Link Posted: 6/25/2005 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course he was.  Remember how they "ate of his flesh?"
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm lost. Who the hell are ya'll talking about?
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm lost. Who the hell are ya'll talking about?

Robert A Heinlein
Stranger in a strange land.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for ruining it for me pal.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for ruining it for me pal.

You learned to read?

Honestly - it's a good book.  There are a number of cultural references you'll understand if/when you read it.  Heinlein didn't even put in much incest.

Read it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I recently read about 10 heinlein books.
Moon is a harsh mistress and Starship Troopers are his two best books IMHO.
The guy has some sexual issues he needed to work out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Starship Troopers.

The Lazarus Long books have ups and downs...time enough for love, cat who walked through walls, moon is a harsh mistress....good.  Some great points.  Some shitty sections.

Starship troopers is a must, though.  The BOOK.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing wrong with "Friday" either.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Starship Troopers
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Tunnel in the Sky
Citizen of the Galaxy
Starman Jones
Have Space Suit, Will Travel
The Number of the Beast
The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
Red Planet
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

He had some interesting ideas on when it was ok to pork someone.

Anyone know if he lived like his heroes lived? I.e. fuck anything that moves, including members of your immediate family.

Link Posted: 6/26/2005 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
It's been 5 or 6 years, but TIME was pretty solid.  

Heinlein was a strange bugger.  Spoke several languages, fenced, probably shot recreationally...lots of BS going around about his life, though.

I strongly doubt he was able to screw at will.  He got to be an old kind of old fart.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Which of his works have incest in them?  (not that I am looking for it, just curious, as I would rather avoid those...)

TIA

Most of them.

One of the books goes into some detail about arranging an orgy amongst 2 protagonists, a daughter, and friends of the family.  Culminated in RAH's fictional universe declaring it a holiday.

It was part of the Lazarus Long series....think it was Time Enough for Love, but may have been another.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Any truth to the rumor that RAH bet LRH that one of them could start a religion and make millions of dollars? The story I heard was that RAH took the bet in jest and wrote 'Stranger in a Strange Land' and LRH took the bet seriously and wrote 'Dianetics' and made up the whole Xenu/Thetans/Scientology trip.

Maybe just an urban legend.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He had some interesting ideas on when it was ok to pork someone.

Anyone know if he lived like his heroes lived? I.e. fuck anything that moves, including members of your immediate family.

Which of his works have incest in them?  (not that I am looking for it, just curious, as I would rather avoid those...)
TIA

Awww, c'mon.
Some people say, "incest makes ya stupid,"
I say "the family that plays together, stays together."

It's fiction for cryin' out loud.
Just close your eyes during the yucky parts.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Jeep - I'd heard more that he wrote part of Stranger as a warning about 'certain other sci-fi inspired cults'.  Just so I don't get sued...
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I liked Friday as well. When the protaganist kills someone in the first sentence, you are off to a noticeable start...
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Also check out Glory Road. It's one of my all time favorites, and nobody every seems to mention it.
For me it's right behind Starship Troopers and right before Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

What did I want?

I wanted a Roc's egg. I wanted a harem loaded with lovely odalisques less than the dust beneath my chariot wheels, the rust that never stained my sword. I wanted raw red gold in nuggets the size of your fist, and feed that lousy claim jumper to the huskies! I wanted to get up feeling brisk and go out and break some lances, then pick a likely wench for my droit du seigneur - I wanted to stand up to the Baron and dare him to touch my wench! I wanted to hear the purple water chuckling against the skin of the Nancy Lee in the cool of the morning watch and not another sound, nor any movement save the slow tilting of the wings of the albatross that had been pacing us the last thousand miles.

I wanted the hurtling moons of Barsoom. I wanted Storisende and Poictesme, and Holmes shaking me awake to tell me, The game's afoot! I wanted to float down the Mississippi on a raft and elude a mob in company with the Duke of Bilgewater and Lost Dauphin.

I wanted Prester John, and Excalibur held by a moon-white arm out of a silent lake. I wanted to sail with Ulysses and with Tros of Samothrace and to eat the lotus in a land that seemÀd always afternoon. I wanted the feeling of romance and the sense of wonder I had known as a kid. I wanted the world to be the way they had promised me it was going to be, instead of the tawdry, lousy, fouled-up mess it is.

I had had one chance - for ten minutes yesterday afternoon. Helen of Troy, whatever your true name may be - and I had known it÷and I had let it slip away.

Maybe one chance is all you ever get.

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I liked Friday as well. When the protaganist kills someone in the first sentence, you are off to a noticeable start...

+1
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Ive got a bunch of heinleins books, but stranger in a strange land is one of his weakest in my opinion.  there are some good moments to be sure, but all in all it seems too hippie-ish for my tastes.  i prefer the stuff like farnams freehold, tunnel in the sky, glory road, starship troopers etc.

farnams freehold has a bit of incestual stuff, but i didn't find it particularly disturbing, and under the circumstances, it did make some sense.  Hell, if adam and eve were the parents of the humanity, there was a lot of sibling on sibling action going on to kickstart the human race.  i can live with it.  and Farnams Freehold is stuill a great book.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ive got a bunch of heinleins books, but stranger in a strange land is one of his weakest in my opinion.  there are some good moments to be sure, but all in all it seems too hippie-ish for my tastes.  i prefer the stuff like farnams freehold, tunnel in the sky, glory road, starship troopers etc.

farnams freehold has a bit of incestual stuff, but i didn't find it particularly disturbing, and under the circumstances, it did make some sense.  Hell, if adam and eve were the parents of the humanity, there was a lot of sibling on sibling action going on to kickstart the human race.  i can live with it.  and Farnams Freehold is stuill a great book.

I have Farnams Freehold but haven't taken time to read it yet...  I know... I suck.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Starship troopers is his best work, hands down. I love that book, although I haven't read it in a while. The movies didn't do it half the justice it deserved.

"Come on you apes, you wanna live forever?"

Ben
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Also check out Glory Road. It's one of my all time favorites, and nobody every seems to mention it.
For me it's right behind Starship Troopers and right before Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

What did I want?

I wanted a Roc's egg. I wanted a harem loaded with lovely odalisques less than the dust beneath my chariot wheels, the rust that never stained my sword. I wanted raw red gold in nuggets the size of your fist, and feed that lousy claim jumper to the huskies! I wanted to get up feeling brisk and go out and break some lances, then pick a likely wench for my droit du seigneur - I wanted to stand up to the Baron and dare him to touch my wench! I wanted to hear the purple water chuckling against the skin of the Nancy Lee in the cool of the morning watch and not another sound, nor any movement save the slow tilting of the wings of the albatross that had been pacing us the last thousand miles.

I wanted the hurtling moons of Barsoom. I wanted Storisende and Poictesme, and Holmes shaking me awake to tell me, The game's afoot! I wanted to float down the Mississippi on a raft and elude a mob in company with the Duke of Bilgewater and Lost Dauphin.

I wanted Prester John, and Excalibur held by a moon-white arm out of a silent lake. I wanted to sail with Ulysses and with Tros of Samothrace and to eat the lotus in a land that seemÀd always afternoon. I wanted the feeling of romance and the sense of wonder I had known as a kid. I wanted the world to be the way they had promised me it was going to be, instead of the tawdry, lousy, fouled-up mess it is.

I had had one chance - for ten minutes yesterday afternoon. Helen of Troy, whatever your true name may be - and I had known it÷and I had let it slip away.

Maybe one chance is all you ever get.

My wife and I thought of using their "wedding ceremony" instead of spending all the bucks on a preacher!
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA

Most of them.

One of the books goes into some detail about arranging an orgy amongst 2 protagonists, a daughter, and friends of the family.  Culminated in RAH's fictional universe declaring it a holiday.

It was part of the Lazarus Long series....think it was Time Enough for Love, but may have been another.

Lazarus goes back in time and has sex with his mom in that one.

I've enjoyed the Heinlein books I've read, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress being one of my favorite books, period.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#30]
"Job: A Comedy of Justice"  is one of my favorites, but I've read all of his books. RAH is definitely one of my favorite authors.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Steve Perry

- The whole matador series
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Job: A Comedy of Justice"  is one of my favorites, but I've read all of his books. RAH is definitely one of my favorite authors.

not at www.audible.com

Browse through their selections and let me know some good ones.  Doesn't have to be RAH

I have:
Starship Troopers
Stranger in a Strange Land
Friday
Have Spacesuit, Will Travel

and

Atlas Shrugged

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (the whole series in paper form, also).

Any fresh suggestions to broaden my mind?

If you're into sci fi, try anything by Allen Steele.  He has a realistic approach and, I think, interesting stories... Coyote, Orbital Decay, Lunar Descent, Clark County Space.

If you don't mind semi-fantasy, go for the Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead... awesome series about the origin of Merlin and Arthur, but read them in order, Taliesin first.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA

Most of them.

Lazarus goes back in time and has sex with his mom in that one.

Near the end he has sex with 14 yr old twin clones (except female) of himself....
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#36]
OK, I am interested in trying out a RAH book.  Which should I read first, second, etc....??

Link Posted: 6/28/2005 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK, I am interested in trying out a RAH book.  Which should I read first, second, etc....??

1st:  Starship Troopers

If you saw the movie, try to purge it from your memory.

+1... excellent read, maybe even life altering.  

#2, I liked Tunnel in the Sky...  it has it week points but it's an entertaining SHTF type read.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#39]
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, definitely.

I don't get down with his kinky shit, but otherwise, I love reading his books.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

" But I'm gonna get you high today,
cuz it's friday, you ain't got no job, and you aint got shit to do! ..."

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Am I the only one that liked "The Puppetmasters"?

That was his first book I read (well, a trilogy with Puppetmasters, Double Star, and A Door into Summer, a great combo) and yes, it was way before the movie.  Thought the story was great, also thought Double Star was one of his best works.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Am I the only one that liked "The Puppetmasters"?
<snip>

I grok that book too.  It's a good one.  

TC
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Starship Troopers.

The Lazarus Long books have ups and downs...time enough for love, cat who walked through walls, moon is a harsh mistress....good.  Some great points.  Some shitty sections.

Starship troopers is a must, though.  The BOOK.

Is TMIAHM a Lazarus Long book? Been a long time since I read that one and I'm horrible at remembering character names.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#45]
It may be, but I can't answer with certainty because I don't understand the title you abbreviated.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#46]
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress

TMIAHM
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Nope, no Lazarus content there.  

Read it in middle school....god, what a fucking trip.  Not much sex, some meeting in sleazy hotel rooms, and Lazarus books do tie into the Moon book....but it's an interesting read.  

Imagine a war for independence fought from the moon.

Imagine an insane sci-fi writer is in charge.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh, ok.  I noticed his age (just read Revolt in 2100 & Methusula's Children the other week) and the mention of the moon revolt, thought maybe he had a part.

And yes, Freud would have had MANY things to say about Mr. Heinlein, he was all about being kinky. (Mr. Heinlein died sometime around 1989)

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Brasspile,

"Any fresh suggestions to broaden my mind?"

- For something that won't do anything to broaden your mind, but is VERY entertaining, try Peter Hamilton's "Naked God" series. It's nearly three thousand pages long, but it's space opera at it's best. This one also features "souls", but in a non-religous/Christian sense, for a little bit of an intellectual teaser. Lots of sex, but it's with sex objects of the legal, female, OF AGE AND NOT a relative category!
On the more intellectual, but still very readable end, I recently enjoyed Necronomicon by Neal Stephenson, and Pattern Recognition by William Gipson.
Both of these were chock full of those "AHA" moments where you have to sit back for a second and digest what you've just read.

Oh and yes, he wasn't just trying.. he did ... draw a parallel to Jesus.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I liked puppetmasters.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is one of my favorites.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top