Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 9:23:14 AM EDT
Anyone have one of these? The wife wants one and I don't know sh^t about em.  Sooooooooooooooo I turn to the GREAT MINDS OF ARFCOM to help me with this issue Yea and NO sucker jokes mmmmmmkay
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one. It works pretty good. We stock up on meat when it's on sale and package it up. It will keep a long time without getting freezer burned.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Tilia Foodsaver 540.  It's great.  I freeze a lot of fish because it's particularly sensitive to freezer burn/oxidation.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Black & Decker that I bought at Wall-Mart, for $60. It is adequate but not great. I won't seal the bag if there is liquid inside the bag because the heating element is not powerful enough, but for dry seals works good so far. I buy these plastic dish ware type from Wall-Mart and you can marinate meats like in minutes rather than hours because a vacuum lets the meat absort the marinate faster.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Best little gadget I've bought===I use the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+2

Foodsaver Professional II. I bought it on e-bay. Great tool. Much easier to use than the other foodsaver models.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Go with the Foodsaver Professional II. It's the best of the bunch.

I used it to seal some Albacore, Yellowtail and Dorado I caught last summer.
It still  tastes great on the grill!!!

I just got done sealing about 40lbs of Salmon I caught last weekend.

I hope I get lucky and will be using it to seal Deer in October.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+3

A Tillia (sp?) though I'm not sure which model. Works great. We buy large quantities of meat at a
time, then can break them down into meal-sized portions, then seal them up. No freezer burn yet.
Also good for sealing up items that you want to keep dry also.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife got one...Works great on food AND it makes great Ammo "Battle Packs" of loose boxes of ammo.  GET ONE and try it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#11]
We've got one.  I'm not sure of the brand.  They rock.  Food doesn't get freezer burn.  The surprise for us was what it does for cheese.

We buy cheese at Costco 'cause it is cheap, but it comes in huge amounts.  We divide it into reasonable sized pieces and suck them down in the vac. sealer.  The cheese in the evacuated packages seems to last indefinitely in the refrigerator (not the freezer), whereas the unevacuated cheese only lasts about two weeks before it gets fuzzy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#12]
The Tilia Foodsaver line is good stuff.  They're about the only infomercial stuff I have ever bought, and they are very nice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a Black & Decker that I bought at Wall-Mart, for $60. It is adequate but not great. I won't seal the bag if there is liquid inside the bag because the heating element is not powerful enough, but for dry seals works good so far. I buy these plastic dish ware type from Wall-Mart and you can marinate meats like in minutes rather than hours because a vacuum lets the meat absort the marinate faster.

I think I probably got the same model - was about $65 out the door.  Unfortunately the B&D model sucks ass in my opinion.  The heating element/sealer burned out within a very short time.  I'd like to get another, but I'll wait until I can afford a more durable and stronger commercial model.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#14]
We have a Foodsaver bought from Costco.  We use ours a lot.  Beef, deer, chicken, elk, fish, etc.  We also put a slice or two of left over pizza in a bag and it stays good enough ( a bit solft when reheated, but OK).  Hunting and other stuff can be waterproofed.  We wouldn't be without one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Like mine.  In addition to the above, I watch for the premium ice cream I like to go on a two-fer sale.  I'll get 4-6 half gallons and put them in the vac bags.  It keeps for months and no freezer burn.

Think I read on this site that somebody vac packed ammo and other stuff for a canoe trip, and weapons for long term storage.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Got one from costco and love it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:10:46 AM EDT
[#17]
WOW Thanks kids I did go get one its not the Pro model but it works great !  [thinks to self] MUST SEAL SOMETHING
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:14:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I probably got the same model - was about $65 out the door.  Unfortunately the B&D model sucks ass in my opinion.  The heating element/sealer burned out within a very short time.  I'd like to get another, but I'll wait until I can afford a more durable and stronger commercial model.  

The one I bought was about 135 I believe and came with the containers , roll dispencer and a few more gadgets.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:25:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Been desiring one since I first saw the infomercial.

Maybe one of these days.  Would be great for deer & squirrel.

That said, I've still got a bit of deer from last year in the freezer and there isn't any freezer burn on it.  Double wrapped with freezer paper seems to help.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:26:11 AM EDT
[#20]
My dad uses his to vac seal bags of ammo for long term storage. I think though that he was tired of having it and not using and invented this use for it.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Something else I use the foodsaver for:

I bought the 5 gallon buckets of wheat for LTS and flour grinding. When I open one of the buckets, I store the extra grain in 1 gallon mylar bags w/ O2 absorbers. The foodsaver will not suck the air out, but they make a great seal in the mylar. The O2 absorbers take care of the rest.

If you want to store drygoods for LTS, a foodsaver with mylar bags is the best!

Foodsavers, they suck... air and that is a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a little update on these vacuum machines.  On my B&D, the little plastic snaps that hold the vacuum channel in place to catch the liquids when vacuum sealing anything with liquids, the left one snap broke off that contains the vacuum port, and it doesn't seal at all without them with that snap. The vacuum channel is suppose to be removeable so that you can pour out any excess liquids. I called the company up for a replacement, they said that they will send me a replacement under warranty, but I think that peice could've been engineered to be more durable. But for $60, what more can you ask.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top