSC community there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Man, that sucks.  It's just one of those things where you're so conditioned to try to catch things that you drop, very hard habit to break.
View Quote
Was taught to never climp a ladder with anything in my hand for the same reason.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#49]
After years of operating and using all sorts of sharp and dangerous utensils, if something is going for the ground, put your hands up and step back.

I dropped a very nice stainless steel 1911 on the concrete doing holster drills in high heat and with sweaty hands.

Once it's out of my hands, it's going down.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
they were all wearing soft armor. I thought that was pretty smart. I wish that it was done state side
View Quote
grumpycatNO.jpg

We'd be dropping like flies from heat stroke.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top